Post #217
Post #219
Post #224
Post #230

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Holy cow, thats a side vent. I really like the lower one, but the upper one is huge. I noticed that after I finally took off the clutch cover after two years of riding that there was no difference. Unless I drill a ton of holes in the top clutch cover it doesn't look like the clutch gets anymore air with the plastic cover off. That little side vent in the stock setup doesn't seem to do much.

·
Sponsors
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also drilled about 1600 1/8 in holes in the clutch cover really helps get rid of the heat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Run it hard for a few days in some deep powder then let me know if it really makes a difference or not. My clutches still heat up on my 1000 162 even after weights and gearing down. Its better but still not enough. Just hate to see a perfectly good hood Hacked up.(Looks like a good job though) But if it worked its cheaper than belts @140 a Whack!

·
Sponsors
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
High Life said:
Is that door screen material?
[snapback]714563[/snapback]​
No it's a tough mesh fabric I use for lightweight hoods. I got it at fabric wholesaler. Here is a pic.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Idahodoo said:
High Life said:
Is that door screen material?
[snapback]714563[/snapback]​
No it's a tough mesh fabric I use for lightweight hoods. I got it at fabric wholesaler. Here is a pic.
[snapback]714778[/snapback]​
First, REAL nice..second, woudl be willing to get it powder coated Black for you in exchange for one for me

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Also, just thought of the fabric that SLP uses for the socks etc., there is another typeof fabric just like it you can get at fabric stores...will see if I can find some...you could put that stuff on outside and skip powder coating...

Bro in Law has HUGE powder coating business...I get family "discount"

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
rev2xheart said:
Holy cow, thats a side vent. I really like the lower one, but the upper one is huge. I noticed that after I finally took off the clutch cover after two years of riding that there was no difference. Unless I drill a ton of holes in the top clutch cover it doesn't look like the clutch gets anymore air with the plastic cover off. That little side vent in the stock setup doesn't seem to do much.
[snapback]712199[/snapback]​
Doo you have the SLP Flowrites in front like it shows in the front of his panel? I put those in, and that made a HIGE difference...get the rubber surrounded ones though, not the snap in ones...I have lost three snap in ones...and dont let the hole for the rubber ones get too big...or it is like a too big Rubber (not that I know what that is like)

·
Sponsors
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MTdreamRev said:
rev2xheart said:
Doo you have the SLP Flowrites in front like it shows in the front of his panel? I put those in, and that made a HIGE difference...get the rubber surrounded ones though, not the snap in ones...I have lost three snap in ones...and dont let the hole for the rubber ones get too big...or it is like a too big Rubber (not that I know what that is like)

[snapback]714811[/snapback]​
I took the SLP filter mat out and put mesh in makes them allot tougher and flows more air added a little hot glue and haven't lost or tore any more, 4 before this mod.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Idahodoo said:
MTdreamRev said:
rev2xheart said:

I took the SLP filter mat out and put mesh in makes them allot tougher and flows more air added a little hot glue and haven't lost or tore any more, 4 before this mod.
[snapback]714834[/snapback]​
sorry question was forthe revx guy...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Where did you get the aluminum things? Did you make them specifically for this, or are they from something else?

Another quick question.......if hot air is escaping out of that hole and the air intake is right above the hole....do you think there will be any problem with the engine sucking in that warm air?

·
Registered
591 Posts
MTdreamRev said:
rev2xheart said:

No I have thought of putting one of those in, but I have yet to get around to it. Was going to go with the snap in ones due to ease of install, but now I will go with the regular ones.

Idahodoo, that is a pretty sick setup you have there. I like the idea of the holes in the airbox mod you did. Sounds like you could sell these things pretty easy.

·
Sponsors
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sharky74 said:
Run it hard for a few days in some deep powder then let me know if it really makes a difference or not. My clutches still heat up on my 1000 162 even after weights and gearing down. Its better but still not enough. Just hate to see a perfectly good hood Hacked up.(Looks like a good job though) But if it worked its cheaper than belts @140 a Whack!

[snapback]712577[/snapback]​
I have had heat problems from day one had dealer check alignment they said it was fine ?? I got a racing manual and checked it myself (It was off) so much for dealers help. After a lot of checking around on dootalk & snowest, and anywhere & anyone who would talk about heat & belt problems. I have came to these solutions Dynamo Joe's S8X clutch kit with as much pin weight as sled will handle to run the proper RPM, get cool air to the clutches. I float my secondary now with about 3/16 of float split in half inboard and half-outboard movement from the fixed racing book specs. My clutch temps are dramatically lower than when I first got my sled and the performance is no comparison to before I started. I am going to do more work on my clutch vents I have a few new IDEERS but in deep snow they worked quiet well. Keep ya posted on new ideas

PS Side Panels are cheap so mod to your hearts content (at least the 800s are)

·
Ski-doo crash test dummy
1,062 Posts
Idahodoo said:
sharky74 said:

I have had heat problems from day one had dealer check alignment they said it was fine ?? I got a racing manual and checked it myself (It was off) so much for dealers help. After a lot of checking around on dootalk & snowest, and anywhere & anyone who would talk about heat & belt problems. I have came to these solutions Dynamo Joe's S8X clutch kit with as much pin weight as sled will handle to run the proper RPM, get cool air to the clutches. I float my secondary now with about 3/16 of float split in half inboard and half-outboard movement from the fixed racing book specs. My clutch temps are dramatically lower than when I first got my sled and the performance is no comparison to before I started. I am going to do more work on my clutch vents I have a few new IDEERS but in deep snow they worked quiet well. Keep ya posted on new ideas

[snapback]724008[/snapback]​

Idahodoo, great job!
Need some more specific info from you though, if you're willing to share!

1. What is the name of the company you get your mesh from and what's it called?

2. What metal did you use to make the frames from, in the pics, it looks like you have a steel template and cut through it. What's underneath???

3. Where did you get you flaoting secondary kit from and what's the name/model?

Former Spud myself, from Tetonia but live in Utah for now. (Good job $$$ and great Pow!) But it still ain't Idaho!

Would appreciate any shared info!!

·
Sponsors
3,964 Posts
Sno-Bull said:
Idahodoo said:
sharky74 said:

[snapback]724008[/snapback]​

Idahodoo, great job!
Need some more specific info from you though, if you're willing to share!

1. What is the name of the company you get your mesh from and what's it called?

2. What metal did you use to make the frames from, in the pics, it looks like you have a steel template and cut through it. What's underneath???

3. Where did you get you flaoting secondary kit from and what's the name/model?

Former Spud myself, from Tetonia but live in Utah for now. (Good job $$$ and great Pow!) But it still ain't Idaho!

Would appreciate any shared info!!

[snapback]724199[/snapback]​
. Its just a local bulk fabric store I think its called fabrics Plus.

·
Ski-doo crash test dummy
1,062 Posts

Thank You Sir!
Gotta Doo something, clutch heat is making the belt makers rich off of me!

Later!

·
Sponsors
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My sled is a blast to ride now and the Doo dealer aint gettin my $104 for belt all the darn time
. My belt problems are a thing of the past. With S8X kit, My cooling vents & cover and foating my clutch its just a joy to go riding YAHOOOOO

1 - 20 of 291 Posts