Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I brought home my brand new '06 MXZ 600 ADR one week ago. Opened up my trailer lid the next day and found coolant on the trailer floor. Brought back to dealer and he said they pressure tested and tightened all hose clamps, ran it and looked for leaks. He said everything is OK. Well, it is not.

Rode for first time yesterday (100 miles), and coolant bottle was at full mark before starting out. I looked at the level early on in the trip, and it looked OK. I just went out to clean up the sled a bit and what did I see? More coolant on the trailer floor!

Here are a couple of pics - there is some coolant on the outside of the bottle and some on the top of the engine block. Note there is still quite a bit of coolant in the bottle - down about 1 inch. My guess is that the clamp/hose going to the thermostat is the problem.

Any guesses from the audience?
 

Attachments

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
Joined
·
4,220 Posts
wecker20 said:
*%@ is up w/ all the corrosion on the head bolts? Aluminum is starting too.
[snapback]735880[/snapback]​
That's frost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
wecker20 said:
*%@ is up w/ all the corrosion on the head bolts? Aluminum is starting too. Take it back or maybe find a diff. opinion?
[snapback]735880[/snapback]​
Thats not corrosion... its frost from being outside on his trailer. From the pics the coolant looks like it by the headbolt. I have seen 2 800cc motors leak from the headbolts. Check the torque on them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Due to finding coolant on the outside face of the bottle, is it even possible its coming from that forward headbolt?

Is leaking from the cap out of the question?

I wish I would have checked it more frequently during the ride yesterday. Too confident in the dealers "everything is OK" statement I guess.

I just sold my 01 MXZX 600 that I bought used and had no problems in 2500 miles of riding . . . Imagine how I feel now that I will need to bring this brand new sled back to the dealer for a second time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
I had a bad cap on my coolant bottle and it leaked in the area of your first pic same thing happened if I over filled the bottle.
even then it never got coolant on the head like pic 2
I think 05'Z is on the right track! check torque on head bolts


Dealer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,435 Posts
Definitely have the head bolts torqued in the correct pattern. That one looks like it is weeping a little coolant out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
marc_brown98 said:
Definitely have the head bolts torqued in the correct pattern. That one looks like it is weeping a little coolant out.
[snapback]736145[/snapback]​
I'll mention the head bolts to the dealer - I'll probably have to show them too just in case they don't know what a head bolt is.

I would say that most of the coolant that left the bottle is on the floor of my trailer. It almost seems like it is leaking when the sled is NOT running. Although I suppose it could be held up in the bottom of the engine compartment for awhile before it leaks out.

All of this and my biggest trip of the season is coming up next Friday!

Thanks for all of the ideas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not sure how much the dealer runs the engine for prep, but there was only .1 miles on the sled when I originally picked it up. Other than the bottle/cap leaking during bouncing while trailering, I can't figure out how it would have lost coolant (on to the trailer floor) before even running the thing awhile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
my buddy's 05 800 has that same mystery puddle on the trailer floor, twice now i have discovered it on the trailer floor, his is at the same level in the coolant tank. the first time he just added more coolant, then we rode about 300 miles and when we got home puddles. We tryed to rock it around in the trailer to simulate trailer movement yesterday when we got back home but couldnt make it leak. there some movement or something about being in the trailer that does it to his?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
My 06 GSX 500ss spit up twice this weekend on the ice. I had seen the res looking low just after pickup so I added coolant till it was at the top mark. Couldn't read the mark. That was at 20 miles. This weekend at 400 miles I see two large spots when I moved the sled. I checked everywhere for visible leeks and see none and the coolant is about at the same level as your pick. I assume that this is from being overfull and am watching it closely, but it is really disturbing to see a puddle from your new steed! Hard to believe that it took 300 miles for it to purge from overfill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VTsledneck said:
My 06 GSX 500ss spit up twice this weekend on the ice. I had seen the res looking low just after pickup so I added coolant till it was at the top mark. Couldn't read the mark. That was at 20 miles. This weekend at 400 miles I see two large spots when I moved the sled. I checked everywhere for visible leeks and see none and the coolant is about at the same level as your pick. I assume that this is from being overfull and am watching it closely, but it is really disturbing to see a puddle from your new steed! Hard to believe that it took 300 miles for it to purge from overfill.

[snapback]737345[/snapback]​
Yes, it is difficult to accept a brand new machine that leaks something. Did you ask your dealer about it? I just know that my dealer is going to call and say the same thing as last time - we checked everything, tightened clamps, pressure tested and found nothing wrong. I wonder how exactly the coolant system is pressure tested?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
bean said:
VTsledneck said:
My 06 GSX 500ss spit up twice this weekend on the ice. I had seen the res looking low just after pickup so I added coolant till it was at the top mark. Couldn't read the mark. That was at 20 miles. This weekend at 400 miles I see two large spots when I moved the sled. I checked everywhere for visible leeks and see none and the coolant is about at the same level as your pick. I assume that this is from being overfull and am watching it closely, but it is really disturbing to see a puddle from your new steed! Hard to believe that it took 300 miles for it to purge from overfill.

[snapback]737345[/snapback]​
Yes, it is difficult to accept a brand new machine that leaks something. Did you ask your dealer about it? I just know that my dealer is going to call and say the same thing as last time - we checked everything, tightened clamps, pressure tested and found nothing wrong. I wonder how exactly the coolant system is pressure tested?
[snapback]737610[/snapback]​
Coolant system are pressure tested with a coolant system pressure tester. we use one on our race truck everytime we have a leak or change motors. all it is, is a different cap that goes on your resevoir and a had pump build pressure in the system. THey actually work really well and a great way to check for leaks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Coolant system are pressure tested with a coolant system pressure tester. we use one on our race truck everytime we have a leak or change motors. all it is, is a different cap that goes on your resevoir and a had pump build pressure in the system. THey actually work really well and a great way to check for leaks
[snapback]737644[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Thanks for this explaination. If the system passes the pressure test, I would think the only difference from the actual running of the engine would be the cap being used to seal the resevoir. Different temps too, I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
hot antifreeze expands for sure. make sure your t-stat housing is tight too ive seen them leak there too. that red gasket looks funny to me. will have to check a new one in the morning. also seen them leak from around the plug holes due to an improperly seated oring. check your carb line heater on the mag side, sometimes hard to tighten if you dont get the clamp in the right place
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As expected, the dealer finds nothing wrong after pressure testing and running on stand 3 different times (no snow here to actually run it around). I did ask him to put on a new reservoir cap, check torque on headbolts and to make sure coolant is circulating properly through heat exchanger.

I asked the service guy if the coolant level should go above or below the cold line on the reservoir when engine gets to operating temperature. He said it will actually go below the line (down) in the reservoir as engine builds temperature - is this correct?
 

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
Joined
·
4,220 Posts
bean said:
As expected, the dealer finds nothing wrong after pressure testing and running on stand 3 different times (no snow here to actually run it around). I did ask him to put on a new reservoir cap, check torque on headbolts and to make sure coolant is circulating properly through heat exchanger.

I asked the service guy if the coolant level should go above or below the cold line on the reservoir when engine gets to operating temperature. He said it will actually go below the line (down) in the reservoir as engine builds temperature - is this correct?
[snapback]739918[/snapback]​
Mine always goes up when warm, as has every sled I've ever owned. Your service guy doesn't know his arsehole from his elbow from the sounds of it
.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top