Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
I really hope DooTalk never adopts the Dislike feature. It would do nothing good but create more discord and polarize people even further. It holds no context and promotes dislike bombing campaigns. Most of us come to DooTalk avoid the craziness seen on Social Medial.

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
73,726 Posts
Is it still possible to delete your post after you already posted it.... I see where we can edit but even if you backspace to remove it it's not gone as it tells you to type a message...... and even if you use the delete draft it does not remove it...... is a moderator now required to delete a post?

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Is it still possible to delete your post after you already posted it.... I see where we can edit but even if you backspace to remove it it's not gone as it tells you to type a message...... and even if you use the delete draft it does not remove it...... is a moderator now required to delete a post?
Only moderators and admins are able to delete a post, as needed, for situations such as duplicate posts. Simply report the post for staff assistance. If a thread is deleted, it then deletes all the responses and thus other people’s posts too. Or, when deleting a post, people may respond. Then, if you delete one post, the following posts will not make sense - because one is missing it, it destroys the understanding and flow.

- Cricket

·
Registered
995 Posts
I like it - the old site was a huge pain in many ways. Searching was near useless and trying to post photos was pretty brutal.

Yeah, the old site was unique - but so is having a horn growing out of your arse.

-J

·
Registered
2015 GSX 1200 & 2017 ENDURO 900
28 Posts
Cricket, this is my only 2nd time on. Maybe this has allready been brought up. Seems like a lot more ads:rolleyes: Also when reading posts if there is a horizontal Ad between two posts every time the Ad changes. The post just below the Ad Jumps Very Very Annoying when your trying to read post and its jumping up & down. ( I'm using a PC with Windows 10 and Firefox web browser) Is there a way to stop posts from jumping up&down?

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
I just encountered this situation when inadvertently picking-up an old thread from the recommended reading..... I posted a couple pictures and realized it was from 2020.... No more delete, so it's needlessly back on top of the recent threads. Now I have to report my dumb move...... If this is the new thing, then we should have a thread to report dumb moves to delete.....

BRP and Rotax Hydrogen Powered Lynx Snowmobile

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
21,061 Posts
Cricket, this is my only 2nd time on. Maybe this has allready been brought up. Seems like a lot more ads:rolleyes: Also when reading posts if there is a horizontal Ad between two posts every time the Ad changes. The post just below the Ad Jumps Very Very Annoying when your trying to read post and its jumping up & down. ( I'm using a PC with Windows 10 and Firefox web browser) Is there a way to stop posts from jumping up&down?
Adblock+

Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys.

Reactions: 6100D

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I just encountered this situation when inadvertently picking-up an old thread from the recommended reading..... I posted a couple pictures and realized it was from 2020.... No more delete, so it's needlessly back on top of the recent threads. Now I have to report my dumb move...... If this is the new thing, then we should have a thread to report dumb moves to delete.....
The developers are actively working on improving Recommended Reading, including the timeliness of the recommendations.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
I was going to ask how to copy the formatting of a post, but it took me more time to find this thread than to find the settings option that toggles BB code. It's the settings icon on the far right of the formatting bar located below the post we write.

I do have to admit that the format is overall better. I am actually having a difficult time showing something that needs any change. What worries me most is knowing I will find something once the s/w development team leaves the room. Within the following week I should have the majority of my experience back online as I begin to post more pictures. A simple test showed that I could quickly upload two pictures. This is something that I was able to do in the past, then I could not, and now it is back again with the new s/w upload.

Anything that I could do in the past still works, like simple bookmarks for my content and new content. I did update the links, but it works flawlessly.

One thing that you promised that I did hold you to it, was the labour on my laptop. So far my laptop has been happy. It didn't really matter with only a couple of tabs open, but if I kept adding like during a search, and my laptop would wear down. So far that problem has disappeared.

There is something noticeable that disappeared. I can no long see the list of members who are reading a particular sub-forum or thread. Is this something that was designed to disappear?

Attachments

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
There is something noticeable that disappeared. I can no long see the list of members who are reading a particular sub-forum or thread. Is this something that was designed to disappear?
It is no longer located in the individual threads but you can still see who is online and what thread they are viewing, depending on the privacy settings.

Click on the 3 vertical dots in the upper right-hand corner of the site. Select Members.

Once the Members page opens, click on Online members in the navigation on the left side.

- Cricket

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just opened up dootalk first time in a few weeks, maybe I'm old and stuck in my ways but really don't like it. May have been covered here already, just my two cents

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
I think it comes down to which forum software is being supported or how it is supported.

Not sure what software DooTalk was using, but my guess is that it was simply discontinued/not supported anymore. Switching to a cloud-based solution probably saved a little bit of money and required a lot less management.

But hey, I'm only speculating.

Most major changes in websites come because they switch platforms. Gamers used to get together and pay for a server or instance on a server to serve out both their websites and game server. The forum software they used was primarily Evolution or Nuke Evolution. Free open-source forum software, but the open source never really took off so when the authors quit updating, it just disappeared into the unknown. That forced them to find other software and phpBBS became more popular.

I believe this forum software is based on phpBBS. It has been modified a lot, but looks like it still uses many of the phpBBS features like extensions to add in things like Ads, without too much hassle.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I do not like change period, but that is life and more so today than ever before in our existence! I will admit that I found my away around the new site with a few clicks and that is very, very good for me. I wish, or maybe I missed it, that they would of asked for member feedback before changes where made.

Bob

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
Every day I am finding something that I enjoy better than the old version. After 11 days, I could not fathom going back.

The quoting and attachment system is so much better, and the formatting bar is always where I need it. Yet I don't feel like being on a different forum. This has me curious, how much of the formatting has been adapted based on the old look?

41 - 60 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.