Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
Because I am usually leading the pack which often involves breaking trail/off-trail AND I am on a tight budget because I have two daughters in budget-busting college..I'm interested in hearing about anyone's experience with the 550 Summit fans in the Rev platform. I like the changes they made for '06 (wider stance and lighter). I am 210 lbs so I worry about power. I currenltly have a 700 of another brand but it is over 100lbs heavier than Summit fan and does not float so well so the diff may not be significant. I am in the Michigan U.P. so climbing is not much of an issue - short climbs if at all. Sure, a 600HO Renegade would be awesome...(time to wake up)...but...

Any comments?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
upout,
IMHO, I have some experiance with different revs. (see sled list) I really like the 06 550f summit. When compared straight up with my 05 SDI gade (136X1.75X16 track) in the deep snow the 550f Summit (136X1.5X15) does pretty well with me on both. (190lbs) No the 550f is NOT better when speeds are over 40-50 and any snow/trail/off trail/ conditions. But when you are going slow through the trees and snow is coming over the bumper (yes I notice the 06's sit lower and I don't like it in deep snow) The summit is so light and easy to flick around. More then once I put it on it's side in deep snow because it took less effort to tip the sled up then I was used to. I like to go fast so for that reason alone the 550f summit CAN'T be my only sled. The 550f will not make the front end light when coming to something and you need to get over it (like a small creek with deep snowy banks.

I bought the 06 550f summit for my daughters and wife that each weigh less then 110lbs and it a perfect sled for them. Put a 200+ lbs person on it and you will see it's limits much sooner then that sme person on a 600. Also when riding side by side with the 550f summit, 550f MXZx, and the 600 SDI gade. The gade by far gets better mileage. (we all rode pretty hard during this mileage test with the MXZx getting the worst) The first thing you as a 200+ guy would have to do is replace the shocks. Even my daughter notices that the summit just can't go through the bumps like the gade or MXZx. With the expense of shock up grade you are now looking @ the same price as a gade. Yes I really like our 550f summit but IF I could only have one sled it'd have to be the 600SDI gade.. No question!

oh yea one last thing;
You will not lead the pack for long with a 550f summit... there are just to many gades and summits out there to overtake you....lol!
05SDI

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks, 05SDI! I appreciate your taking time to get down to brass tacks. A 'gade' will be under serious consideration once my kids are out of college. Might just have to be patient and tuff it out with what I have for about 4 more years.
Enjoy the rest of winter (it is just coming back for us in the mid-west).

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a 600SDI Summit, but my first sled (still kept as a backup) has a 550F motor.

I weigh about 190 lbs. and the 550F motor is very strong with me on it. It tapers off over 70mph or so, but in the conditions we ride in, with nothing groomed, you really don't care much about speeds over that.

The 550F motor sounds wonderful, and it has great throttle response at any RPM, any speed. It has a rorty sound that reminds me of a 911 Porsche.

And you don't need to worry about cooling under any circumstances.

It's obviously better developed than the 600SDI motor. I think you'll love the 550 Summit. You know, the whole point is having fun, not how many 10ths of a second you can shave off of 0-60. The light weight of the Summit will let you do a lot of stuff which people on more powerful, but heavier sleds can't. And imagine how much more pleasant it will be to dig out of a big stuck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Upoutdoorzman!!
I bought an 05 Summit 550f this fall, and I love my sled! Sure it's not the fastest, but it's reliable and very light!! I weight 190lbs and the sled is strong enough for me..
But the shocks are really cheap and I plan to put HPG for the next season.
Anyway, a great sled not to expensive( I paid 5300Cdn+Tx in mint condition)

·
Registered
59 Posts
We bought two 550s one for my dad and one for my wife, Good handling, nice and light cheap price "NO POWER FOR THE MOUNTAINS" I totaly regret the purchace and wish we would have plunked the extra money. Every mountain around here has one big hill that leads to the good riding and if it has a foot of powder forget going out. Good sled but has limitations in deep snow and aggresive mountains.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Honestly if you have a 700 now which obviuosly is liquid cooled you're not going to be happy with the power of a fan 550. I think the 550 makes maybe 65 HP. I'm guessing but you have at least 100+ HP in your 700. I guess it depends on the snow conditions you mostly ride in, but I wouldn't want a 550 fan for breaking trail. But that's me, and I ride at high altitude which kills HP even more. I want an 800 or bigger with as much HP possible for the type of riding I do.

·
Made Member
2,042 Posts
The sled in your garage is better than two sitting in the showroom. (at least I think that's what Confucius said)

For the price of a new 550 fan Rev, you could probably find a good used 800 ZX or early rev that would get you through the education of the kids.

I bought my spring check 2001 'gade 800 used for $4000. Had less than 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was out riding my sons 05 550 Summit today in semi mountainous terrain and it did ok. Climbing hills wasn't much of a problem but we were only at 5-6000 feet. I was wide open all the time on the trails to keep up with a 700 and 800. I would spend the money on a liquid!

·
Registered
368 Posts
You should keep an eye out for a blowout deal on an '05 summit 800. It's a solid sled with only a few, easily fixable issues. The '05's have the upgraded bracing for the nun, a stout engine (only flaws are rings and maybe carb boots?). It's the same sled as the '06 less the P-Tech and newer skis (even the '06 skis have a flaw and the '05 800 HO is just as powerful as the P-Tech).
Then, if you throw in an SX8 clutch kit next year you will still have a sled that rips! You would most likely make up the $1k difference upon resale.
Just a thought

hickster

·
G MAN
5,381 Posts
Kuzitrin said:
I was out riding my sons 05 550 Summit today in semi mountainous terrain and it did ok. Climbing hills wasn't much of a problem but we were only at 5-6000 feet. I was wide open all the time on the trails to keep up with a 700 and 800. I would spend the money on a liquid!
[snapback]709945[/snapback]​
I was very impressed with your 550 Summit today! You certainly didn't have any trouble on climbs. I think they're great sleds for someone on a budget.

Cheers,

G MAN

·
Registered
55 Posts
SledGab said:
For sure, the Summit fan is more a Renegade than a "real" Summit...
[snapback]710523[/snapback]​
I have a 550 summit (05) and it works well in the trees and does OK on the hills. The 550 is a very torquey engine and works well in a lot of conditions.
I weigh 215 lbs. I have lowered the gearing, 9 tooth extrevert drivers, 151x16x2 inch track, Aaen pipe, took out the oil tank and lengthened the tunnel to cover the longer track. Biggest gains in performnce was going to a 46/40 helix that gets me a better backshift. If I had to do it again I would buy a 600SDI. We do a lot of long trips on the mountains, 3 to 7 days and the SDI gets a lot better milage, meaning carring less gas on the sleighs. Although my machine does quite a bit better in the slow and deep I would like more hill climbing power. I am going to keep working on getting the weight down so that may even it out a bit. Trying to follow LRD's example of reducing weight but money is always short.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts