Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night i was putting new piston and rings in my 2000 mxz 700 after 5,200k trouble free miles. It was the first time i ever took apart any motor but i FORGOT TO DRAIN COOLANT and now i have coolant in the crankcase i did a search and could not find anyone who has done this before (did not make me feel to good) how do i get it out im ready for all the beatings im gonna take on this but if you could please
help. is it gonna hurt anything. thank you

·
Registered
832 Posts
You're not the only one, I'm sure... You couldn't possibly get all the coolant out anyway. To get the spilled coolant out of the crankcase, I used a shop vac with a 3/8 line "duct taped" to the intake hose. If you seal it properly, you can suck all the liquid out of the crankcase. I used a line small enough to get between the crankcase and the crankshaft - not much room ...

·
Registered
244 Posts
you need to hurry up and get it out because there is water in that coolant and your crank bearings dont like water

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ive used the shop-vac method myself before works really well.
After you get all the coolant out,blow out the crankcase with some compressed air then spin the crank very slowly while putting a little two stroke oil on the bearings should be fine.

·
Is it winter yet
2,147 Posts
03mxz said:
Ive used the shop-vac method myself before works really well.
After you get all the coolant out,blow out the crankcase with some compressed air then spin the crank very slowly while putting a little two stroke oil on the bearings should be fine.

[snapback]683294[/snapback]​
What he said.

·
FAQ man
3,848 Posts
How much coolant got in there???

If worse came to worse you could fill the crankcase with oil and slowly turn the crank over by hand. Let it sit overnight. Since water is lighter than oil it will float to the top and then you can suck the coolant off the top. Then remove as much oil as you can from the case before you put the motor back together, most will empty if you pull the vacuum line to the fuel pump.

But this has never happened to me.

......rrrrrrrrriiiiggghhhtttt......

Jerry C.

·
Registered
233 Posts
umm....it's a good theory....but water is heavier than oil, it'll settle to the bottom.

make VERY sure you've got all of it out, if it gets into your bearings it'll wipe 'em good.

good luck! and btw, not the dummest thing i've ever heard...

nik

·
Registered
632 Posts
sleddude5 said:
How much coolant got in there???

If worse came to worse you could fill the crankcase with oil and slowly turn the crank over by hand. Let it sit overnight. Since water is lighter than oil it will float to the top and then you can suck the coolant off the top. Then remove as much oil as you can from the case before you put the motor back together, most will empty if you pull the vacuum line to the fuel pump.

But this has never happened to me.

......rrrrrrrrriiiiggghhhtttt......

Jerry C.
[snapback]683986[/snapback]​
Watcha smokin' Willis?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.