Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2002 Ski-Doo Grand Touring 380F. Ran great until I tried to start it during a cold snap in January. When it warmed up, I tried to get it to start and found there was no spark. I checked all the normal culprits (checked for loose connections, replaced spark plugs, made sure it was getting gas, etc). After bringing the machine into a garage and bringing it up to room temperature over night, it fired right up and ran like a champ. I road it around for about an hour, ran like a champ. I parked it and came back the next day and no spark again.

So I pulled off the coil and brought it in the house. I put the coil back on and it fired it right up. Idled for a about 5 mintues, died and wouldn't start again. Convinced the problem was the coil, I consulted my local dealer who confirmed that was the problem. After "edit for bad language" away $350 on a new coil assembly, the machine started right up, idled for about 10 minutes and died. I almost started a few times then I got nothing again.

Before I take it back to the dealer and have them tell me I need a new stator, anyone have any ideas what I can check? I'm baffled.

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Keep in mind, this 2002 only has 600 miles of mostly fair weather easy trail riding. I've heard a lot of suggestions of a bad stator, but why would a bad stator only work when the coil is warm?

Brian

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I personnally have had the same problem but on a 67 camaro with the coil and it was a dirty ground (moisture) when it was cold it would like ice up but when warm it would still ground thru the moisture.clean the ground area and try it again. good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rblscoot said:
I personnally have had the same problem but on a 67 camaro with the coil and it was a dirty ground (moisture) when it was cold it would like ice up but when warm it would still ground thru the moisture.clean the ground area and try it again. good luck
[snapback]742055[/snapback]​
All the connections into the coil are water tight and like-new. I'm about to bite the bullit and take into the shop. Un fortunately its -30 out right now and I'm not about to go out there and take the coil off in these temps.

·
The 02 REVOLUTION
3,892 Posts
Have you checked the resistance on the ignition coil when it's warm and cold? See if you have a open/break in the coil? Compare the readings. Or have checked to see if it's shorting to ground? Same with the stator. A manual should have a diagram and how many ohms they should be. I have seen and expierenced the same problem on an auto. The temp causes the windings in the coil to expand and contract which in turn causes the grief you are having. Get a manual and try to pinpoint the problem area. May save you some money.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
APC said:
Have you checked the resistance on the ignition coil when it's warm and cold? See if you have a open/break in the coil? Compare the readings. Or have checked to see if it's shorting to ground? Same with the stator. A manual should have a diagram and how many ohms they should be. I have seen and expierenced the same problem on an auto. The temp causes the windings in the coil to expand and contract which in turn causes the grief you are having. Get a manual and try to pinpoint the problem area. May save you some money.
[snapback]742570[/snapback]​
It can't be the coil, I replaced that on monday. I don't have a shop manual for it, unfortunately, and I called the dealer and all they said the closest they had was the resistance specs for a skandic 440. All signs point to the stator, which is NOT what I was hoping for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts