Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I upgraded from a Ptec 800xp to a Etech 800xs and its a big difference in power bands. Ptec had more torque on the bottom like exiting corners, controlling inside ski lift with the throttle was always normal for me. Same suspension settings with studs. no ski lift anyware now. Not at all used to this. counter steering felt like I was pushing the limits and enjoyed it. power delivery was much more constant on the Ptec, pulled hard all the time. Etech power delivery is not constant. when the tack hits 5K then there's a big jump in pull, and it comes to life. im looking for that constant (predictable) torque through the entire power band? Any others notice this issue going to the Etec's? Thanks

cross posted in gade form also..

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look up Kory Reed Reeds Racing. His clutch kit made my 800 wake up perfectly.
Thanks I'll try to find it. Got to do something, never been disappointed in a new sleds power delivery until now.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I feel the etec is smoother so its less noticable. Mine rips bone stock and i still have my 09 too so once and a while ill jump back on that and then i deff feel the etec has more power

·
Registered
385 Posts
I dropped to a 25 top tooth and put a cudney clutch kit in it and its night a day difference.mines a 13
what is the stock gearing anyway on a 14? thanks

Lots of good feedback, appears for me clutching for sure, then maybe a tooth down on the gear? My dealer wants me to just try a 160-290 primary spring first..??

Found the # for Reeds Racing,

im just looking to even out the power band. I don't need more on the top, I ride a 800 for the grunt on the bottom.

·
Registered
126 Posts
27 top should be. even if u don't drop gear u will be impressed with clutching it. I was. holds rpms awesome and back shifts great . talk to bill at cudney racing very nice guy

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
27 top should be. even if u don't drop gear u will be impressed with clutching it. I was. holds rpms awesome and back shifts great . talk to bill at cudney racing very nice guy
sounds good, thanks which Cudney kit did you purchase?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a blizzard the top gear is a 23, what would going to up to a 25 do for me? Looks like it came with a 23 or a 25. Guess ill have to pull it apart.
If I'm right, the lower number of teeth on the top gear equals more torque on the bottom, less top end speed.?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Are there clutch kits that keep the smooth engagement. I put a teaM kit on my 09 and its to jerky. My 16/stock is nice and smooth and like that.

I cant keep my 09 from jerkyi g and spinning track especially when on a driveway or something

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Are there clutch kits that keep the smooth engagement. I put a teaM kit on my 09 and its to jerky. My 16/stock is nice and smooth and like that.

I cant keep my 09 from jerkyi g and spinning track especially when on a driveway or something
I believe most kit builders are using similar if not lower engagement with their kits for Etec's.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
miles on sled ? new primary spring, new reeds, new belt, and you'll be good to go. never try to "fix" a sled with a clutch kit. get it running right stock, then modify or you'll never know what did what. my '12 gradually lost some of its response over 2500 miles, so while doing the piston recall, replaced reeds with v force, the new spring and swapped to a gates carbon belt. had already dropped one tooth on the top sprocket. be careful with the belt, they're usually a touch shorter and wider than stock, but work great at half the price. good luck !

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I believe most kit builders are using similar if not lower engagement with their kits for Etec's.
I'm actually looking for a Trail Kit, not a race, just a set up to help out the bottom end. I've owned close to 20 sleds now, never felt I needed to do anything until now...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts