Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a little searching and really found nothing like what I was looking for.

What belt are you running?
How is it holding up?
Mileage?
Clutch set up: Floating QRS, PB80, TAPP, stock?

Doo belts are ~120 a piece (which is just ridiculous if you ask me) Just curious who's running what and if they are more cost effective. With the stock doo clutch set up wearing belts quite fast this may be a useful exercise.

Post your setup first.

Primary Clutch
Primary Spring
Secondary Clutch
Secondary spring
Floating QRS YES/NO
Belt you are using
~mileage out of said belt.

Also add if you have done anything to align your clutches.

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
With the stock doo clutch set up wearing belts quite fast this may be a useful exercise.
I have never noticed this sled wearing belts fast at all...quite the opposite. But I change mine rather frequently anyway for peak performance.

Anywho...I've run TRA in the past, and now PB80. Non floating 2ndary with hi-torque rollers. No alignment efforts made, some venting added ahead of primary for cooling. My springs and weights change regularly...and clutches get frequent cleaning/inspection...I'm always tweaking.

I've used both with 383 doo belt and XTX 5034 belt. Both work the same IMO. I've never had one noticeably wear, much less break or fray.

My #1 tip for saving money on belts...change them rather often...before they're worn. For my typical 2,000 miles or less per year I'll buy a brand new one usually every year, with careful shopping for a really good deal in the off season...spring or early summer. You'll always find someone selling new 383's at some point for under $100 shipped. XTX's even less. Then, in November/December, when pre-season part demand is hitting it's peak, Ebay your lightly used belt from last season at 99 cent minimum bid. Competition will skyrocket the price on up to the highest bidder. If you're a higher mileage rider, just do it twice a year, before your belt wears to the point of losing value. I've been doing this for years. It keeps my sled in a brand new belt for about $20 to $40 per swap.

Think nobody would ever buy a used belt? Think again. To give you an idea of what to expect, here is the result of this year's "used 383 belt" sale, just ended a few days ago, which had minimal mileage due to a poor snow season combined with a mid-year change to an XTX belt. Usually I get a little less $$ than this with somewhat higher mileage belts, but I've never seen less than $55ish. I gotta admit I was really pleased at the end of this sale...:
http://www.ebay.com/...6ac9463&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's some good info there. Interesting.

I know some sleds do better than others. Just based on what I have read on the QRS needing shimmed to come into alignment on some sleds. But...not on others.

G

·
Pb80
Team secondary
391 belt and works awesome
Also run 377 belt with good luck also
Belt temps are manageable
4 frogskinz vents on clutch side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts