Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I are about to buy something. We've narrowed it down to a Collett, or else the two radio/microphone setup. We're leaning towards the two way radio setup, like BM800REVX pushes, but I havent seen many posts about people that use his setup or similar.

I'm curious how people route all the cables so you dont get tangled up when you take your helmet off, and who uses the PTT button or the VOX voice activation. If you use PTT, where do you route the cable to it so you can unplug/plug it when you get off the sled, and where do you mount the button.

We really want a voice activated setup that will work every time.

please post your experiences with the setup

thanks
Eric

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I just got the colletts this year. You may have seen my posts about all my troubles. The new unit I finally recieved cured my troubles but they are still finicy for the VOX and the range is terrible. 1/2 km and all static. For the VOX you almost need to have something holding the mic tight up against your mouth.

I was having problems with getting collett to correct an issue and came very close to sending them back for the throat mics and PTT two way radio's. Range would have been a lot better.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
guys say the best is the moto two (FRS?) ways with a throat mic.

so I got a throat mic but have not had a chance to try it, if it works it is the way to go connections are simple and it uses a PTT which is the only way to control xmissions.

with this setup Nothing is attached to the helmet and the PTT switch runs down your arm and is attached with velcro so you can easily get off the sled!

here is the throat mic... its fits very comfortable and the ear piece is well designed too!

throat mic

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, the throat mic attaches around your throat? Does it pick up vibration from your vocal cords in your throat or something? I can picture it sounding like the old guy who lost his larynx due to smoking and has to hold the little machine up to his throat.

We decided to go with the PTT for sure. Sounds like VOX are a pain to deal with and get right. Pushing a button shouldnt be a big deal. I like the idea of the button coming off the sled with you so you can still talk if you're over looking at a map or something.

Do the earphones fit in your ear, and not you're helmet? I was worried about dealing with the earphones every time we take our helmets off.

thanks
Eric

ViperER said:

so I got a throat mic but have not had a chance to try it, if it works it is the way to go connections are simple and it uses a PTT which is the only way to control xmissions.

with this setup Nothing is attached to the helmet and the PTT switch runs down your arm and is attached with velcro so you can easily get off the sled!

here is the throat mic... its fits very comfortable and the ear piece is well designed too!

throat mic
[snapback]288443[/snapback]​

·
Registered
803 Posts
Eric Larson said:
So, the throat mic attaches around your throat? Does it pick up vibration from your vocal cords in your throat or something? I can picture it sounding like the old guy who lost his larynx due to smoking and has to hold the little machine up to his throat.

We decided to go with the PTT for sure. Sounds like VOX are a pain to deal with and get right. Pushing a button shouldnt be a big deal. I like the idea of the button coming off the sled with you so you can still talk if you're over looking at a map or something.

Do the earphones fit in your ear, and not you're helmet? I was worried about dealing with the earphones every time we take our helmets off.

thanks
Eric

ViperER said:

throat mic
[snapback]288443[/snapback]​
[snapback]289911[/snapback]​
Ok I just got the Garmin Rino 130's and still am shopping for a setup for the VOX and PTT I've been researching and have found a setup that includes both VOXX and PTT ther ptt fits in your finger of your glove or can be mounted on bar the vox has a twin pick up on your vocal cords so should work great Ias makes the set up and its pricey $89 for the speakers and voxx and ptt but they dissconnect and you put the 2 speakers inside your helmet I use a Mod and BVS helmet.I'm also gonna buy a set from BM800 for the $139 and try those as well should know by this weekend which works better.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've only ever experienced one system and only for a couple weeks at that but I will say that it is likely the coolest part of the sleds we just bought. My boss was the previous owner of both of these and they go on large party trips (12-14 people) quite often so they actually bought radios...like police have. I'm not sure the model but I know they're Motorola's and they build the radio into the sled (sits under the hood below the instrument cluster). The button is wired to the left grip which has another plug that comes off it. Each of the helmets were sent to the manufacturer of the ear/mouth piece and installed so it's built right into the helmet, you'd never see it. The antenna is actually mounted onto the bar in the back of the sled. So all you need to do when you get on is plug your helmet into the small plug by the left grip, and you're good to go.

So far we haven't tested much be he's said they've been 5 miles apart and talked with no problems. I have been a couple miles apart from my brother-in-law and have been able to speak like we were standing next to each other. I don't know the cost of this stuff new but I'm sure it's not cheap. Not sure how this part works but you have to buy a radio frequency too...I'm clueless on that. Very worth it though if you have the cashola.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not sure if you have seen these, but you can get them with different style connectors for different radios and come with a rubberized large PTT button to mount on your handlebars. Helmet speaker mic setup for frs/gmrs radios I emailed them tonight for more info on the quality of sound and where to get them locally. I'll post what I find out. If this doesn't work, I'm looking at the chatterbox gmrs-x1 helmet comms. The regular two way radios will work fine, its just finding a quality speaker/mic setup that is a pain. I know our local law enforcement using this company, so I hope its good stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts