Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill Cudney set me up with a trail performance clutch this fall. After 200 miles of riding I'm wondering if I should adjust the clickers on the primary. After riding on a perfect lake I recorded 110MPH on speedo with RPM's sitting at 8250 on tach. I do realize that the tachs are usually off and those RPM's might really be 8050 or so. The primary bolts are set at #3 right now. I'm wondering if I should go down to #2? The sled does not feel like it is falling on its face anywhere and in the midrange smokes my friends 2002 MXZ 700 with no clutch modifications, I jump him by 4 or 5 sled lengths. We both sit side by side on top end. I saw 8250 rpm's and got nervous that I was going to smoke my motor if I ran it there too long. When I am trail riding the tach always seems to hang around 8000-8100rpm's when I crack it, just creeps up to 8250 when on the lake holding it open. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I would try going down to clicker 2. Race your buddy the way it is now then turn it down to 2 and race him again and see if there is a difference on how it performs.

·
Registered
648 Posts
summit22 is right on. Go down to 2 and race him. Compare a little bit. I read a article from ski doo 2 year's ago and they said to stay on or below a little in the r.p.m. .They said peak h.p. is at rated r.p.m. in the owner's manual's depending what engine you have. They said you are at better h.p. a little under rather than a little over in the rpm. If you overrev, you risk shaking the motor down. I saw a 2002 800 in a shop a week ago. I asked what the problem was and he said the guy overreved the motor and it was the second one he was repairing this year on overreving. If you feel you are running at 8050, you are right at wanting to come down to #2.

·
Registered
217 Posts
hey boneidaho my 2002 700 runs at about 8100 or maybe a little more when i pin it to the bar, am i missing the peak horsepower rpm? if so what should i do,i have never really messed with the clutch clickers so im not really firmilar with them, if you or anybody else has any input it would be great thanks!

·
Registered
757 Posts
First I'd find out how accurate your tach is. On average all doo tachs read about 150 rpms high. Some as high as 250 rpms and there have been a few that read low by 150 rpms.

·
Registered
757 Posts
sledguy0405 said:
how would i find out if my tach is off or not?
[snapback]263803[/snapback]​
Thats a good question. I think there is some kind of tach that small engine mechanics use that clips to one of the plug wires. Your dealer or a hardware store that services small engines should have one. I'd call around and see if one of those guys would calibrate your tach for you. I'm sure you can buy one somewhere too but I'm not sure on a price. Let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm also looking to liven up my '02 700.....

If anyone has a specific clutch set-up that has worked well, I'm all ears!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts