Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 Ski doo Formula 460, it is a first pull machine, always ran sweet. I live in eastport maine, where it stays around 0 degrees most of the time, but that never seemed to phase the sled. The first real ride this season I went to the gas station fueled up, and hammered around some trails, the snow was VERY deep and kept getting into the cowling and once clogged the air cleaner. I cleaned it off and off I went, I snowmobiled for a few hours, shut the sled down a few times for various reasons, and then parked it. 2 days later i went to start it, and it was a little harder starting, smoked like a "edit for bad language", and bogged down when i hit the gas, not to the point of stalling, just a low rpm BLAHHH you know? It wont stay running, BUT the cowl is still full of snow, only the front end, forward of the engine, packed quite tightly which i dont think would matter. I pulled off the carbs, heated them all to hell and drained them and re-installed them to no avail. Its smokey, and wont run right, could it just be cold? Any suggestions?

please help im losing winter!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got the same sled........is your thorttle sticking??? My sled does the same thing...sounds like water in the gas....use some iso in your tank...

Koby

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PRStuner88 said:
Also what you use to heat the carbs? And how did you do it??????

Koby
[snapback]282649[/snapback]​
I used a heat gun, you know like a big hair dryer, and then drained them. My next step is to get it in a garage and get a salamander on it, see what happens.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
mattlacasse said:
And no, my throttle never sticks, up to this i have had zero problems, awfully depressing.
[snapback]283054[/snapback]​
I'm having almost the same issue, sounds like water in the gas like Koby was saying. Heet with isopropyl in it should help. I'm on my way to get some now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
if it sounds like its running on one cylinder it may even be one of the plugs being fowled.. i took mine for a day and the next morning i went to start it and it would start but it had no power and smoked alot so i checked the lugs and one was fowled.......usualy they fowl cuz u prime it to much of the start or if you dont let it idle before you shut it off..depends if you ride hard or not lol

·
Registered
79 Posts

If its smoking like a "edit for bad language" the needle and seat in the carb on one cylinder is stuck open. My 440 is doing that right now. Only smokes after long shutdown due to fuel freely flowing. Float and seat is not shutting off the fuel. Clean the carbs and maybe change needles and seats. I bet she'll run fine!

Jamie

mattlacasse said:
I have a 1990 Ski doo Formula 460, it is a first pull machine, always ran sweet. I live in eastport maine, where it stays around 0 degrees most of the time, but that never seemed to phase the sled. The first real ride this season I went to the gas station fueled up, and hammered around some trails, the snow was VERY deep and kept getting into the cowling and once clogged the air cleaner. I cleaned it off and off I went, I snowmobiled for a few hours, shut the sled down a few times for various reasons, and then parked it. 2 days later i went to start it, and it was a little harder starting, smoked like a "edit for bad language", and bogged down when i hit the gas, not to the point of stalling, just a low rpm BLAHHH you know? It wont stay running, BUT the cowl is still full of snow, only the front end, forward of the engine, packed quite tightly which i dont think would matter. I pulled off the carbs, heated them all to hell and drained them and re-installed them to no avail. Its smokey, and wont run right, could it just be cold? Any suggestions?

[snapback]282592[/snapback]​

·
Registered
79 Posts
Check air box too!

MXZwithoutstuds said:

If its smoking like a "edit for bad language" the needle and seat in the carb on one cylinder is stuck open. My 440 is doing that right now. Only smokes after long shutdown due to fuel freely flowing. Float and seat is not shutting off the fuel. Clean the carbs and maybe change needles and seats. I bet she'll run fine!

Jamie

mattlacasse said:

[snapback]282592[/snapback]​
[snapback]285433[/snapback]​

1 - 11 of 11 Posts