1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
RIDE RED!
3,699 Posts
WOW! amazing...

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
it is pretty cool, it has been out for a few years already. the aluminum inside of it that it slams into to stop it just gets mangled. lol. steve

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sounds like a good invention. Kinda crazy because I know of 3 people that have cut a finger off on one since Christmas

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
yeah I have seen this quite a few times here at work. We all said how it would really benifit workplaces and schools as well as your own shop. I really wanted to see the guy really try and jab his finger in there instead of just lightly touch the side of it.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to wonder how often it might malfunction and stop because of a wet piece of wood or using the saw outside.
I use my saw in all kinds of situations doing windows and home improvements.
It looks like it does a lot of damage to the saw and could be expensive.
I think I will continue to be very carefull and pass on this one.

·
RIDE RED!
3,699 Posts
I have to wonder how often it might malfunction and stop because of a wet piece of wood or using the saw outside.
I use my saw in all kinds of situations doing windows and home improvements.
It looks like it does a lot of damage to the saw and could be expensive.I think I will continue to be very carefull and pass on this one.
airbags in cars are expensive to re-pack as well....no disrespect, just sayin. i think its a pretty good idea, especially for people who work with saws like this on a regular basis. not to say guys like you are more careless, i think its just that the odds increase of having an accident the more hours you put in with things like that. much like driving, the more miles you drive per year, the higher the chances you are involved in an accident

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
As someone who has used a table saw literally every day for the last 30 years in a furniture woodworking shop, I have seen and had a few table saw injuries over the years. But to tell you the truth I have never seen someone run their fingers into the blade!
We have 3 table saws and 2 ripsaws and they get used so much you often have to wait your turn to use one. The injuries are caused by the wood kicking back or your fingers getting pinched somewhere. Don't get me wrong I'm sure somebody must have cut there fingers on a blade somewhere but I have yet to see it.
Now if we could get that gizmo on a jointer or a bandsaw I'd be interested. I've seen a few fingers removed with those machines.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
I know at least 4 people that would have really benefited from the safety feature of this saw , only one digit removed ( the last joint of a thumb ) but some really gruesome hand lacerations including an incident with a dado blade

The other tools are in the works but who knows how long it will take to develop them . We have 2 of the table saws in our University art school shop . They are very well engineered machines that are the equaal of any table saw on the market with ultra smooth operating tilt and elevation mechanisms .

TwoRevs , you are right about wet wood , however there is an override function to operate the machine without the safety feature when conductivity may be present in the wood ( water , metal )

In the 2 years that we have had these saws there have been 6 discharges , 5 to metal and wet wood , 1 to human contact treated with a bandaid . I think you would have a hard time convincing that teenagers parents that the safety feature was unnecessary .

The brake cartridge is a wedge of aluminum that is perforated to enhance distortion and is launched by a stiff spring . The blade crushes into the wedge and binds within 20 to 30 degrees of rotation ! So far we have only lost 3 carbide teeth extracting the blades from the brake cartridge , a small price to pay .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts