Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
New Site looks good, I prefer the Dark mode. Always hated the light backgrounds glowing in my eyes!

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Is the PG-13 language barrier is gone ?...
Can you explain more for me? Are you referring to off-topic? Premium? The entire site?

Members can choose within their preferences if they prefer not to see images that may not be safe for work.

HOWEVER, this does NOT change your community rules. If it wasn't allowed before, it still won't be allowed.

- Cricket

·
Administrator - East Coast Tony
900T XRS
55,410 Posts
Can you explain more for me? Are you referring to off-topic? Premium? The entire site?

Members can choose within their preferences if they prefer not to see images that may not be safe for work.
View attachment 1972136
HOWEVER, this does NOT change your community rules. If it wasn't allowed before, it still won't be allowed.

- Cricket
He is referring to the language filter we had built into the old site. We talked about this in last weeks meeting. I believe it was going to take a bit longer to get it set back up.

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
He is referring to the language filter we had built into the old site. We talked about this in last weeks meeting. I believe it was going to take a bit longer to get it set back up.
They should already be in place. If you are finding words that should be censored but they are not, please send me a conversation to add them.

- Cricket

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
21,061 Posts
This is my 4th transition to the new format, and it gets smoother each time.

Folks, let Cricket know your issues and they will find you a solution.

Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys.

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts

This is a great option for those times when you want to save a thread to come back to later. At the bottom of the post, you will see “save”. Click on it.

Once you click on it you can add any notes to remind yourself and then simply click to save.

When you are ready to find the saved bookmarks again later, from the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “bookmarks”.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
<I will be here during your transition to the new platform, to help with any questions, help with navigation or how to do things, and to listen to your feedback so please don't hesitate to holler at me. I want to help. You can also check out our FAQs. >

I am glad that you will be around for a while. This is so new to me that I expect it will take days or maybe weeks before I can get my head around the changes and make any suggestions. I am not even sure to what potential I was using the previous software. I can say that I have rarely used the DT search function since a moderator showed us years ago in 2014/2015 how to use Google which did work. I have not tried with the new software, so hopefully it works well and better. On this subject, how does the archived threads work? Are they included in this search result of topic starters? By the way, the top of the search page should show more than Search results, but rather something like Search results of Topic Starters so that I know what from the tab what search result is about.

On a positive note, I did easily find far more threads than I did with the previous version. The results date back to Jan 6th of 2012 with a number of topic starters at least 3 times higher than what I expected, so that is not necessarily a good thing as I do not remember half of them lol

It will take me some time to get used to the new s/wt, let alone trying to make any suggestions. I did have the good sense to archive all of my messages a few hours prior to this change since I had no clue if this feature would remain.

So far I am missing that one page filled with a large number of threads. I expected as much from seeing how SnoWest changed with their software updates, but I think there is room to improve the view settings for an option to show a higher number of threads per page. It is similar to classified ad pages that offer a multiple number of ads per page. The least that I need to scroll through pages, the easier it is.

This leads me to the view increase in fonts which so far I believe is a good thing for the new s/w. With the old view there quickly came a point of increasing the font - with a right-click scroll up on the mouse - that I needed to scroll right to left to view the full post. I no longer need to do this, so this is a good thing! However it does take over a 150% view increase to get rid of the right hand pane. I am currently writing this reply at 160% to get rid of the right-hand pane, yet I only need 130-150%. Keep in mind that a large majority of those who contribute on DooTalk on a regular basis are well into there 40s, 50s, 60s and even 70s with understandably a reduced eye sight. Few write this much, but I think a option to rid of this pane for a larger view, or lowering the % view to 140-150% to rid of this pane would be helpful.

From less than 5 min of viewing of the new software, I realized that my too long signature/FAQ had been shaved down to the two first two links unless I clicked on the downward arrow. I was wow'd with this change. Years ago I tore down my signature because of the crazy amount of scrolling needed. Despite the obvious nuisance (read PITA), from the comments I had received of it disappearing, I did bring it back slowing and eventually grow it larger than ever while being well aware of the implications and the odd time explaining how to get rid of it. At the time there was no in between. My question is, did this have any to do with the knew s/w concept, or was this just another thing that became part of a natural progression?

This was more that I thought to have with only 30 minutes of viewing :)

Thank you for all of the mark-ups. It was very well done!

Daag44,
Charles

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I can say that I have rarely used the DT search function since a moderator showed us years ago in 2014/2015 how to use Google which did work. I have not tried with the new software, so hopefully it works well and better.
How To Search The Site

Near the top of the community, you will see a search bar.

Enter a search term or phrase and click enter on your keyboard or click the magnifying glass.

Advanced Search

To narrow down search results, click on “Advanced Search” after clicking the search bar.

This will allow you to choose to search titles only, add the member username who posted it or even select a specific forum to search from.

Enter your search criteria and click “Search “ at the bottom.

You can also access advanced search by clicking the 3 vertical dots near the upper right-hand corner of the site and selecting “Advanced “Search”

Search Specific Forum

If you want to search a specific section, navigate to the forum section before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

Search Specific Discussion Thread

If you want to search a specific discussion thread, navigate to it before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
From less than 5 min of viewing of the new software, I realized that my too long signature/FAQ had been shaved down to the two first two links unless I clicked on the downward arrow. I was wow'd with this change.
How To Create A Signature

Your signature can include up to 4 lines, a maximum of 1000 characters, and one external link. An image counts as a line. Anytime you hit "enter" on your keyboard, it will automatically go to a new line. Images will automatically be resized to 300 x 200 pixels. You can see more options in your settings to collapse signatures, always view full signature, or not see signatures at all. The choice is yours.

Both guests and members can view signatures.

If a user has their preferences set to the default they will see collapsed signatures as in the example below for them. (They can click to see more.)

If a user has their preferences set to always show expanded signatures it will look like the example below for them. Your image can be clicked to view full size.

If you want to adjust your preferences for signatures you can click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select account settings.

In the left side navigation, you will see an option for preferences. Click it.

Scroll down to content options and select your signature preferences.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm on several automotive forums that have been using this platform for a while now.
No issues for me with this platform.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
(n)(n) Now we're like the pooplaris site ugh. Why did they feel they had to mess with the original. So much harder to navigate around and find stuff.

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
(n)(n) Now we're like the pooplaris site ugh. Why did they feel they had to mess with the original. So much harder to navigate around and find stuff.
Can you tell me what it is that you don’t like about it? Is there anything I can help you find?

Like most of us, I am a creature of habit, so it takes me a bit to get used to changes. (I was more than a little grumpy about it all at first.) I was lucky enough to get the chance to play with the new platform before we started transitioning sites to it a little over 2 years ago now. Give it some time. :)

We will see regular updates which are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Ive been on the original site since 2010 and of course Ive gotten very used to it knowing where to go quickly ect...just became second hand. Unfortunately I had to join a few other sites to do research and I just found it to be difficult to look around compared to DT. The new DT is sadly just like those forums now. Doo talk was unique all to its own..now its cookie cutter. Would like to know why they felt they had to change the system. Some guys say this is faster...I personally never had an issue with the speed of the original but like my signature states........

·
Administrator
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ive been on the original site since 2010 and of course Ive gotten very used to it knowing where to go quickly ect...just became second hand. Unfortunately I had to join a few other sites to do research and I just found it to be difficult to look around compared to DT. The new DT is sadly just like those forums now. Doo talk was unique all to its own..now its cookie cutter. Would like to know why they felt they had to change the system. Some guys say this is faster...I personally never had an issue with the speed of the original but like my signature states........
Technology updates over time along with strengthening security made this a necessary update.

- Cricket

·
Semi-professional Opinion Maker
1,003 Posts
In my 5 minutes of the new site, I can honestly say not a fan. Im sure ill get used to it but, as of right now, not my favorite.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I must be getting old and grumpy...... well atleast one of them. I am trying to like or adjust to the changes. So far not really a big fan, but us older/grumpier guys don't like change much do we? Other than the new to me 21 850 xrs renegade sitting in my new enclosed trailer. Wow- really can't wait to pull the trigger......

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.