Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help on tuning clutch on trail ported 2001 MXZX 800. Previous owner had some changes made from stock, but he was lake running and I'm more interested in strong corner to corner trail riding. The trail porting was done after I bought it, so his clutching wouldn't work anyway. Have 293X ramps, aprox. 17 lbs of pretension on secondary, stock 53-47 helix. Was running PI/VI 230/320 spring, engaging around 4500 rpm. Tried GN/VI 200/320 spring from my 2000 MXZ 700, engagement didn't drop. Not sure on the pin weight, but it's not stock. Any suggestions on lowering my engagement, or any suggestions on improving on the above setup

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
1BadZ said:
Need help on tuning clutch on trail ported 2001 MXZX 800. Previous owner had some changes made from stock, but he was lake running and I'm more interested in strong corner to corner trail riding. The trail porting was done after I bought it, so his clutching wouldn't work anyway. Have 293X ramps, aprox. 17 lbs of pretension on secondary, stock 53-47 helix. Was running PI/VI 230/320 spring, engaging around 4500 rpm. Tried GN/VI 200/320 spring from my 2000 MXZ 700, engagement didn't drop. Not sure on the pin weight, but it's not stock. Any suggestions on lowering my engagement, or any suggestions on improving on the above setup
[snapback]316831[/snapback]​
What do you want your engagement rpm to be? How low do you want to go? And is the 320 lbs max load right for what you are doing with the pin weight you are running?

Strong corner to corner trail riding.. is not a lot different then drag racing.. I would think you might like the high clutch engagement.. since you are probably essentially hooked up as you slide out of the corner.. 4500 might be what you want.

I use springs with as low as 70 lbs engagement loads to avoid trenching on my mountain sleds.. maybe dropping to the 160 lb engagement spring that was stock in most of the 01-03 doos is what you want... or you can go down to a 130lb engagement spring if you want lower engagement rpm.

70-320 414 701 000
100-320 414 678 400
130-320 414 817 800
160-320 414 817 900

My guess for the reason that you didn't see any difference in the engagement speed with the 30 lbs purported difference between the two springs you tried.. is that the heavier one has lost some tension due to use and age and is closer to the install pressure of the lower one.. rate one.

I have always gone back to the 300 ramps with my 800's and 700's... they seem to be a good compromise for mid range and top end...

I have always been partial to BI helixes.... and a 47/44 BI worked well for what you are planning to do..

·
Registered
975 Posts
Appreciate the advice. I'd like to get the engagement into the low 4000's, as I also run with 136" Renegades, SKS's in some deep stuff, and find I spin too much at 4500. I may have to run 2 setups, as it depends on the time of the season anyway. I couldn't figure the engagement not dropping with the softer start spring, as that one had about 7000k on it, while the 230 / 320 is almost new. The 320 finish seems to be right on for my setup. Any suggustions on a starting point for pretension for the secondary, 16-17 seems a little low, but maybe not

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. My spec book says 17.6, but my buddy pulled it apart and being a Polaris man didn't realize that there were 2 sets of holes, letters and numbers. We missed what it was set to.

·
Registered
975 Posts
It does have any engagement notch. Are you saying that with that notch I am automatically stuck with a certain engagement rpm, regardless of spring?? I do have a set of 280's ( and a set 298's in my 2000 700 ) that I can play with. The 280's are a fairly thick ramp though, so they may engage high anyway.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
any more suggestions?

·
Registered
392 Posts
298'S are the way to go with stock pin weight, astraight 48 in secondary, set your spring around 18 lbs, and adjust from there. gear down a tooth or two also. then230-320 is the right spring, work on weight transfer with your suspension.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks liquid,
any thoughs on making the M10 transfer. I've considering shaving some off the coupler blocks and /or raising the lower front arm into the upper bolt holes

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
throw the 293X ramps in the garbage- the 300 ramps are the best...period (stock ramps) a 160/290 spring, 17-19 grams and the stock cam with the white spring at A-2 works very well...if you want to improve back shift run the factory coated helixs (Black ice cams are near extinct)- I also have a 440 ZX race roller secondary with a coated 53/47 and a new white spring loaded ready to go (best combination possible) for $250- or call me for some proven combinations-BJ

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Appreciate the help Big John. I'll try out a couple of these combinations. I have some 280 ramps also. Any point in trying them.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
1BadZ said:
Appreciate the help Big John. I'll try out a couple of these combinations. I have some 280 ramps also. Any point in trying them.
[snapback]322471[/snapback]​
You can try the 280 ramps but you won't like them... darn; John, it has obviously been a while since I have bought a new helix.. for a doo clutch..
Occasionally find a black ice that will fit the bill on ebay..and we suck them up... wonder how long before I am extinct? Have not moved on to an RER.. but have gone to Hyperlite..for mountains slightly cheaper helixes..

Hmmm... would that be a 440 roller on my 600 ho???

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ever notice how everything is junk to Big John. Then by coincidence he has just the right set up for you for $$$$$. Just an observance. Take it for what it's worth. Bash away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts