Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
NEW TO THE FORUM, just wondering if they make clutch kits for a 500cc liquid cooled engine. aren't all the TRA clutches the same. I seen someone put a 500 clutch on a 670 and it was the same. I have a 98 Grand touring 500lc and would like too keep up with the other sleds it has alright speed but would like a little more for me and the wife too keep up on long hauls.

·
Registered
233 Posts
the clutches themselves may be the same, but the kits will be motor-specific, probably won't behave itself on a 500. starting with a gearing-drop would probably make you pretty happy.

good luck, and welcome.
nik

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
froesen said:
the clutches themselves may be the same, but the kits will be motor-specific, probably won't behave itself on a 500. starting with a gearing-drop would probably make you pretty happy.

good luck, and welcome.
nik
[snapback]689540[/snapback]​
how big of drop in gearing would help

·
lay the smack down
2,961 Posts
I would drop one tooth on top for sure.. you should see a very noticable difference.. really wakes a machine up!!

Get in touch with one of the sponsors like Cudney Racing for the clutch..

just my $0.12

love

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mr_heritage said:
I would drop one tooth on top for sure.. you should see a very noticable difference.. really wakes a machine up!!

Get in touch with one of the sponsors like Cudney Racing for the clutch..

just my $0.12

love
[snapback]689864[/snapback]​
Can I still use the stock chain and what are the stock gears in a my 98 GT 500 lc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found my gearing set up and it's 23/44 and the other one is 56 thats the slide gear. the stock chain will work

·
Registered
263 Posts
install the clutch parts from a 98 mxz 500. the motor is the same as the mxz, it just has different clutch calibrations for smooth takeoff and cruising. i have the oem spec book and here is what you would need:

primary clutch: swap to tra281 ramps, set adjuster to position 2, with a violet/yellow spring

secondary clutch: swap to 50 degree helix with stock spring and setting ( 15.4 lbs)

you might also want to go up one tooth on the top sprocket, the mxz has a 43 tooth lower to your 44. you can't swap the lower because you have reverse, but you could add one tooth on top. this would give you a little more top end and it should pull it easily with the more agressive clutch calibrations. this will make your sled engage at 4100 rpm's instead of 3600, and the acceleration should be more agressive with a (very) little more top end speed. you could also get a goodwin clutch kit for a mxz500 but it might be a little too jerky out of the hole for riding 2 up (unless the 'ol lady has a good grip) good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.