Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Going through my clutch for the first time since I bought this used sled. ('01 Summit 800 151) Removed the main, center clutch bolt and inserted the clutch puller tool. Started cranking it in, expecting to hear a nice pop when the clutch releases from the crank..... instead I hear a strange "crack", and the puller pops out with the threads full of the female threads inside the clutch. Looking down the shaft, it is smooth-ish. No threads left to re-tap, and the inner clutch is not loose.

I have a spare inboard portion of the clutch, but now I have to get this thing off.... No threads, and very very stuck onto the crank. Ideas? Please?

I have a plasma cutter, but I don't want to chance ruining my crank or crank seal. If I had any hair left, I would be pulling it out!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Arrrgh, I feel your pain. Yet another reason to use the "water method" over a conventional puller. Not sure what the metal is at the outside end of your clutch but I would research tapping it with a slightly larger fine thread tap and doing the "water method" to take it off. A store like Fastenal should have the tap and bolt that will work for you.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet Mary and moon pies; 8 hours of work to get my fixed inner clutch off. :angry2: I even taught myself some new phrases.

Apparently the clutch had spun on the crank at some point, and essentially welded itself on. At the end it came down to 2 hours of VERY delicate "pecking" with a plasma cutter.

I never want to do that again......

·
Registered
235 Posts
Since you have a spare inboard part take the outer off leaving a nice stub to weld a nut to. Any size will do as long as you have a bolt to thread into it that fits into the bore of the clutch. Now you can use the water method.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is exactly what I did - I tried the water trick 6-8 times and the mutha wouldn't go. I'm telling you, I have never seen anything like it.

(And I never want to again!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts