Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry to start another clutch thread.lol but when i was up north recently i noticed if i started off accelerating slowly from a stop there was no clunk. but med to heavy throttle from a stop i hear a clunk. sounds like same noise if you had the belt off and rev enough to make primary slam inwards. i dont want to damage the primary by leaving this way and im sure its not normal.

is this a belt deflection issue ? stretched belt? i definately cant do hole shots with this happening.

i have the manual and it says to adjust secondary to tighten or loosen belt but belt seems like its already pretty high up on the secondary.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Check the chain for stretching. I had this happen once. Same noise under hard acceleration.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
sorry to start another clutch thread.lol but when i was up north recently i noticed if i started off accelerating slowly from a stop there was no clunk. but med to heavy throttle from a stop i hear a clunk. sounds like same noise if you had the belt off and rev enough to make primary slam inwards. i dont want to damage the primary by leaving this way and im sure its not normal.

is this a belt deflection issue ? stretched belt? i definately cant do hole shots with this happening.

i have the manual and it says to adjust secondary to tighten or loosen belt but belt seems like its already pretty high up on the secondary.
Check that your primary is not binding. Check the secondary as well. A complete tear down and careful inspection are in order.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that would make sense. maybe as it finally brakes free it engages to hard? mine sounds like clutch bottoming out. but i really dont have to start off too quick for it to happen . if i slowly bring up the revs it will be smooth ill have to double check deflection and if its not loose ill def take apart. what sucks is already spent my limit this year but the mach is always hungry for my cash. :mad_old:

i do all my own work but ive never had a skidoo clutch apart so i might just have the dealer do this one. whats the norm amount of $ for a rebulid if no major parts are damaged?

·
Registered
347 Posts
We're you locking the track up when this happened? Sometimes, if you lock the track up during a stop, even just a little, the secondary doesn't close all the way and the belt is down in the sheaves a bit. If you take off slow, the sheaves close gently. If you take off with a little more throttle, the secondary sheaves close hard and can make some noise. If you started to notice this in loose snow, that could be the issue.

·
Registered
919 Posts
It's a normal condition as mentioned by justaquid, my 05 GSX has done it from day one, now have 17K on the sled and it's still the same.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
that would make sense. maybe as it finally brakes free it engages to hard? mine sounds like clutch bottoming out. but i really dont have to start off too quick for it to happen . if i slowly bring up the revs it will be smooth ill have to double check deflection and if its not loose ill def take apart. what sucks is already spent my limit this year but the mach is always hungry for my cash. :mad_old:

i do all my own work but ive never had a skidoo clutch apart so i might just have the dealer do this one. whats the norm amount of $ for a rebulid if no major parts are damaged?
Taking a clutch apart is really not that hard. There are plenty of Youtube video's showing how its done. Having a dealer rebuild and entire clutch.... $$$$

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Check the chain for stretching. I had this happen once. Same noise under hard acceleration.
A skipping chain sounds like SEVERE track ratcheting.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was on some icey trails . and was after coming to a stop sign and taking off. could emulate loose snow i guess. and yes i was kinda locking up track as coming to a stop. i hope thats all it is.

is cleaning of the primary and maybe some wd 40 inline? just as prev maint. when i had my polaris i used to spray it down with wd and clean it off . never seemed to hurt

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've heard of people using WD-40, but never have myself.

I've always cleaned my clutch faces with a fine scotchbrite pad with a x cross hatch pattern and a light press. Try not to use your palm so you get nice even pressure. folding the pad helps too. Then I usually clean it with isopropyl alcohol. I don't like to leave any type of residue on the surface of the clutch.

If you were locking up your track, even as slow as 5-10 mph, I'd bet money the secondary is what you were hearing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts