Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the story....

At 2000 miles, I had 145lb compression in both cylinders, and now at 3300 miles, I have 109 on the pto side and 129 on the mag side. Overall the sled runs fine. Seems a little harder to start(more pulls), but other than that it is great.

Since I personally did both measurements, first one on march 29th last year, and the most recent on just today, I am sure that something has changed. I used the same quality gauge and am sure that there has been some loss in compression.

Here is my question. With an obvious change in the engine, what are the side effects of the blow by caused by a lack of compression? Does this somehow put the rest of the engine in jepardy running it like this?? Could it run like this for another 3000 miles, or do I need to find out the problem right now and park it until it is repaired?

BTW, I did pull the Y pipe and looked in. Sure enough, pitted rings. Again, I just want to know the down side of running it like this.

Thanks!!

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
re-ring it...and as long as your in there...my Trail Torquer kit is a SOLID improvement for $225-BJ

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, Big John, last year I bought your TT kit....except the rings. I did't because it was a new sled and didn't need them at the time. Looks like I should have got them. Would you think that pistons should be replace also?? Or is a ring job ok? Thanks.

Thanks in advance...Price and availability on your rings and gaskets needed??

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,212 Posts
revspan said:
Here is the story....

At 2000 miles, I had 145lb compression in both cylinders, and now at 3300 miles, I have 109 on the pto side and 129 on the mag side. Overall the sled runs fine. Seems a little harder to start(more pulls), but other than that it is great.

Since I personally did both measurements, first one on march 29th last year, and the most recent on just today, I am sure that something has changed. I used the same quality gauge and am sure that there has been some loss in compression.

Here is my question. With an obvious change in the engine, what are the side effects of the blow by caused by a lack of compression? Does this somehow put the rest of the engine in jepardy running it like this?? Could it run like this for another 3000 miles, or do I need to find out the problem right now and park it until it is repaired?

BTW, I did pull the Y pipe and looked in. Sure enough, pitted rings. Again, I just want to know the down side of running it like this.

Thanks!!
[snapback]686662[/snapback]​
They'll run for quite awhile with pretty nasty rings. They don't run well though. The RER rarely works, it won't idle right, it'll foul plugs, gas mileage will be horrible, and cold starting is really nasty with really pooched rings. And if you flood it watch out... the fuel will wash the oil out of the pits in the rings and your compression falls to almost nothing. The only way to restart it when this happens is to pour oil into your spark plugs holes to fill the pits in the rings again.

If they're going bad change them now... before it gets really ugly

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, dropped the sled off a few days ago and got a call today that they are going to replace the rings and the carb boots, but I have to pay for the labor since it was out of warranty. Probably a good thing that i had them do it since I would have had more in the parts than I will be paying for the labor. My warranty was up last november, and the dealer did a good job in getting the parts replaced. I guess it pays to go to your dealer and "be nice".

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
revspan said:
Well, dropped the sled off a few days ago and got a call today that they are going to replace the rings and the carb boots, but I have to pay for the labor since it was out of warranty. Probably a good thing that i had them do it since I would have had more in the parts than I will be paying for the labor. My warranty was up last november, and the dealer did a good job in getting the parts replaced. I guess it pays to go to your dealer and "be nice".
[snapback]695168[/snapback]​
what dealer are you with?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stevens Cycle in Bay City. I didn't even buy the sled from them!!! They did me right! For sure, my next sled will be from them.

·
Super Moderator
29,350 Posts
revspan said:
I guess it pays to go to your dealer and "be nice".
[snapback]695168[/snapback]​
A good dealer can make or break a season - and get a bunch of stuff warrantied if it should be, as the rings should be.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
revspan said:
Stevens Cycle in Bay City. I didn't even buy the sled from them!!! They did me right! For sure, my next sled will be from them.
[snapback]695189[/snapback]​
i deal with peacock in baldwin, spicers and cadillac track and trail are worthless. know guys at peacock for along time and with my speedo problem i had , when they got it i took it over and they put it right in. i didnt have to wait weeks for it to get done. very good service it pays to know your dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts