Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 summit 800r
~2500 miles, sled had new factory motor on warranty at less than 1000 miles. i am second owner. I have ridden the sled for 2 full winters now.

I have my clutches off for routine cleaning and maintenance and noticed the slightest bit of grease around my pto crank seal. I can't remember if there was grease there last time i had the clutches off. I know grease coming out of crank seals is bad, and with the reputation of these sleds i dont want to be ripping it down and missing riding in january. But, i dont know if the amount of grease i see is normal... I assume the crank seal is lubricated?

see attached photos. do i need to worry? or should i put it all back together and ride it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Do a leak down test

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Leak down and compression test are not going to tell you anything. Don't wast your time and if your worried there are two things todo.
One; replace the seal, simple straight foreward job.
Two; Check your crank for "run out" with a dail indicator.
Thirdly; have an understanding on how this motor is put together. The outer seal is just a grease seal, there is an inner seal that seals the crank from cylinder base.

These outer seals are known to seep alittle, if crank run out checks out, no worries.
BTW there is X quantity of grease in the bearing cavity, if it is overfilled this can cause seal failure. Check with your BRP dealer for amount if your going to change it and use BRP "Isoflex" grease only.

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
Leak down and compression test are not going to tell you anything. Don't wast your time and if your worried there are two things todo.
One; replace the seal, simple straight foreward job.
Two; Check your crank for "run out" with a dail indicator.
Thirdly; have an understanding on how this motor is put together. The outer seal is just a grease seal, there is an inner seal that seals the crank from cylinder base.

These outer seals are known to seep alittle, if crank run out checks out, no worries.
BTW there is X quantity of grease in the bearing cavity, if it is overfilled this can cause seal failure. Check with your BRP dealer for amount if your going to change it and use BRP "Isoflex" grease only.
What lund said is correct. IMHO the crank run-out would be the first thing you need to check. To me, the run-out results is the decision maker.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks lund and others-

Leakdown is on the list. Compression checks out. I will check crank run out when i can get my hands on a dial gague.

I apologize for my ignorance on the location and purpose of seals on the bottom end of this motor. I own the service manual, i should have looked at it in more detail before i posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts