Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of talk about clutch heat and belt heat. When measuring the X and Y it says to include the thickness of the BRP alignment bar. Not having the bar, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the thickness of the bar is? Can't see the reason for buying the bar when you can use a good carpenter's framing square to accomplish the same thing. With a little math one could get the numbers the the service manual is wanting you to work with.

From the pics in the manuals it looks like the bar could be about 6.5mm thick.

·
boost junkie
10,604 Posts
any size bar will work, but around 3/8 bar is about the best

the bar size does not matter because you are measuring off the fixed shieve (outer) of the secondary

to the inter (motor) side of the primary clutch

you cant get a square down in the bottom of the secondary

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
A lot of talk about clutch heat and belt heat. When measuring the X and Y it says to include the thickness of the BRP alignment bar. Not having the bar, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the thickness of the bar is? Can't see the reason for buying the bar when you can use a good carpenter's framing square to accomplish the same thing. With a little math one could get the numbers the the service manual is wanting you to work with.

From the pics in the manuals it looks like the bar could be about 6.5mm thick.
I just posted pics in my thread. Bar size means nothing. It just needs to be able to clamp down into bottom of secondary.

Pics and info here: http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1149097-rockerdans-1200x-build-thread-lots-of-technical-info-on-the-new/?p=15269897

Dan

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have read all the comments about the thickness of bar not making a difference. I didn't have a 3/8 bar so I did my measurement with a 3/4 square tube I had. For some reason when I measure with that my X measurement is 39mm but I just went today and got a 3/8 bar and now my X measurement is around 34mm.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I have read all the comments about the thickness of bar not making a difference. I didn't have a 3/8 bar so I did my measurement with a 3/4 square tube I had. For some reason when I measure with that my X measurement is 39mm but I just went today and got a 3/8 bar and now my X measurement is around 34mm. Really confused.
your 3/4 bar was probably not sitting correctly in the primary. and being deflected away. now you 3/8 rests on the post of the primary and not being deflected away by the sheave. it gives a smaller number

·
Registered
819 Posts
Did you watch Rockerdans video he shared? it is very informative and definitely worth the watch if your having issues getting your measurement

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I have read all the comments about the thickness of bar not making a difference. I didn't have a 3/8 bar so I did my measurement with a 3/4 square tube I had. For some reason when I measure with that my X measurement is 39mm but I just went today and got a 3/8 bar and now my X measurement is around 34mm. Really confused.
It doesn't make a difference as long as it's not rubbing against the primary fixed sheave, causing a bigger measurement like you had. Roughly 3/8" works, just know it doesn't have to be exact .

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
As stated, the 3/4 bar is probably too thick and hitting against the fixed sheave of the primary. That's the only reason they suggest a 3/8 bar. A 1/4 bar will work.

Heck I use my old TRA clutch holder. The one with the hook on the end for the TRA's with the a slot in them. I lay the curved part over the shaft of the primary.

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,653 Posts
Great idea Wink, didn't think of using that! :cool_old:

-grover

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
Yeah I use my old Yamaha alignment bar. It's quite a bit thinner than Doo recommends, but makes no difference...you get the same results on measurements. It's straight and clamps between the secondary sheaves..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts