Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm not getting proper rpms with my RS. I've dropped 3 grams of pin weight and still not getting proper RPM. Plugs are cardboard brown, and I'm starting to wonder if I load the motor so hard with the clutching that I could in theory need a larger main jet due to the motor being loaded more. Running 290s now. Just want thoughts and opinions. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I would think it would be the opposite. More load on the engine would require more HP to turn the rpm's. I can only speak from experience but with 290's I would only see about 7900 to 8000. Dropped down to 280's and jumped up to 8200 to 8300. That was with the stock clutching and 14 grams of pinweight. But the 290's for me were on the fat side. No bog but still black on the plugs.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plugs look good though. This is why I'm confused on this. Usually have no issues with clutching and can figure it out fairly quickly. This has me stumped.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What rpm are you turning? I would assume your spinning too low since you are lightening up your pin weight. Have you checked your secondary spring? A pooched secondary will load the motor too quick and cause low rpm.

I'm running 300 jets and it is definately fat, as my plugs are pretty much black, but it has no problem pulling rpm. I'm currently on clicker 4 with a goodwin clutch set up. I have 14.5 grams and It pulls 8400 immediately and stays there till you let off. I could certainly go leaner, but my throttle response is still great and no noticable loss in power. 280's for mine had nearly zero piston wash, so I went fatter. I like being safe.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
If everything base engine wise is good definitely could be the secondary spring like squid said. I know there is a pound spec for when the secondary starts to move. Not sure what it is but 16lbs is coming to mind.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything is brand new in the clutch. New ramps, rollers, primary and secondary spring, rates in theory should be perfect.

·
Registered
347 Posts
How is your compression?

Did it just start doing this? Or was it after a change?

How much pin weight are you currently at?

Are you positive the primary and secondary spring are the correct rate?

My primary is has a finish rate of 405 with 14.5 grams. I know not the same motor exactly, but I would think they would be similar.

I'm sure you know this, but just getting it out there. More pin weight = less rpm. Less pin weight = more rpm. The more pin weight you have, the more pressure applied to the belt and loads the motor. The less pin weight you have, the less pressure applied to the belt and allows a little more slippage.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Started at the recommended 17.5 grams, down to 14.5 grams. Springs are right. Motor is 148 and 147 each side. It changed when I put the new springs, helix and pins in. Put the old clutching in and, bam 8500

·
Registered
160 Posts
Do you have lower factory slipper gear in there ? When they start to slip on and off the will mess with your rpms,clutching and your mind !

Just my two cents happen to me on 09 rs

·
Premium Member
27,928 Posts
Do you have lower factory slipper gear in there ? When they start to slip on and off the will mess with your rpms,clutching and your mind !

Just my two cents happen to me on 09 rs
I am having trouble with rpm at wot with new clutching. I never even thought to question the slip gear. Thank you!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is this by chance a DJ kit? I installed mine a week ago on my 2011 and am experiencing the exact same thing as yours , same RPMs etc. I thought it was jetting too so I started at 320s work my way down to 300s and it was too lean based on plug color so I went to 310s. I started to remove pin weight like you however the change was very little and I struggle to pull 8000 RPM and I get a boog on wide-open throttle for extended periods of time it feels like clutching not like jetting .

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have a DJ kit in my 2015 and also started at 17.5 in clicker 5 and could only pull 8k on the analog tach. Went down to 15.2 grams in clicker 5 and pulls 8300, still a bit low may try to clicker up one and see what happens. This kit seems very responsive but maybe pretty aggressive also.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, this is a DJ kit. I haven't had a lot of time to tinker. I'm not getting any response out of it at all. Fiancés RS with a HPV27 and his SMT helix hauls the mail though!!!!!

·
RS
3,087 Posts
My DJ kit is down to just the base Dalton pin which is 14.5 grams I do belive.. I'm in clicker 5 and can 8200 to rarely 8400.. if in on the trail in cold weather I'll get to 8400...

15 RS with 280 jets and hot start unplugged. . Everything else is stock

·
Premium Member
27,928 Posts
I'm not getting proper rpms with my RS. I've dropped 3 grams of pin weight and still not getting proper RPM. Plugs are cardboard brown, and I'm starting to wonder if I load the motor so hard with the clutching that I could in theory need a larger main jet due to the motor being loaded more. Running 290s now. Just want thoughts and opinions. Thanks in advance
Same issue and dropped a heck of lot more pin weight with no change lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well it looks like we are all suffering from the same issue with this kit. Has anyone found which part of the equation is the problem? I'm thinking of pulling it out and trying someone else's. The stock clutch works better with a different spring for lower engagement.
I am running the goodwin trail kit with great success. It hits 8300-8400 right out of the hole and stays there till you let off. It works great on hard pack and in powder. My engagement is around 4600. However, they suggest 14.5-15.5 pin weight, and I am at 14.5,( just the combination of pin weights I had),If I went 1 more gram, I'm sure I'd be in the low 4's for engagement. Also, I'm currently on clicker 4.

Also, I had some questions before I even bought the kit. I called and they put me in touch with Greg. What a great guy. He talked to me for quite awhile and gave me a lot of information. Jetting, gearing, clutching, track profile suggestions. He had all of the information. After all, they cross country race these sleds, so they have things figured out.

I will also add what old249 said about changing the slipper gear. I had some inconstancy in rpm. I changed out my slipper gear and all of the inconsistency went away. I can't explain why the slipper gear would cause erratic and sometimes lower rpm. This was one the things I asked Greg about and he said to change it. Again, great guy to talk to and full of information he is wiling to share. Also, the slipper gear weighs 2.5 lbs more than the solid!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am running the goodwin trail kit with great success. It hits 8300-8400 right out of the hole and stays there till you let off. It works great on hard pack and in powder. My engagement is around 4600. However, they suggest 14.5-15.5 pin weight, and I am at 14.5,( just the combination of pin weights I had),If I went 1 more gram, I'm sure I'd be in the low 4's for engagement. Also, I'm currently on clicker 4.
Also, I had some questions before I even bought the kit. I called and they put me in touch with Greg. What a great guy. He talked to me for quite awhile and gave me a lot of information. Jetting, gearing, clutching, track profile suggestions. He had all of the information. After all, they cross country race these sleds, so they have things figured out.
I will also add what old249 said about changing the slipper gear. I had some inconstancy in rpm. I changed out my slipper gear and all of the inconsistency went away. I can't explain why the slipper gear would cause erratic and sometimes lower rpm. This was one the things I asked Greg about and he said to change it. Again, great guy to talk to and full of information he is wiling to share. Also, the slipper gear weighs 2.5 lbs more than the solid!!
Thanks for this info, I originally was going to go with a kit from them . It would be nice if Joe saw this thread and chimed in, maybe it's something simple. There are too many experiencing the same thing to be an individual sled issue, maybe he helix wasn't made right?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've always heard great things about joe. I'm sure he will chime in or have advise on where to adjust his kit. Has anyone PM'd him?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts