Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my problem I purchased an 05 mxzx 600 sdi The previouse owner installed Summit clutch parts in the primary and geared 1 on the the top gear, because this is what someone told him was the "hot setup". I thought it went alright (92 MPH 7800 rpm) but I wanted my topend back, back shift was horrible as well as belt dust was sickening so I went back to stock from the summit parts and changed the top gear as well. Top gear I went from the summit 21 to stock 22, Changed the primary spring from violet-yellow back to stock Blue and yellow and replaced the summit 417 ramps with stock 410's.

Now my problem is that the sled from stand still at wideopen will go from 7500 rpms down to 7000 and hold.....and only hit 80 mph.......Somethings wrong.....A roll on at 60 will only raise the rpm's to 7000 and stay there (80MPH).

Any Ideas Something is not right my belt ride height is about 1/8 of an inch above the secondary, and there is no more belt dust. Do you think he may have changed the helix in the secondary and that is where my problem lies.

Any help is great ......Thank you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Rider_X said:
Someone knows something?
[snapback]706400[/snapback]​
I would think that if they went to all the trouble doing the gearing and primary clutch, that they probably changed out the helix, spring, or both in the secondary. I would look there first.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I 2nd pin weight. If they added summit parts and geared it, they more than likely changed the pin weight in it as well. You are probably running too much weight.

The helix is probably not stock either, but you should be able to get to 8000 - 8100 rpms by playing with the pin weight

·
Registered
745 Posts
Stuck rave valves can keep a sled from making rpms. Are raves cleaned and hooked up properly? You have eraves and there is an air line that needs connecting. I had a similar problem and found the e rave line was not connected.
Other thoughts... what clicker setting is the primary on? Each # represents 200 rpm. Did you try running sled after just changing top gear? 92 mph at 7800rpm sounds about right for a 600 sdi summit. I would have started by just changing top gear and playing with clicker settings. But as they say hind sight is 20/20.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The fact that the sled goes to 7500 and then drops means there is surely a secondary problem. Could be both helix and spring have been changed. I would pull it apart and verify what you have. I would do the same for pin weight.

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
I would get the primary sorted out first, set the clickers on #3 and add or remove weight to get to 8100RPM. Then move on to the secondary if your still having problems.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I agree with Tom White; it's a secondary problem. Sounds like it's opening too fast, then when it opens far enough into a higher gear, it's pulling the motor down before it can make enough torque. This happened to me on one of my old Machs, turned up the pre-tension and bang................8100rpms, but you'll have to test that for yourself. Could be another problem also?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Going from 4 - 1 on your clickers won't help. You need to up a number to get more RPM. Pins are found in the primary. Here's how to get to them, it's a great how to

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6746

You should also pull the helix and compare it to a stock helix if you can find one. Chances are it's been upgraded and when upgrading a helix you need to upgrade springs etc. So going back to stock and not changing the helix may cause this issue

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BigReving said:
Going from 4 - 1 on your clickers won't help. You need to up a number to get more RPM. Pins are found in the primary. Here's how to get to them, it's a great how to

You should also pull the helix and compare it to a stock helix if you can find one. Chances are it's been upgraded and when upgrading a helix you need to upgrade springs etc. So going back to stock and not changing the helix may cause this issue
[snapback]707517[/snapback]​
Right on just got the primary out the helix is a 47/44 is this right for an 05 mxzx 6oo sdi? Next is to take apart secondary, looks like I'll be doing some searching to figure out how......Much different than my polaris. Also I will check the pin weights in the primary not sure what they should be but I will look .

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rider_X said:
Heres my problem I purchased an 05 mxzx 600 sdi The previouse owner installed Summit clutch parts in the primary and geared 1 on the the top gear, because this is what someone told him was the "hot setup". I thought it went alright (92 MPH 7800 rpm) but I wanted my topend back, back shift was horrible as well as belt dust was sickening so I went back to stock from the summit parts and changed the top gear as well. Top gear I went from the summit 21 to stock 22, Changed the primary spring from violet-yellow back to stock Blue and yellow and replaced the summit 417 ramps with stock 410's.

Now my problem is that the sled from stand still at wideopen will go from 7500 rpms down to 7000 and hold.....and only hit 80 mph.......Somethings wrong.....A roll on at 60 will only raise the rpm's to 7000 and stay there (80MPH).

Any Ideas Something is not right my belt ride height is about 1/8 of an inch above the secondary, and there is no more belt dust. Do you think he may have changed the helix in the secondary and that is where my problem lies.

Any help is great ......Thank you.
[snapback]705620[/snapback]​
Put the stock helix back in.Sounds like you have too much helix angle=low rpm-
slow back shift.Sounds like with that other set up you had too much helix angle
and not a strong enough spring -not enough side pressure.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rider_X said:
BigReving said:

[snapback]707517[/snapback]​
Right on just got the primary out the helix is a 47/44 is this right for an 05 mxzx 6oo sdi? Next is to take apart secondary, looks like I'll be doing some searching to figure out how......Much different than my polaris. Also I will check the pin weights in the primary not sure what they should be but I will look .
That 47/44 sounds like too much Helix for a 600.And the secondary spring soundstoo soft,summit uses aviolet spring which is good My 06 800 uses a 48 /40.
Sounds like your clutch set up camefrom the same Clown that sold me my hot set up.Buy a name brand clutch kit,unless you knopw a lot about clutching or have the time to learn.
Thanks
[snapback]707553[/snapback]​

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
therealsnowdog said:
Dude, the helix is in the secondary. As far as I know the helix is in the secondary on a Polaris as well.
[snapback]707631[/snapback]​
Your right but to remove the sheaves on polaris you remove a c-clip on doo you remove some funky retaining clip with another retaining clip.......not nearly tha same as polaris..........ps I know where the helix is just wast sure how to seperate the sheaves....I'm good now built myself a tool.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
#*&%! this sh&% is stupid I just want the thing stock and to pull like it should and to get the proper gas mileage and to do 100 why do people have to #*&% with sh&%...........EEEEEERRRRRRRRGGGGG Now I'm into like 150 bucks for a new helix......Who makes a clutch kit with a helix? I'll let someone else do the math why did I buy someone elses problem?

FOR SALE 2005 MXZX 600sdi 1000 miles...............................just kidding...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So secondary is apart it has the stock black spring in it and a 47/44 helix as mentioned above. One more question does the spring have a nippel that sits into the helix back side of the secondary, if so than I am missing it. Again I am used to POlaris clutches......And if not what do I lign up to reassemble the helix with the spring and sheavth?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rider_X said:
So secondary is apart it has the stock black spring in it and a 47/44 helix as mentioned above. One more question does the spring have a nippel that sits into the helix back side of the secondary, if so than I am missing it. Again I am used to POlaris clutches......And if not what do I lign up to reassemble the helix with the spring and sheavth?
[snapback]707685[/snapback]​
also isnt the stock a team roller secondary, none of my local dealers know what stock is and what the stock angles are.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Rider_X said:
that secondary set up sounds stock to me. the spring should have a small "nipple" that sits in a hole inside the fixed half of the secondary (any hole) or just file the nipple off you don't need it all aftermarket rer springs don't have them. have you checked the pin weight yet?. pull the primary and separate the halves. the moveable half has the weight they are round slugs attached to the arms. if they are solid they are probably stock. if they are hollow then they have removeable set screws in them to adjust weight, if this is what you have then take a setscrew out of each one (3) reinstall and test. if they happen to be solid then make sure you got the right primary spring. when u pull the primary make certain you dont lose the buttons pull apart slow and get the button retainers they make life easier.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
f7eater said:
Rider_X said:
that secondary set up sounds stock to me. the spring should have a small "nipple" that sits in a hole inside the fixed half of the secondary (any hole) or just file the nipple off you don't need it all aftermarket rer springs don't have them. have you checked the pin weight yet?. pull the primary and separate the halves. the moveable half has the weight they are round slugs attached to the arms. if they are solid they are probably stock. if they are hollow then they have removeable set screws in them to adjust weight, if this is what you have then take a setscrew out of each one (3) reinstall and test. if they happen to be solid then make sure you got the right primary spring. when u pull the primary make certain you dont lose the buttons pull apart slow and get the button retainers they make life easier.
[snapback]709285[/snapback]​
Good advice I've had the primary apart and the pins are solid meaning non adjustable I just need to know what I should be running for a primary spring and a helix, does anybody know what cudney or dyno moe run or is this information top secret. I cant even find a 47/44 that in my setup and the dealer only has part numbers and not ramp angles.........AHHHHHHHH
I'm going wacko

1 - 20 of 20 Posts