Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the proper procedure for re-filling the coolant after doing a ring job or even just swapping the head? Any trick to ensuring no air in the system and making sure it is all functioning properly? Should the level always be an inch below the mark on the bottle when not running? Is there a way to test the engine isn't sucking air and the coolant is circulating ok?

What's the scoop?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I always just fill it up to the line and then ride it around for about 5 minutes then recheck after it cools down. If needed add more to bring it up to the line.

·
Registered
203 Posts
lift front of sled while runinng
air will come out..dont worry about over filling it will spit extra coolant out over flow...ride it,,,then check..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good Stuff, but I'm more concerned when replacing the coolant that there aren't any vapour locks etc. Is there a way to confirm that the coolant is circulating ok?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Funny, I'm having the same 1 inch below the line problem after having my engine apart. I refill, ride and recheck, and it is always 1 inch under when cold. I'm going to try lifting the front bumper when running to see if it is a bit of air. I'll follow the post to see if there are any other suggestions.

PS Sled also runs a little warmer now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My service manual says the following:
Open heated carb valve.
With engine cold, refill coolant tank up to COLD LEVEL line.
Start engine.
Refill up to line while engine is idling until rear radiators are warm to the touch (about 4-5 minutes).
Install pressure cap.
Lift rear of vehicle and support it safely.
Activate throttle lever 3-4 timesto bring engine speed to 7000 RPM.
Apply the brake.
Lower the vehicle on the ground and add coolant up to 1/2 inch above the COLD LEVEL line.
Lift front of vehicle about 24" and support it safely. lLt the vehicle idle for 2 minutes.
Put vehicle back on the ground and refill coolant to 1/2 inch above COLD LEVEL.
Check level again when engine has cooled down.
That's all folks.

·
734 Power
2,600 Posts
thats the same procedure i have always used, works good

·
Registered
438 Posts
I filled mine than ran it up on the trailer, left trailer tilted up and let it run seemed to work fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts