Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people use to clean the "newness" off a drive belt so as not to make such a mess of your primary clutch. Maybe it wouldn't really help anyhow, as it wears I am sure the mess would take place anyhow... I have heard to spray brake cleaner on a rag and wipe the belt or use acetone ??? Just don't want to weaken/damage a new belt....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pipeman said:
Just wondering what people use to clean the "newness" off a drive belt so as not to make such a mess of your primary clutch. Maybe it wouldn't really help anyhow, as it wears I am sure the mess would take place anyhow... I have heard to spray brake cleaner on a rag and wipe the belt or use acetone ??? Just don't want to weaken/damage a new belt....

[snapback]286416[/snapback]​
The "newness" is a silicon based mold release used to help get the belt out of theh mold. I always wipe them down with a rag soaked in isopropyl dry gas. Doesn't hurt the belt.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok ,l just talked to a local motor shop that deals with gates,dayco,carlisle etc.... They called the manf. and were to told not to use any alchohol based cleaners as it will break down the material. Simply soak them in warm soapy water and rinse well...........Interesting This is what I have done but only helps a little. Oh Well....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.