Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue with a cold start. I pump the primer four times, usually starts on a second pull. Will run for about 20 seconds, I can keep it going if I pump the primer and feather the throttle, good for another 20 - 30 seconds. Keep using the primer and throttle for a few minutes, then it will run. Sometimes it will die, out of gas, after another few minutes. Once I get it warmed up, it runs perfectly, idles at 1800 rpm, winds out where it scares me to death, takes off like a rocket.
If I do not catch it and it dies, and I prime it again, it often floods, so the trick is to keep my hands on that primer and pray.
I suspect it is the fuel pump, would love to hear your opinions.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I’m not much help but I have the same sled. I’d just do a full service and see if it fixes it. I found all my fuel line cracked when looking it over after purchasing. Clean the carbs and sync them, buy a rebuild kit for fuel pump (there cheap). Change plugs and inspect primer line condition and maybe compression check. I prime mine from cold till I feel fuel and 2 more then start. No more priming required it idles fine. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not much help but I have the same sled. I’d just do a full service and see if it fixes it. I found all my fuel line cracked when looking it over after purchasing. Clean the carbs and sync them, buy a rebuild kit for fuel pump (there cheap). Change plugs and inspect primer line condition and maybe compression check. I prime mine from cold till I feel fuel and 2 more then start. No more priming required it idles fine. Good luck
Thanks for the advice. I have done most of what you speak, which is probably why it runs so good. However I have not replaced the fuel pump, nor did a rebuild of the fuel pump. It runs great once warmed up, couldn't ask for anything better. I would just like more confidence that it will go from a cold start to warmed up in one step rather than having to baby it along the way.
Where did you find the fuel pump rebuild kit?
B

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have an issue with a cold start. I pump the primer four times, usually starts on a second pull. Will run for about 20 seconds, I can keep it going if I pump the primer and feather the throttle, good for another 20 - 30 seconds. Keep using the primer and throttle for a few minutes, then it will run. Sometimes it will die, out of gas, after another few minutes. Once I get it warmed up, it runs perfectly, idles at 1800 rpm, winds out where it scares me to death, takes off like a rocket.
If I do not catch it and it dies, and I prime it again, it often floods, so the trick is to keep my hands on that primer and pray.
i have a 99formula that will start with afew pumps then run rough & will foul plugs unless as soon as it starts you jump on it & run it hard till it cleans its self out then will idle fine & warm starts great. have yet to be able to figure it out either

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have also had this problem with my sled, same sled same problem to a t. I ended up tearing apart the carburetors and doing a full rebuild with new everything. that solved my issue but you could also clean the carbs and inspect them for any damage if you do not want to rebuild them, another thing you can check is carb boots and making sure there are no cracks and they aren't dry rotted or such.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Where are you storing the sled? Condensation, snow, or water may be your culprit. Try taking off the airbox and looking inside it. Do you have any water? Look at the air intake side of your carbs. Is there any snow, ice, water, slush, etc? You may be able to start and prime to keep it going, but once you press the throttle, you are opening up to water.

Try drying out the airbox and using a lint free rag or paper towel to clean out the air side of the carbs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So further to my story. I replaced the fuel pump, did not seem to remedy the issue. However, I discovered that the fuel pump has an automatic shutoff. It the replacement fuel pump that must not be working, because I lost 9 litres of gas. The only place it could have gone is into the crankcase. I checked the float and the valve, working fine. I had a devil of a time getting the gas out of the crankcase, took days(no drain plugs in the crankcase). Once I got most of it out I got it started. I installed a manual shutoff. Now I am confident that I will not lose my gas.
It is really difficult to get stuff out of that crankcase.

I have decided that the tricky starting thing, I will have to live with. BTW, I pulled that darn cord so much to clear the gas that I broke the spring on the recoil starter. Had to find a replacement for that recoil starter, that was challenging. Now I am thinking it would be nice if I could somehow put an electric start on that machine. I am getting older and pulling that cord is getting harder and harder.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So further to my story. I replaced the fuel pump, did not seem to remedy the issue. However, I discovered that the fuel pump has an automatic shutoff. It the replacement fuel pump that must not be working, because I lost 9 litres of gas. The only place it could have gone is into the crankcase. I checked the float and the valve, working fine. I had a devil of a time getting the gas out of the crankcase, took days(no drain plugs in the crankcase). Once I got most of it out I got it started. I installed a manual shutoff. Now I am confident that I will not lose my gas.
It is really difficult to get stuff out of that crankcase.

I have decided that the tricky starting thing, I will have to live with. BTW, I pulled that darn cord so much to clear the gas that I broke the spring on the recoil starter. Had to find a replacement for that recoil starter, that was challenging. Now I am thinking it would be nice if I could somehow put an electric start on that machine. I am getting older and pulling that cord is getting harder and harder.
I don't know if this would help. I have a 99MXZ same motor. Since i had it new, it sort of had the same issues (depending on the weather) I found it was best to feather the primer to warm it up, wait until the thermostat opens up (usually stalls when that happens) warm it up thoroughly then go!

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
The starting procedure sounds normal.

High rev and flooding out sounds more like needle and seats to me. They get old and they don't stop the fuel flow. This is extremely common on the 90's Skidoos these days. That little neoprene tip wears out and the seats get wallowed out due to the vibration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts