Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Took it out for its first ride last night everything seem to run great other than a couple problems. It seems like it may be hitting rev limiter when I'm holding it wide open for a second it seems like it cuts out for a second, I can hear it in the motor.
also I hear a high pitch type noise at higher RPMs coming from clutch side. I just changed belts and noise is still there. I read that it might be starter spring? Not sure how to eliminate that as the culprit. When I swapped belts the second belt seemed tight maybe? I had the track in the air and it was moving prob around 5mph on its own and when I hit the brake to stop it, I could hear that noise. I will take a video if that helps
http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/liam5340/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160115_132328_zpsne4az1xa.mp4.html?filters[user]=131671125&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I can see your starter bendix moving as you rev her......check the teeth on the bendix and you'll prob see some wear if they are walking out and hitting ring gear. I thought a was detonating for a half season b of my bendix hitting ring gear. If that is the case, you can get a kit with new bendix, stiffer spring and new clip for about $30 on ebay. That's what I did this fall.
Kurt

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok the noise that is in the video is the higher pitched noise. I looked up videos on bendix walking out and contacting the gear but that is not the same as mine, my bendix rotates when rpms are up.high buy it doesn't walk out and contact the gear. So I believe it may be something else. Hopefully someone who.has had the same sound can chime in. I found a few posts under google that seems like they are explaining the same sound but they don't mention what the fix or problem was. Thanks guys

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wouldn't my speedo stop working or no? This is my first rev, have had a bunch of zx chassis and if the speedo took a crap then it was the Jackshaft bearing but I've never heard and noise. Ro me it sounds like it is coming from the primary clutch area

·
Registered
15 Posts
No. You speedo runs off the drive shaft. And it definitely sounds like your jack shaft bearing is screaming. I would also check the driveshaft one to. Do you know the last time your driveshaft one was greased?

Hamm

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. You speedo runs off the drive shaft. And it definitely sounds like your jack shaft bearing is screaming. I would also check the driveshaft one to. Do you know the last time your driveshaft one was greased?

Hamm
I got them mixed up... no idea when they were greased last. Sled is new to me.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Take a long dowel place one end snugly against your ear or the bony area behind it. Carefully place the other end on the sled near the spinning part. It acts like a stethoscope. Great for locating bearing or rubbing noises.

Just be careful to not actually touch the rotating part, just a part of the frame near it. You will be able to locate the source of the noise.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes it is the Jackshaft bearing, I just ran it quick with the belt off, didn't make the noise and there is the reddish brown dust around the bearing. Ok so I've never changed Jackshaft bearing, only driveshaft bearing. What is the easiest way to do this?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Check your bearing but sounds like the belt is making noise most likely due to clutch alignment. Make sure the engine torque stop is snug against the motor and then check your alignment. Hopefully you don't have my issue, found fixed sheave on primary not runing true to the shaft, out .014" from one side to the other. My belt would howl as well

Attachments

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Bearing advice. You get what you pay for. For this application don't buy the cheapest bearing you can find. It is a rather important one.
Ask a bearing supplier for a high quality one.
Save the cheap bearings for some less critical locations like some of the skid rollers.
After the bearing is off, polish the shaft, then let the bearing sit on a light bulb to heat up, leave the shaft outside to cool down.
Goes together easier.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the shaft needs to be removed to remove the bearing? Im reading mixed reviews on this. Some say yes and dome say no it can be done without removing. First things first im going to pull the secondary and inspect the bearing, there is absolutely no play when I try to move the secondary in any way. I will be removing primary also to give them both a good cleaning. They definitely look dirty and who knows if the previous owner ever took them apart

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Secondary is off, used a pick to pry off seal on bearing, plenty of grease behind the seal, bearing looks good. Mine looks the same as yours with the rust dust on backside of secondary. Was your bearing bad? Could you tell by lookimg at it that it was bad? I'm starting to second guess the Jackshaft bearing is the culprit??

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Have you checked the torque stop and alignment yet?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes I checked the torque stop and it is snug against motor. I have not checked the clutch alignment, I'm still trying to understand how it is properly done. I'm working on that now. I removed the belt and ran it, the noise was not there. Would that eliminate the primary or no? Not sure if it would change anything as far as putting a load on the primary or motor without a belt. I removed the primary and popped the seal off the bearing and greased that bearing. I did the same with the secondary. I haven't been able to get a buddy over to give me a hand so I can use a dowel to try and pinpoint. I don't feel comfortable revving it up then trying to get in the right spot with the dowel, a little Sketchy with one person

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also are the markings on the sheaves supposed to line up exactly dead on? This is as close as I can get them to line up?? They are within a half inch

Attachments

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
No the marks never line up exactly, just get them as close as you can. Are you saying that you removed the pto seal behind the primary? I assume you used isoflex grease?
to align the clutches get a piece of 3/8" bar stock 19" long that is straight. Anything similar could work as well, you just would need to include the difference in your measurements. Make sure both clutchs are torqued properly and then place the bar stock in the bottom of the secondary and let the secondary clamp the bar stock in place. Then measure from the inside lip of the fixed sheave on the primary to the outside edge of the bar stock. This is measured on the back side of the primary, the side closest to the rear of the sled. Use the chart I posted above for measurements.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts