Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heading out for a ride with the boys last Saturday. Sled starts and warms up fine, we start to go and I do a couple of decent catwalks about five minutes into the ride. A couple of minutes later there is a clunking coming from underneath the sled (I thought) under load. Sounds like every one of the track lugs or drive lugs are hitting something in one spot. Could not find the problem not matter what I did - raised rear - hand crank track, raised rear motor spin track, lay sled on side and hand crank, take of chaincase cover and inspect - nothing to be found. Even layed sideways on the seat lite throttle down the lake looking underneath, nothing. Tighten the track up - it didn't sound like ratcheting but the track's a touch loose so it won't hurt - nope, not the problem.

By now the boys are gone ahead and I'm about to pack it in and load the sled up. On a last minute whim I thought, what the hell, I'll throw a new belt on (the belt on it is pretty new but...). Sure enough it was the fricken belt. I'm a little embarassed for not trying that sooner but I have not seen a belt doo that before.

Some of you guys out there are probably saying "well you should of checked the belt first thing ya idiot". Ya, hindsight's 20-20 but just in case others out there don't think of checking the belt in such a scenario, you should try it.

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,316 Posts
Yeah you never know what it is really. My clunk clunk clunk was the rear shock hitting my holey track after the bottom bolt broke and it was loose and rubbing on the inside of the track. Took awhile to figure that one out. I didn't even figure it out.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
that wasn't as dumb as when my bro was riding his old indy 440 and it just died and we go to pull it and it just rolls forward when u pull it and my buddy goes u must have blown up the engine and we went and got rope to pull it home and we go to take off the belt so it can go freely and the belt was caught in the secondary!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts