Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. my cudney trail kit used to enguage at 3400 rpm, now it enguages at 2800 rpm. what would cause this?how can i get it to go back up.

2. what can i use to check the rpm of my motor, i want to see how far my tach is off?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
what does it run WOT on tach? 78-7900? see now if it dropped as well. if not it may be the spring lost its tension. I have heard many higher tension primary springs should be changed at XXX # of miles. just a thought

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as freak, either try a new spring or go to a spring that has more engagement.....for example: original spring was a 200, try a 230. If your shift rpms are correct, try getting as close as possible the same finish rate.

That's what's nice about the clickers, you have some wiggle room once you put the clutch back together and are running it. At least on the final shift rpm's.

The rpm thing may be tough, I haven't heard of anyone getting a digital gauge to work consistently........ie; digitron, avenger. I doo know a vdo will work though. Jiddru put one on his sled when he was running asphalt. Put it in where the stock tach was, very clean looking install.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
also I noticed you said it was Bill's kit. he would know how long a spring should last. how many miles have you run it? I dont know about his kits but my bondi kit EVERYTHING is painted black so the spring rates are unknown to me. Bill would be the man to ask me thinks.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i only have 300 miles on his kit. i just emailed him to see what he says. can belt deflection cause this? i just adjusted mine driven clutch up to 6 and my belt is still not sitting high enough in the clutch. i will be getting a new belt today.

·
Registered
603 Posts
saint1000 said:
i only have 300 miles on his kit. i just emailed him to see what he says. can belt deflection cause this? i just adjusted mine driven clutch up to 6 and my belt is still not sitting high enough in the clutch. i will be getting a new belt today.
[snapback]722765[/snapback]​
It is most likely belt deflection that is your problem. Typically, after I adjust the deflection, I need to click up one on the TRA. Also, it could be the spring...

I don't know they spring rate of Bills kit, but I can tell you I have seen primary springs that sack out after a very short time. The stiffer they are, generally the faster they sack out. It also depends on spring material guage and such, but that may be your culprit. I have tested a new spring, ran it for 10 runs and retested it and found it 15-20% less rate than I started!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts