Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the shroud around the clutches keeps in a lot of heat. Can you just remove the black plastic that wraps around everything to let some air in to cool them? You know, so it looks like the older belt covers.

Have any of you done this or anything else? What are you guys dooing to cool these puppies?

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
I drilled some holes in that plastic shroud with a 1" hole saw. I also removed the tool pouch and the big tool pouch holder, to let the air flow through the engine compartment better. Same with the spare belt/belt holder. Removed it, and keep my tools and spare belt in my tunnel bag.

A clutch tower vent, and some knee vents help also

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
I too drilled holes in the plastic guard. Floating the secondary goes a long way towards cooling things down too. I didnt remove the tool kit mount, it just cut the shield off it and left the box attached.

·
Backcountry Shredder
1,235 Posts
I drilled some holes in that plastic shroud with a 1" hole saw. I also removed the tool pouch and the big tool pouch holder, to let the air flow through the engine compartment better. Same with the spare belt/belt holder. Removed it, and keep my tools and spare belt in my tunnel bag.
I did the same.....seems to help!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I remove the plastic on the side of the cover..Only really need that metal peice..I also drileld some 1" holes in it for cooler air but I heard the new designe makes a cyclone to cool..

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could all that held in heat be why xp's were eating belts? I've not had a problem but some seem to believe that the belt life is pretty short.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Could all that held in heat be why xp's were eating belts? I've not had a problem but some seem to believe that the belt life is pretty short.
The belt issues some guys have is 90% alignment, some of these sleds dimensions/tolerances seem to be pretty wide. I know the Doodoctor has found sleds as much as 5 mm's off. Some need clutch shimmed and engine moved. Floating the secondary has solved all of the really bad belt eaters.

Venting will definitely help. Best way is to put one of the vent kits on. Opening in the shock tower area or the invert front triangle of the side cover and a vent in the back of the side panel so you have flow thru venting.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I removed tool holder and entire plastic shroud . No problems with belts , got 1500 miles on 800 etec last season and belt looked as good as new !!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Proper setup typically drops temps 30-40 degrees over stock. Alignment is important,as is clutch condition. Doo has a new cooling duct for '12 that will fit all XP's and they swear it drops temps 25-30 degrees....for $40 it's worth trying.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've noticed that the shroud around the clutches keeps in a lot of heat. Can you just remove the black plastic that wraps around everything to let some air in to cool them? You know, so it looks like the older belt covers.

Have any of you done this or anything else? What are you guys dooing to cool these puppies?
Check this link out, These are suppose to fit on the older sleds as well.

http://mountainblog.ski-doo.com/new-clutch-cover-for-2012-sleds/

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
i drilled holes in mine, and i drilled holes in side pan, that once i have the paint done i will be covering with frog skinz.
should help.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i want one of those new guards, anyone got a part number or availability
Part #860200714

Here is the blog where i was reading about it:

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=466953

If you are having trouble with heat and going through belts, this is not the fix. I had one that was eating belts and tried everything including frogskinz, vents on the top to let the heat out, new clutch and clutch kit. These all made it better but in my mind there was something off with the clutch alignment (even though my dealer said it was in spec). I wouldn't waste your time and money on these items and go for the Doodoctor's floating clutch kit. After spending a ton of money on belts and other items trying to cool it down inside the engine compartment, I should have spent the money on the floater. It would have been cheaper. I plan on getting one for my new sled for sure.

By the way.. The new skidoo one in the catalog does not float!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I got the team tied floater conversion kit with the float plug. don't have any issues but heat is an enemy no matter what, if I can lower clutch temp 30 that would be great

1 - 14 of 14 Posts