Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys....I'm sick of my '02 700MXZ with "X" package riding like a kids sled.....my thoughts now are aimed at a 440 REV......I understand all the issues one will experience (premix, correct jetting, low compression domes, etc.), but I want to know how these things are in real world trail pounding. Like, can I attack the big butt clenchers while still on the gas and having no fear of the sled folding, etc?? Are they really that much better than the consumer "X" package Revs?? I'm also trying to talk my buddy into one of these, we're both ex motocrossers and really looking forward to riding some machines that can be ridden HARD (as in not slowing down AT ALL for typical trail moguls).....I guess my point is, is it worth going the 440 route vs the regular revs?
Please give objective feedback, especially if you've rode back to back vs. consumer sled, as I have never been on one of these 440's...THANKS A LOT!!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
More effort than it's worth to make it trail ready. Just buy and X 800 and hold on

·
Registered
341 Posts
skidoo said:
More effort than it's worth to make it trail ready. Just buy and X 800 and hold on

[snapback]288258[/snapback]​
Hey there...I appreciate your comment but have to totally disagree. I personally do not own a 440X, which is why my opinion might be a little more valuable than one who does.

A buddie of mine does own one and from what I've seen there is no other sled out there ready to take all the bumps and lumps like a 440X(his is a 2004). The suspension is only half of it, there is also the numerous reinforcements which in itself is worth it.

As far as getting it ready for the trail there really isnn't all to much to it. New domes, jetting and a bigger tank. Other than that you are ready to giver!

This buddy of mine is also good friends with Blair Morgan and the stories he has about him, (well mostly Blair), jumping and tearing up the country side with their stock 440's is unbelievable....example....jumping from a 6-7 foot snow bank and clearing a 10 carragana hedge or wind row and then landing it clean on the other side!

If you want to jump, pound the trails in the rough and not have to worry about tweaking the tunnel etc...then the 440X is the sled for you! (Only draw back is the 6 mpg that you get...ohh well can't have it all!!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an 05 mzx x 800 and two of my buddies have the 440's one with an 800 in it and I agree if you don't mind jetting a lot they are absolutly awsome. I can tell you I wish I had one. And it is pretty easy to get them redy to ride on pump gas. All you gotta do is put a 10 gallon tank on,low comp domes,disconect the holeshot button and change the needles. The 440 rev's are pretty much indestructable sleds.

·
Metalhead
9,228 Posts
I love my 440, I installed next-softer springs all the way around.
Man it hauls arse, yet now I don't get as tired on this particular [6 mile run] we do through the bush. I find it sucks up 6"~12" ripple bumps better on flat so I can get a rest while standing. The chassis stays more flat across everything you pretty well hit and the suspension does more work instead of my legs.

Since I do this standing thing now I can drive between 5 to 10 mph faster in bumps that normally would make my sled go *ping ping* across the top. When the track is off the ground, you have less control. I even set my torsions on lowest pos. and coupler blocks at uncoupled. My standing position has improved also. I used to hook my toes in while standing driving and now I drive in sno-x position with my feet towards the back of the running board where it starts to curl back towards the tunnel. I have more confidence when i come to compression dips or rises where it makes the sled go straight up in the air. The sled has less influence on my body, the sled goes up and i still can keep my feet on the running boards then rotate the handlebars through towards the direction where im going and because im up high i can see the ground better to time getting on the gas again to straighten me out. When I find my position, my feet are slight forward than I like, i just wait for a bump and let the sled kick my feet off the running boards so then my feet fall back and find the "honey spot"

..00000oooooh i can't wait to go riding tomorrow for two days out in the forest. *drool*

Put it this way....how I drive my 440 rev even with softer springs, to drive a consumer rev I will break that sled in half. My good pal has a 600 SDI and has the shocks done with stiffer high speed valving, it works very good however I can still bottom it out in compression 4' rises at the bottom of a hill. Not to the point of hurting my ankles but fking close...

...stock consumer model is like wet noodle.

Havva look here on an FAQ regarding the 440 rev.
http://www.mxzx-revzone.com/faq.htm
If you need part numbers for next-softer springs all the way around just email me.
Im putting the original centershock spring back in just to see what it's like again, however leave all other springs to next-softer.

Man my sled leaves them in the dust on the trail, no wait, it don't even do that I get so far ahead of a consumer sled..............as long as there's bumps, sheeya l8r....

As far as jetting, I leave mine the way it I set it up and you can follow my jetting specs they are good. Have dozens and dozens, never mind....rather a small army of 440's running my jet specs for safe running on 87 octane.

Oil injection can be installed for a small price.

L8R
J'

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dynamo^Joe said:
I love my 440, I installed next-softer springs all the way around.
Man it hauls arse, yet now I don't get as tired on this particular [6 mile run] we do through the bush. I find it sucks up 6"~12" ripple bumps better on flat so I can get a rest while standing. The chassis stays more flat across everything you pretty well hit and the suspension does more work instead of my legs.

Since I do this standing thing now I can drive between 5 to 10 mph faster in bumps that normally would make my sled go *ping ping* across the top. When the track is off the ground, you have less control. I even set my torsions on lowest pos. and coupler blocks at uncoupled. My standing position has improved also. I used to hook my toes in while standing driving and now I drive in sno-x position with my feet towards the back of the running board where it starts to curl back towards the tunnel. I have more confidence when i come to compression dips or rises where it makes the sled go straight up in the air. The sled has less influence on my body, the sled goes up and i still can keep my feet on the running boards then rotate the handlebars through towards the direction where im going and because im up high i can see the ground better to time getting on the gas again to straighten me out. When I find my position, my feet are slight forward than I like, i just wait for a bump and let the sled kick my feet off the running boards so then my feet fall back and find the "honey spot"

..00000oooooh i can't wait to go riding tomorrow for two days out in the forest. *drool*

Put it this way....how I drive my 440 rev even with softer springs, to drive a consumer rev I will break that sled in half. My good pal has a 600 SDI and has the shocks done with stiffer high speed valving, it works very good however I can still bottom it out in compression 4' rises at the bottom of a hill. Not to the point of hurting my ankles but fking close...

...stock consumer model is like wet noodle.

Havva look here on an FAQ regarding the 440 rev.
http://www.mxzx-revzone.com/faq.htm
If you need part numbers for next-softer springs all the way around just email me.
Im putting the original centershock spring back in just to see what it's like again, however leave all other springs to next-softer.

Man my sled leaves them in the dust on the trail, no wait, it don't even do that I get so far ahead of a consumer sled..............as long as there's bumps, sheeya l8r....

As far as jetting, I leave mine the way it I set it up and you can follow my jetting specs they are good. Have dozens and dozens, never mind....rather a small army of 440's running my jet specs for safe running on 87 octane.

Oil injection can be installed for a small price.

L8R
J'
[snapback]288539[/snapback]​
I have to agree about the suspension, I just put the 440x springs on my 800..WOW..I used to think the bumps were so much work and now with the spring change (105#) on the front, the thing takes off very linear, flies straighter and lands like a dream..no more wincing when the nasties sneak up on ya...I think I might buy one of Blair's year old 440x's..it sounds like a sweet sled to ditch bang with.

Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot guys! Hey Joe, I read a lot of good stuff about your 440 expertise....the sleds me and my friend are looking at '04 or newer (Team secondary, in the case the '05 Team primary as well), you got some kits or tricks for these clutches as well?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I am not knocking the 440 it's just that most of the average guys out there all think they are Blair Morgan too, and they aren't.

·
Registered
299 Posts
kielbasa said:
Thanks a lot guys! Hey Joe, I read a lot of good stuff about your 440 expertise....the sleds me and my friend are looking at '04 or newer (Team secondary, in the case the '05 Team primary as well), you got some kits or tricks for these clutches as well?
[snapback]288662[/snapback]​
Dude, I have an 02 800mxzx. Can't sell the thing, I now have a 03revx440. Spent years tryin to make trail sleds handle the drops and driveway gaps. Thru valving and reinforcement you can get close but the 440 chasis is solid. I love my 440 and if I miss the power of the 800, I'll put one in next year. If you like clearin driveways, droppin off crap, or hammerin the bumps I don't see another way to go.
Once I got Dynamo Joes clutch kit, the 440 performed great. Was weak in the powder until this kit was installed.
Get a 440 chasis, you'll love it.

