Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 summit 500. raveless. when i am breaking trail in something deep, or is i get into bad slush, after 10 seconds or so it will start to miss and very quickly it loses some rpm and drops out of the power band and i get boned. buuuuut, if you make it to something solid and keep on the power, it doesn't come back untill you let it idle for a few seconds. sometimes pumping the throttle gets another blast of power but just for a second.

running down the groomed lake trail wide open for 2 miles, it push's 80mph and doesn't skip a beat, and any upper mid range speed is flawless too.

testing, adjustments, results.

compression, 135psi both sides. have used 3 sets of plugs, one set being brand new. new plug caps, tried a few different sets of wires. coated caps, plugs, and wire ends in grease, siliconed them into the coil. - no change

adjusted TRA clutch to shop manual spec or notch 5, rather than the sticker on the belt cover that says 1. - rpm is much higher, runs much better. problem persists, but clutch seems to shift better, so less getting stuck.

push the primer in the middle of a fit and it just about quits at WOT it floods so bad. also have been experimenting to get the midrange tuned properly for ages, finally got it sorted out, problem persists, but the less throttle you have on the more you can kind of milk it around since its still making power at lower settings.

sled brought inside and dried out, tank flushed, fuel lines and fuel pump flushed with gasline antifreeze and blown out. i suspect it was varsol rather than isopropyl or something that makes sense, but says it will remove water. fresh premium i bought when i was out of town. lines all inspected, carb boots are good. plugs dont get fouled.

so, ignition. coil, cid and the stator. whats everybody seen go the most? personally ive never seen or heard of a coil failing, which is to bad, its the cheapest and easiest. ive had a cdi on a phazer go, and ive heard of stators going on people. symptoms sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can see why you think that, but ive watched the rpm pretty closely. and when it gets to the hard ground it doesn't accelerate. and sometimes its still doing at least 7000 rpm but its barely moving. also the adjusment of the primary TRA was way off and it was only winding out to like 7000 for at least 1000 miles without this issue. would running a substandard or somehow comprimsed oil cause something whacky?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts