Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got 2 cracks in my hood about 4 inches long each...I wanted to know how to fix them? Also I was thinking.....Buy a plastic welder and weld it and put a THIN coat of body filler to hid the weld. Any one else got any ideas for me??? Please help me out because I wanna fix them asap....Thanks all........

Koby

·
Registered
72 Posts
PRStuner88 said:
Hey guys I got 2 cracks in my hood about 4 inches long each...I wanted to know how to fix them? Also I was thinking.....Buy a plastic welder and weld it and put a THIN coat of body filler to hid the weld. Any one else got any ideas for me??? Please help me out because I wanna fix them asap....Thanks all........

Koby
[snapback]289024[/snapback]​
duct tape

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just fixed an eight inch long crack with a product designed for fixing automotive plastics, (bumpers). It is made by SEM and comes in a two part epoxy. It's really easy to use and hardens in about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had a crack in my belly I fixed from the inside with a two part epoxy.
Any hardware store has it or something similair like NHDooer said.

·
Registered
108 Posts
as any local parts dealer for a flexible bumper repair kit should be less than 20 bucks and it works the best out of anything be sure to reinforce it with the webbing that it comes with

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well, a drill and zip ties work nicely for me. Just drill on opposite sides of the crack, drill a hole at the end to stop it from spreading, and stitch 'er up. It's just not worth it to me to try and do a bunch of bodywork if you're just going to dump it down the mtn again. Eventually, it will happen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Befor you use the two part epoxy you will want to drill a hole at the end of the crack first.

This will help stop the crack from continuing on its path. You can purchase the epoxy just about anywhere but the good stuff will cost more and you will need to find it at a autobody supplier.

A nice urethane epoxy, the one i use is a duramix costs about $80 bucks a tube but it is more then enought to fix about 5-10 cracked hoods. The type is a duramix 4040, 4041.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have always used the zip-tie method on my old sled. Just get zip ties to match the hood color and they are hardly notice able. They hold extemely well and it stops the crack from spreading. good luck with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you're willing to take the time, I've had excellent results by fiberglassing the cracks, the cloth reinforcement ensures the cracks won't reappear again. This is probably the most expensive repair, though. I've always had the hood repainted after the repair, it looks exactly like new when finished.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts