Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Someone brought to my attention that exhaust can not be modified in ANY way in Old Forge, NY. I am scheduled to go on my first trip there in about 2 weeks and this has me a little concerned. I have a 1999 SkiDOO MXZ 670HO. It has OEM y-pipe and pipe with a DYNOPORT can. The can is pretty loud but when running with other sleds it doesn't seem too bad. The clam shells and insulation on the pipe were in sad shape so I removed them and wrapped the whole system in header wrap. Sealed the deal with high temp black paint. When you look at it, the system does not look stock what so ever. I was also told they will ask you to pull the hood for inspection if you get pulled over for a noise violation... So my question is, does anyone run a DYNOPORT can and have any issues up there? Do they issue warnings or just go straight for the kill with a big fine?... Throw me some feedback about anything you have seen or encountered in Old Forge, NY. Thanks!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
pretty sure its anywhere in NY no aftermarket cans stock only. Guy in our group had the ceramic system on a rush no questions just a ticket . That was in Sherman NY ,southwestern part of state .

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not 100% sure on how big or what the fine is but I do know that in NY like 540sparkey said stock exhaust only. They will ask you to open the hood at checkpoints if they suspect anything.

·
Super Moderator
29,432 Posts
If you have the OEM stuff I'd suggest putting it back on. If not you're taking your chances.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...I do not have the OEM muffler. I purchased the sled used and the DYNOPORT is what the dude had put on it. I am on an eBay mission right now to get one asap.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 08 XP 800R with a Dynoport Pipe and trail can. 3 weeks ago up in Old Forge I went through 3 different checkpoints and never had an issue. If you can find a Dynoport trail can on ebay buy it or call Rich at Dynoport I'm sure he will have what you need. Rich's number is 315-253-9631

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am looking for an OEM to eliminate any possibility of being busted. If anyone knows what other years and models that have the same muffler, let me know! Finding one is like a needle in a hay stack. If anyone has one laying around, lets talk business!

·
Registered
591 Posts
ive ran crank shop pipes on all my sleds est 1999, 1997 1025 triple 2000 830 twin 2001 900 twin and my 04 740 twin never have been asked to open hood or gotten a ticket, I live 40 miles from old forge and ride there all the time, if your not drunk or acting like an as s hat you should be ok,

on that note.................... by the letter of the law ny says no modification to oem system so the call is up to you.

good luck

·
Registered
449 Posts
The whole state of ny is that way. Certain areas seem to be more prone to enforcement(Old Forge, Tug Hill). Sometimes they are just checking registrations while others are checking for exhausts. Depends on whos doing the checking and how strict they want to be that day. Not to preach or start a war but loud exhausts are the top reason land owners complain and close trails, so why give them a reason to take away more places to ride.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The whole state of ny is that way. Certain areas seem to be more prone to enforcement(Old Forge, Tug Hill). Sometimes they are just checking registrations while others are checking for exhausts. Depends on whos doing the checking and how strict they want to be that day. Not to preach or start a war but loud exhausts are the top reason land owners complain and close trails, so why give them a reason to take away more places to ride.
This is why I am looking for an OEM muffler to put on before the trip. As stated above, the sled came with the can already on it. In PA, we ride it like we stole it. We do not have the same type of laws / rules about sound. ATV's are the same way in PA. Race exhaust is very popular... I am looking to follow laws and regulations with NY so that there will be no issues.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Apparently a few of you guys have paid ZERO attention to what the OP is saying. He posted here for information and is willing to switch his exhaust back to stock. He seems like a good, cooperative guy in my opinion.

It has been said already. NY is a totally stock system state. I run stock everything, but people in my group run SLP stuff and to the best of my knowledge have never gotten busted. It is illegal though, so like also stated before, the call is yours. Its refreshing to see you willing to change your system in order to help not only yourself, but others as well.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Someone brought to my attention that exhaust can not be modified in ANY way in Old Forge, NY. I am scheduled to go on my first trip there in about 2 weeks and this has me a little concerned. I have a 1999 SkiDOO MXZ 670HO. It has OEM y-pipe and pipe with a DYNOPORT can. The can is pretty loud but when running with other sleds it doesn't seem too bad. The clam shells and insulation on the pipe were in sad shape so I removed them and wrapped the whole system in header wrap. Sealed the deal with high temp black paint. When you look at it, the system does not look stock what so ever. I was also told they will ask you to pull the hood for inspection if you get pulled over for a noise violation... So my question is, does anyone run a DYNOPORT can and have any issues up there? Do they issue warnings or just go straight for the kill with a big fine?... Throw me some feedback about anything you have seen or encountered in Old Forge, NY. Thanks!!
Just answering a question you asked. If your getting an oem exhaust that is the way to go and you seemed to have solved the answer to your own question. Whether you get stopped and ticketed or not is irrelevant, the noise damage is the problem. Its good you asked first, shows you care, more then I can say about most you see out there.

·
cool beans
37,824 Posts
Glad to hear you want to put the muf back in the mufler ,I have a whole sled ide let go for 1500 buck's but im out of your way. :smile_old:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Geeez... Give the guy a break..

He came on here asking a question... And know he is looking for a stock exhaust to put on because he does not want to get a ticket and/or tick off land owners...

And crate.. I always ride in old forge and there are stops in lots of places. Hope you find a stock exhaust so they don't mess with you.. I'm sure you will find one somewhere..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thank you to those who read the entire post and comments within to understand what is going on. lol Some people just like to start trouble. Comments like that are not needed. At any rate, I am doing my best to track down an OEM silencer. I found a member on here who has one sitting around collecting dust. He thinks it should fit. My understanding is the pipes on a 670 are different than a 670HO. However, the silencer is the same. Fingers crossed. I wasn't aware there were so many issues with noise in NY. In PA, I belong to an ATV group and I don't think there is ONE person without custom exhaust. We ride in the wasteland of the coal regions so the louder the better so you know if someone is coming or going. NY is a different story...

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Exhaust can is specific to the 670 HO motor. 99 only for the MxZ 670 HO, Maybe one off a 98/99 Summit X but you'd have to check part numbers. Good luck with the search.

Reactions: MrRickyBobby
1 - 20 of 54 Posts