Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
ok so I have my 08 RS. I read up on it lots before I did anything and also read up on the FAQ here on dootalk. didn't listen to it at first. Ran 270mains with the studder hooked up and the stock 45 pilots. it eventually leaned out. fixed everything up nice put 300 mains in it with still the studder plugged in. ran really good just a little lean spot on the bottom so I threw a bigger pilot in and it helped. so people kept telling me to unhook that studder because its going to give you problems. so today I unhooked it. took the sled for a drive. would not rev passed 8 grand. took weight out, same thing, took more weight out..samething. It would rev hard but not high enough. almost felt like I was holding the break while giving it gas. so I was told now maybe that you have unhooked the button that it is waaaaay to rich for it not to rev. so I was scared to start dropping my main again because I cant stick my head in there to see cylinder wash, so I dropped my needle down one notch to the second from top which the FAQ tells you to do. so right now I have the exact same setup as the FAQ and it still will not rev passed 8 grand it spits and spudders at WOT. compression is good. reeds are good, everything in the primary and secondary are good. I don't know what happened. everything seems good till WOT.

I will also mention that i bought this thing very very cheap with no clutches so i didn't know where to start so i talked to cudney. he said yeah just buy a tra and a roller secondary. so i did and he sold me his kit. but the sled pulled very nice when before i took out the studder button and changed the main

any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I ran my 08 hot start unplugged clip on #2 position, 280 mains and 45 pilots. Ran perfect. 300's for me was way too fat. Wouldn't hit top rpm. With the button plugged in it gives the sled a few degrees of timing for racing. Drop your mains down to 290's and see if your rpm's get better.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put 280s in it. fired it up on the stand it sounded a lot healthier. hopefully get a chance to test it out soon. I have like barely any weight in the pins. so I don't know what else I can do if it doesn't rev passed 8 grand. how are you checking your cylinder wash?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can the extra degrees timing that the button gives you really be that harmful? I have a Polaris storm improver and it has a couple degrees and I can drive it anywhere. completely different beast but same concept

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The timing advancement with race curve isn't linear few degrees. It can be more at times. So much plays a role in how much timing you can get away with like said above... fuel, compression, combustion chamber design, cooling and motor efficiency, altitude to name a few. Besides more timing don't always equal more power, If you are running pump 91 the trail cure should work well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I know there are so much variables to even know whats helping or not especially with no dyno lol. I should be able to get it. took me a while to get my storm as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts