Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ,m experiencing a loud knocking noise coming from motor or clutch, not sure where . It only does it on hard acceleration, Are these sleds bad for crank bearings
or does my clutch just need some maintenence. sled has 7500km on it

·
Registered
576 Posts
MachZ72 said:
I ,m experiencing a loud knocking noise coming from motor or clutch, not sure where . It only does it on hard acceleration, Are these sleds bad for crank bearings

[snapback]286753[/snapback]​
The crank bearings in the Mach Z tripples in most years in that area including yours are a ticking time bomb. If you have lots of miles (and it doesn't take too many) on it you should repair it before it blows it will be a lot cheaper. Not saying that is your noise, but they had major bearing problems with those engines. Some ran good, but lots of them had problems.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Gade600SDI said:
MachZ72 said:

The crank bearings in the Mach Z tripples in most years in that area including yours are a ticking time bomb. If you have lots of miles (and it doesn't take too many) on it you should repair it before it blows it will be a lot cheaper. Not saying that is your noise, but they had major bearing problems with those engines. Some ran good, but lots of them had problems.
[snapback]287152[/snapback]​
I have a spare crank...

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
the big gun said:
I THOUGHT THAT WAS ON THE 600&700 TRIPS NOT THE 800?THE 800 HAD STATOR PROBLEMS I THOUGHT AND IF YOU FIXXED THAT YOU WERE GOOD TO GO?????? MAYBE CLUTCH

[snapback]288526[/snapback]​
The problem was mainly on the 600 & 700's but some 800's had problems too (I believe very few - I personally only know of one person who had crank problems on his 98 Z and lets just say his sleds are never stock). I think they use a similiar bearing but the oil passage isn't as blocked off like it is on the other triples. 7000 miles on mine ... knock on wood!

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
MachZ72 said:

When was the clutch last taken apart and serviced? I have heard that when the crank bearings start to go on these triples they often throw them through the piston as the only thing holding them in place is a plastic cage (it wouldn't hurt to have a look down your cylinders with a light).

When you say it only happens under hard acceleration it almost sounds like your track is too loose and ratcheting. One thing to keep an eye on with the SC10 is the front arm in the rear skid, particularily where the two "tubes" are welded to the lower shaft. They are known to crack and at one time BRP would replace it free of charge with an updated thicker one if it did crack (it wasn't a recall, I found out about it when I had it in for servicing the second year and they pointed out that mine was cracked). The bolts that mount the lower shaft of the front arm to the skid will also come loose if lock tight was not used and again cause track ratcheting. I also had the lower mounting bolt break on the front shock in the rear skid (that one took me a while to find as the bolt was still there, it was frozen in place but broken in the middle!).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
XcellR8 said:
MachZ72 said:

When was the clutch last taken apart and serviced? I have heard that when the crank bearings start to go on these triples they often throw them through the piston as the only thing holding them in place is a plastic cage (it wouldn't hurt to have a look down your cylinders with a light).

When you say it only happens under hard acceleration it almost sounds like your track is too loose and ratcheting. One thing to keep an eye on with the SC10 is the front arm in the rear skid, particularily where the two "tubes" are welded to the lower shaft. They are known to crack and at one time BRP would replace it free of charge with an updated thicker one if it did crack (it wasn't a recall, I found out about it when I had it in for servicing the second year and they pointed out that mine was cracked). The bolts that mount the lower shaft of the front arm to the skid will also come loose if lock tight was not used and again cause track ratcheting. I also had the lower mounting bolt break on the front shock in the rear skid (that one took me a while to find as the bolt was still there, it was frozen in place but broken in the middle!).
[snapback]288613[/snapback]​
thanks for all your help fellas I think I found my problem, My track ripping apart and hitting the tunnel when I accelerate, talk about bad timing we just got a good dump of snow, Anybody have a track for sale .

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
MachZ72 said:
XcellR8 said:
MachZ72 said:

[snapback]288613[/snapback]​
thanks for all your help fellas I think I found my problem, My track ripping apart and hitting the tunnel when I accelerate, talk about bad timing we just got a good dump of snow, Anybody have a track for sale .
[snapback]288928[/snapback]​
If your going to the trouble of putting on a new track you should make it worthwhile and go with an 1 1/4" (that is if you don't mind loosing a couple of mph up top). I put an 1 1/4" Predator on mine last year and what a difference (both in acceleration and braking)! I never realized how much power I was wasting in track spin before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts