Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely love this site...however, one thing that I can't rationalize.

It's interesting..., some sledders will spend hundred's, a thousand, multiple thousand's of dollars in after market mods to gain 5 - 10 -15 mph top-speed? How much horsepower you got? How fast will it go?

I DON"T GET IT!

People buy a 500 & wonder if it'll run with a 600! People buy a 600 to see if it'll run with an 800! People mod the $h!t out of their 600 to beat everything.....What could possibly be the point?

Stuff ends up breaking, reliability is toast, lot's of down-time from riding, buddies all waiting for you,.......= waste of money.

Why wouldn't a person save the $2,000 in engine mods....take the $$$ and go on a 8 or 9 day sled trip and have the time of your life? Then trade the sucker in next season for a new one!

Met a guy in a bar last year on an Arctic Cat. He's braggin' about how he had modded the crap out of the machine....to the point it would barely run. Cool eh? He said he averages 700 - 1,000 miles a season...then trades it in...so he can do it all over again next fall.

700 miles? That's only 3 or 4 days riding!!! Dumb.

If I offended anyone....sorry.

"Youth & enthusiasm is no match for Age & treachery"

Maybe my 36 years is catching up to me!

Mattie

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Dude, you better be in for a good "edit for bad language" whoop'n... LOL You just opened a can of whoop "edit for bad language" on yourself...

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Dude, you better be in for a good "edit for bad language" whoop'n... LOL You just opened a can of whoop "edit for bad language" on yourself...
Yup! Right or wrong....dunno

The time thing could be a big factor......I don't have time anymore. I barely have time to get the stuff I own washed!

If I could...i'd tinker all the time.

Mattie

·
Registered
438 Posts
hey i'm all for modding stuff,i don't think i ever owned anything that i left all stock, but trying to mod a good trail sled into a top speed lakes racer and then complaining that it pushes in the corners or hate that it is unreliable is nuts. on the other hand if you tell someone that your sled is great on the trails it doesn't mean much to them but if you tell them that it will do 115mph or that it has 160 hp that is something that guys understand, big numbers more power !! lol

·
Professional Rider - Do Not Attempt
932 Posts
I'm with you Mattie! I'd rather ride longer than spend time wrenchin'. I like to change the look of my sleds, but they're fast enough for me right out of the crate!

·
Hold It Wide Open Till You See God
2,311 Posts
I know were you are coming from but it's hard to tell others how to spend their money. And on the mileage thing, try to put on 50 miles a day while breaking trail and boondocking. Some of us don't live in areas that are condusive for high mileage riding. Just ask some mountain riders how many miles they put on in a year.
My opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Alex

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wish I could correct you. The fact of the matter is that everyone has their own way of expressing themselves. I live in northern ontario (Sault Ste. Marie) and the one thing that I have noticed since I started going to stock car, sno-cross, snowmobile oval, moto-cross racing, etc. The Americans that attend these events get things done right. big edit for bad languagein trucks, cool sleds (too many cats) nice cars. They always seem to go that extra mile on their toys. Meanwhile, back here in Canada, the land I love. There are guys pulling into stagging areas with there 2-wheel drive 1980 toyota that's falling apart. But he's got a new sled. What I'm trying to say is not everyone is happy with a bare stock, fully warranteed sled. If you like it good for you.....me, I like things pretty tame.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I guess in a lot of ways it depends on how you look at each rider. I try to do some cosmetic stuff to mine so it stands out a little bit in public. (It's easier to find at the local watering hole!) As for the motor, I love getting out on the lakes and busting her wide open, but to me there's not much of a difference between 103 & 110 mph. But again, to each his own, some like just building the crap out of it so they can say they've done it, ok as long as they are comfortable spending their money that way. Me. I'd rather take one more vacation. My $.02

·
Registered
464 Posts
Maybe that cat guy has absolutely no life, or makes tons of money.Hard to tell what makes people tick.Seems crazy to put all that money into a sled, then take a loss when you sell it to start over again.
I'm content having money to go riding after the kids are fed, and the bills are paid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey mattie you are right on the money. i just bought my first sled the dealer asked me what i wanted. i told him a comfortable ride and electric start and reverse. im 49 and just like my boat i want to cruise. legend 600 gs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Short answer (no pun intended) - because we have dicks! Guys always want to take them out and measure them.

I had the 600 HO last year and was looking into modding it to make it faster, the best mod for the money was to trade it in on an 800 HO P/T. If I end up wanting more power out of my 800, I'll trade it in on a 1000.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I probably had over 5 grand in accessaries and mods on my 98 Mach, Extend track, crank shop motor, color accessaries, several sets of pipes, etc. etc. etc. It was fun and I had a ball doing it, but I will never do it again. The sled was just to hi maintenance. I have already done some cosmetic work on the new Z but with the exception of a clutch kit, I wont touch the engine. But I think its something every die hard sledder will do at least once. Maybe its an age thing as I've reached that 40 mark a few years back. Doo2

P.S. Irondog, I'm keeping mine in my pants!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
887 Posts
If i could afford to tinker more I probably would just for the fun of it. I think it is something a person does to draw attention to ones self and be in the spotlite. Everyones been out riding and been totally smoked by some tricked out sled and then stopped and asked "what the hell did you do to that thing!!!!", they do it for nothing more than a conversation piece. I have altered mine a little cosmetically, I try to do what I can myself and save some $$$$$ cause there isn't enough cash flow in my budget to do more than just ride. Wanted to shave my beaver so I made my own bars, I like how it turned out, others don't, I don't care it cost me less than $20 and I think it looks as good as anything else. Did a gear down, cost me about $50 for the gear but it was the best thing I have done to date. Still want a clutch kit but that will have to wait till next year. It is human nature to want to strive and make things different/better in your eyes than what your neighbor has IMO. Just some people have more $$$$$ to do it with than others. However, if you throw all that cash into improving your machine for 1000 miles of riding every year and then trade it then you CLEARLY make too much money and can afford to give me some so I can make mine the way I want it cause I'll be riding mine for a few more years!!!! Donations GLADLY accepted!!!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I understand you Mattie. But Im guilty of not leaving things alone! I havent gone too crazy on my sled, nor do I plan on selling it any time soon! I have done things to just about everything I own to make them just right.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Mattie, that guy rides Cats, go figure. Cat riders aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. I do like to do some tuning on my sled though but not to that extent. If I were to stick that kind of money into a sled I would keep it around a couple of years though.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
My buddies and I kinda talked about this the other day actually. We thought when you really stop and think about it, snowmobiling (around here) is the dumbest sport you can do. Considering how long we actually get to ride here in Iowa. Some yrs are better than others but the way the last 10 yrs have gone you can never predict how much you will ride. Of course we take our trips up north, but when you think about the money you spend. Its almost scary. I got a new sled this yr. An 04 440 so I had to spend money right out of the gate to get her ready for trail. I think I am up to around 7 grand right now in mods and other stuff. I wanted to do things to it just so I could learn more about it. Heck I have learned so much just from working on my sled alone this yr, than I have in total knowledge of a sled. I like to know what is going on in there, if I dont tear her apart I dont know what could go wrong or what I am having issues with. Even if it is one of the dumbest sports, I love it! Its in my blood.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I came up with a phrase a few years ago due to the fact that all my friends were going crazy with the after market add ons. Buy new - stock is best. I am plenty guilty of falling victim to the after market craze, but now my sled expense is times four (wife and two sons). We all ride nice sleds, but with the exception of a little cosmetic change here or there, they are stockers. On the other hand I built a new house "up north" (Michigan term), bought a new tractor and snow blower, and drive new vehicles to the "cabin". It all has to do with what takes priority when spending the money. Oh yeah, and it is driven by how much income you have. Maybe some day I will mod out a sled again, but it won't be my everyday driver.

·
Super Mega Wicked Advanced Member
2,041 Posts
I enjoying working on sleds as much as everybody else however I agree with you mattie. If my 600 is ever not enough power I will move up to an 800. I will end up with about 3000 miles on my Rev this year and would except a little less power for the sake of reliability.

....but that's just me
Thank god everybody isn't as boring as me!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts