Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ski-Doo Rider from Northern Vermont
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO RESTORE DATA FROM A HARD DRIVE "CHEAPLY"???

My computers hard drive, only one year old, just crapped out on me... no warning, NOTHING, just DEAD... PLEASE HELP. ANY IDEAS will help. DELL is sending me a new hard drive, but obviously, will not restore my data. I have heard of putting it in a freezer for a while but I dont know if that works. ANY IDEAS SHORT OF COMING UP WITH 2400 dollars will help.

THANKS.

·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TTT....

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Ok, you'll have to explain the freezer thing to me ... never heard of that. There are misc hard drive recovery tools (google it), but I've never used them. I can't imagine a computer repair shop would charge much to take a look at it.

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
The freezer trick does work sometimes its helped me get some of my stuff back once, but im 98% sure your out of luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Place it in the freezer and let if get cold and hit it just right. It causes it to break free and allow it to spin. use this as a last resort or you can totally trash whats left of the drive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Whats the drive doing? Does it spin up at all?
Laptop or desktop?

I had a drive that would run for a short time then stop. I was able to put it in a machine as a secondary drive and keep a fan on it just long enough to pull some of the data off of it.

Be sure to think about what info you want and where it was saved. You might only get one chance and get the most important stuff first.

·
Registered
466 Posts
are you sure its your hard drive? Is the computer starting up at all? If not it could just be your power supply or maybe motherboard.

·
MTM follower
2,592 Posts
Do as skinnyD said.

Try and slave it in with the new drive then see what you can pull of it.
If not there are several places you can ship it to and they can pull the data off it. Its very expensive though.

·
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It sounds like I am SOL. I will be bringing the old hard drive to the "geek squad" at Best Buy, they said they could transfer the data... We'll see. I would have like to try the freezer model, but if I tamper with it, Dell will void the warranty... dont need that...

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Remember the data is written on the hard disk platters and just because YOU can't access it does not mean it is gone. If you are willing to spend the $$ you can send it to a recover service and they will take it apart and put the platters in an identical drive so the data can be copied to another location. If you can find another identical drive it is possible to do this yourself if very careful but once it is done BOTH drives are garbage!

Use google to find data recovery services..

Good luck..

Note: If you send it in to Dell the drive and data will be gone forever! Drives are cheap so depending on the value of the data will have to determine what you do..

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
GaderX said:
ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO RESTORE DATA FROM A HARD DRIVE "CHEAPLY"???

My computers hard drive, only one year old, just crapped out on me... no warning, NOTHING, just DEAD... PLEASE HELP. ANY IDEAS will help. DELL is sending me a new hard drive, but obviously, will not restore my data. I have heard of putting it in a freezer for a while but I dont know if that works. ANY IDEAS SHORT OF COMING UP WITH 2400 dollars will help.

THANKS.
[snapback]691125[/snapback]​
Freezer trick will work if the drive problem is mechanical. If it's a controller or the EPROM has become corrupted then yer out of luck without sending it out to a clean room service...$$$$$

·
Level 4 Illuminati / NWO whistleblower
1,745 Posts
You need to figure out if the drive is spinning up or not. If it's not spinning, then you can try to freeze it or lightly tap on it with something to free it up while it has power to it. If it still doesn't work it's unlikely that you're going to recover anything off of it without spending a few bucks.

If it is spinning, then you might have a corrupted table or something, and you might be able to hook it up as a second drive in a different machine, or pop it into an external usb drive and pull data off of it that way.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
GaderX said:
It sounds like I am SOL. I will be bringing the old hard drive to the "geek squad" at Best Buy, they said they could transfer the data... We'll see. I would have like to try the freezer model, but if I tamper with it, Dell will void the warranty... dont need that...
[snapback]691904[/snapback]​
Geek squad is the worst! My roommate had the same exact thing happen to him. They took his computer and put a new hard drive in it and said they could not recover the old data. Brought the computer home and it still did not work right. He took it to a neighbor and the guy was able to get everything working right and saved all the data off the old hard drive. Geek Squad charged an arm and a leg for nothing. This guy was able to do it for free in half the time...

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
Geek Squad sucks...drop the drive in a ziplock, pop in the freezer for 24 hours and then plug it in and see what you get. If it's a Hitachi/IBM Deathstar drive it'll be the controller EPROM corrupted. There is a service online that can reflash these remotely for $400. You can't swap controllers on a deathstar drive either. Won't work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts