Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have a 99 mxz 600, and yesterday I noticed there is grease on the under side of the belt guard on just the edge by the crank and also some managed to get onto the hood. I checked the backside of the clutch sheeve and it actually looked fairly dry. There was greese around the crankshaft end, and I'm sure that is where all of the grease came from. I'm not sure what isoflex looks like, but I have a feeling this is what it is.

The sled still runs ok, I checked the plugs and they are still golden brown. I ran it and sprayed carb cleaner around the seal and the rpms didn't raise. I have noticed that my rpms don't like to climb like they used to, and I didn't know if this could be the reason. I have new reeds in it this season, the carbs are spotless, and the gas is fine. The sled has about 3800 miles.

If it is the seal, is there anything else I should replace in the bottom end? If I do have to tear it down, I'm already planning on a new top end since it will already be torn apart. Let me know what you think, I want to get it fixed if this is what the problem is before I burn the motor down.

Thanks

·
Registered
423 Posts
Is the rave valve on pto side dripping maybe that is whats going on. I rode on a Lg. Lake this past wkend and had a long fast ride, opened the hood when I got home to find oil on my clutch guard it came from the weep hole under the rave valve.

·
Is it winter yet
2,147 Posts
I had the same problem on my 03 600 seal was puking grease out 1400 miles. I pulled the motor, split the cases and repacked pto bearing and replaced seal. It was 70 dollars for parts i never pulled topend down,got a hundred miles so far and no leak so i`m hoping it holds. Trying not to beat on as much as i did before but its hard to doo. Randy

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's definitely not the raves, there is definitely grease around the end of the crank, I scraped some off with a screwdriver

I've never had to tear a bottom end apart until now...hopefully it won't be too bad

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone tried putting a new seal in without splitting hte cases. mine is leaking a little bit and was wondering if it has been tried with any success.

·
Registered
164 Posts
pull the clutch. if the seal is gone i would reccomend replacing the outer PTO bearing and seal. to do this you need to split the case and re balance the crank. but it your seal is gone your plugs should be dirty

·
Registered
486 Posts
why would you have to rebalance the crank?????????????? its just a seal and if you geting a seal use a 04 one it has been re designed to last.

·
Registered
45 Posts
snownuts said:
Has anyone tried putting a new seal in without splitting hte cases. mine is leaking a little bit and was wondering if it has been tried with any success.
[snapback]298146[/snapback]​
Bump..
Just courious also...

·
Registered
45 Posts
meanfarmer said:
snownuts said:
[snapback]298146[/snapback]​
Bump..
Just courious also...
[snapback]299456[/snapback]​
There is a port on the pto side, carb side A nipple to to add isoflex grease
If so How much grease??

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm curious of why you would have to rebalance the crank. I had thought about replacing the outer pto bearing as well just for extra insurance. Will the 04 seal work in my motor?

·
Is it winter yet
2,147 Posts
No need to rebalance, i thought i would replace pto bearing, but it looked like new so back in it went . Don`t know about the 04 seal, i think that the motor is still the same so it should work.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Are you sure its not coming from the jackshaft bearing where speedo cable plugs in? There is a grease nipple there. Has your speedo been acting up? Usually this is a sign of bearing beginning to fail. Have a look and let us know!

Jamie

moser92 said:
I have a 99 mxz 600, and yesterday I noticed there is grease on the under side of the belt guard on just the edge by the crank and also some managed to get onto the hood. I checked the backside of the clutch sheeve and it actually looked fairly dry. There was greese around the crankshaft end, and I'm sure that is where all of the grease came from. I'm not sure what isoflex looks like, but I have a feeling this is what it is.

The sled still runs ok, I checked the plugs and they are still golden brown. I ran it and sprayed carb cleaner around the seal and the rpms didn't raise. I have noticed that my rpms don't like to climb like they used to, and I didn't know if this could be the reason. I have new reeds in it this season, the carbs are spotless, and the gas is fine. The sled has about 3800 miles.

If it is the seal, is there anything else I should replace in the bottom end? If I do have to tear it down, I'm already planning on a new top end since it will already be torn apart. Let me know what you think, I want to get it fixed if this is what the problem is before I burn the motor down.

Thanks
[snapback]297130[/snapback]​

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't think you can do it with out splitting the case. We have done 2 in our shop this year, and repack the bearings with isoflex grease.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts