Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  1. I have a 2012 summit xp 600 etec 154 inch. The dealer installed the sea level kit befor i bought the ski-doo and its only reaching 7500 rpms WOT and than drops down to 7200 and stays there until i let of the gas. Its about 450 kms on it now so I was thinking maybe its still i break in mode??. The clickers is set on number 3 from dealer and he said that"s what brp recommends. Anyway i went to set them on number 4 without luck. The 3 bolts wont go on setting any higher then 4. It just wont spin. It goes from 3 - 1 and back from 1 to 3 without a problem. It just wont turn.. so do this have to do with the sea level kit?. I called Dealer and they said that it might have to do with the sea level kit. They currently dont have a mechanic. Thanks again.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i forgot to add.. when at idle and give it a bit of gas and let it idle back down, the clutch makes a noise like its something inside rattling around until its back on idle rpms. and if i dont use it for a few days and its really cold out, untill the sled is warmed up the clutch is really loud. i think i can remember hearing another summit the same way a few years ago.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Are you using the 13 mm wrench to spin it past #3? A lot clutches require the wrench when increasing to a higher clicker number because you pushing the ramp. I've never been able to go higher with just my fingers. You could also try moving the clicker to 1, start it up, engage the clutch a couple times with the track off the ground and then try moving the clicker up to 4. Like fitz said pop the clutch off if this doesn't work.

·
Registered
451 Posts
i forgot to add.. when at idle and give it a bit of gas and let it idle back down, the clutch makes a noise like its something inside rattling around until its back on idle rpms. and if i dont use it for a few days and its really cold out, untill the sled is warmed up the clutch is really loud. i think i can remember hearing another summit the same way a few years ago.
Spin the clutch by hand. You should hear the same noise. It's your three arms bouncing between the spring cup and ramps. This is normal unless you have excessive arm bushing wear which you then need to pull clutch to inspect.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Use a wrench and some moderate force. You wont break anything. They often dont spin by hand.
However using an adjustable weight kit would be a better option than clickers for calibrating to your elevation. Clickers just change the angle of the ramps and the rpm response. At this rate youll have to go to clicker 5 or 6 to get your rpms right and at that steep an angle you get less "push" from the levers. (Less belt squeeze) so the rpms will drift even easier.

Best to calibrate rpms for clicker 3 or 4. The clickers are best used in the field to adjust for snow conditions.

You need less weight to acheive your peak rpms.

Also regarding rpm drift. This is also a result of the generally poor calibration that BRPs kits deliver (according to many on here at least) Might also be that the BRP kits are really meant for 800s. Not sure if there are different kits. I suggest going to www.ibackshift.com and ordering a kit from Dynamo Joe. You can search him on here.

He really has been the solution many many people on here. Again though, not sure what he has for 600s.

At the very least, buy an adjustable pinweight set and lower you pinweight.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
That rattling at idle is no good though. X2 on pulling the primary and see whats up.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
NEVER ask your Ski Doo dealer anything about calibration. It is a very rare instance that they know anything more about them than the features and financing options.
Even the service guys. They are all about factory specs and thats it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you using the 13 mm wrench to spin it past #3? A lot clutches require the wrench when increasing to a higher clicker number because you pushing the ramp. I've never been able to go higher with just my fingers. You could also try moving the clicker to 1, start it up, engage the clutch a couple times with the track off the ground and then try moving the clicker up to 4. Like fitz said pop the clutch off if this doesn't work.
ok thanks ill try that and see if it works.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spin the clutch by hand. You should hear the same noise. It's your three arms bouncing between the spring cup and ramps. This is normal unless you have excessive arm bushing wear which you then need to pull clutch to inspect.
i guess its normal than, cuz the ski-doo only got about 420 kms on it so its nothing worn thanks. but i think i remember hearing the same noise on another few xps as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do your ski-doo reach top rpm while in break in mode?. mine is only reaching 7500 and then gos down to 7200 WOT. not really sure how much fuel i burned guessing little over two tanks and i have around 22.0 hours with 420kms. i have my clickers on 3 from dealer, with sea level clutch kit installed. any help would be great

·
Registered
451 Posts
Do your ski-doo reach top rpm while in break in mode?. mine is only reaching 7500 and then gos down to 7200 WOT. not really sure how much fuel i burned guessing little over two tanks and i have around 22.0 hours with 420kms. i have my clickers on 3 from dealer, with sea level clutch kit installed. any help would be great
What elevation are you at?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
NEVER ask your Ski Doo dealer anything about calibration. It is a very rare instance that they know anything more about them than the features and financing options. Even the service guys. They are all about factory specs and thats it. Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Thats not really fair Greenspire. yes some dealers are horribly in the dark about clutches, and tuning but not all of them!!!!!

To the OP Get ahold of Dynamo Joe and if you can afford it get one of his clutch kits.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I didnt say all. I mentioned very rare instances.

Most cant even tell you whats in the brp sea level clutch kit, let alone why its there. Even the reps scoff, SCOFF! at people who adjust clutching and stuff cause they claim brp makes them perfect.

Remember most BRP dealers are selling bikes, quads, boats and tractor too.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Should reach peak rpm easily after 50km. Mine did.

X3 on Dynamo Joe. Again.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Have the dealer take out a couple grams of pin weight and try to stay on clicker 3-4.
Make sure there isnt another issue like exhaust valves not functioning ( bullitin on this).
Sounds like you are missin out on a lot of performance, hopefully you have a competant dealer that will make it right.

·
Metalhead
9,232 Posts
Mr. summit154
I have an opinion. I think it would be an investment to start to learn to dig into your clutch. Step out from under the care of the mechanicless dealer and become capable for acting for yourself in this particular clutching issue. It is not hard, all it takes is some patience, a small place to work and you are the perfect guy to do it because Novices are not pre-programmed, easily malleable and open minded - take the opportunity to get dir-tayyy.

Advice for the Novice
Watch some maintenance videos and get the tools in your hands and go to town. BTW, I should have new videos up for doing maintenance on 2013's Freerides by the weekend. (haven't had time to finish editing this week)

Here are the 2012 specs for both elevations.

Once you can identify which flyweight pin you have, then you can go source out an aftermarket adjustable pin kit. It would be nice to know what amount of grams there actually is in the levers.

Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Pattern

Attachments

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Dude. I was you only 8 months ago. Then i caught Joes videos on Youtube doing an entire kit install on an '09 (i think) xp and i realized it was so easy. As long as there is guys out there that have done the homework on calibration, we just have to turn a couple wrenchs and really get to know our sleds.

Here's what hooked me:

Joe, thanks for the inspiration :wub:..:lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.