Posse out,

·
Registered
246 Posts
Personal experience:
I could only afford 1 sled to trail ride occasionally and snocross race weekly.
Bought an '03 600 X package. Tried to make it snocross-worthy ($1000). Sold it.
Bought a leftover '04 440. Made it trail friendly ($300). Live for it!
Based on your background, my opinion is a 440 chassis is your only option.
They may be a little skittish in stutter bumps on the trail, but they're built for the big one's and they handle the landings (especially the imperfect ones) like a champ.
Stop debating, start buying! Good luck.

·
Registered
862 Posts
kind of off topic here but I always thought you had to be part of a race team to get one of these. I was thinking of handing my sled down to my wife next year so I was talking to my dealer about a sled for next year. He said he could get me a 440 and have it set up to be ready to go to the trails. Was that just a rumor that you had to be on a team to get one?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
New race sleds you are supposed to be a racer to get one. But I have heard of dealers getting them and selling to anyone.

As for how I like my 440. I just got it in December. (04 440) larger tank already installed. Didnt take long to get domes shaved and got the oil inj put in as well. I didnt have time to set up my suspension before we went on our trip up north. When we go on our trip we dont hit a lot of big jumps or anything. Its all smooth curving trails. Well I can tell you that I wasnt too impressed with it up there. First off it was cold and I wasnt jetted right so I could only get it up to about 75 mph. But I only got left behind on the long straight aways. So that wasnt too bad. Tight turns my "edit for bad language" end always slid out under me and I rode away on one ski every time. But agian I didnt have my suspension set up right. Plus I like to ride the one ski. Half the time my buddies said I should put a sign under my belly pan for when I turn in front of them cause they can see the whole thing when I turn. So if I was going to ride like that all the time I might think about getting something different. And the little bumps kinda kicked my A$$ as well.
But I am from Iowa, where we have no groomed trails. All we do is ditchbang. I still dont have my sled set up right cause we havent had that good of temps lately but when I did ride. Well, needless to say I was extremely impressed. The first time I noticed how nice it was to jump was when we hit this rock hard drift that was about 5 ft high, straight up and down. I braced getting ready to land and I didnt hardly feel anything. I had to go back and do it agian. I couldnt believe it. So now I go out looking for the large jumps that I used to "clench" on before. And this thing likes to climb as well. Going up some steep hills with a 2 ft of powder I just let her eat and climb right up. I have changed jetting a few times but its not too hard. I can get it done in 10 min or less now. But Tempaflow will cure that soon. So if your my type of rider I would have to say its the best sled I have ridden in those conditions. But if your a groom trail rider 90%of the time. I would go with something else. Also we dont have a good dealership around here. So I do all of my work myself. I thought my personal mechanic could handle it. Negative ghost rider! My mech doesnt know where to start with half of it. So I have learned quite a bit on here on how to dial her in.
And to _mxz_Rev. I would maybe think about looking somewhere else if you were thinking about getting a 440 from blair. I dont know Blair personally, but I have heard that he doesnt think twice about beating on his sleds. Kind of a "GO OR BLOW" moto I guess. Just my 2 cents.

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
My friends are still trying to dial in their shocks on their 6's and 8's to be more like my 440. All I did to my shocks was on the rear skid removed 3 shims from top and bottom of each stack (comp and rebound). Left the front shocks alone with no sway bar. I'm 250 with my gear on so you may need to go with less shims or softer springs, but like the others said "there is no comparsion".
I have oil injection setups for the 440 as well. I just got 2 pumps and a tank. Pump and tank for $150 plus you need a new throttle cable. I have them for $30 or you can buy one yourself. Buy low comp domes for $115/each or send your HC domes to Allen at Union bay and have them both done for $100.
Joe recommends the #3 base gasket, but I run the #5.
I have 145 psi both cylinders.
Started this season with 340 mag/ 350 pto mains running with my Atacc and watching my EGT's down to 6 F. Yesterday I switched to 340/330 mains and still temps are safe (but it was 36 out yesterday).

I run #35 pilots and clip in #3 on the needle.
I have a 03 engine in a 04 chassis so my venting from the carbs is to the side air box. Jetting the 04 is slightly different due to venting carbs to under them and not into air box.
Make sure you disconnect the fuel selector from 03 or the holeshot button for 04 to set the MPEM curve to pump gas.

I run with 327 ramps with pink/white primary spring.
I have red/blue secondary spring on Team with 64/44/46 helix and Delrin washer under it to keep it from binding.

Stock gearing.

Need help on oil injection just send me a PM.

Later, Chuck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.