Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my citation was running well and after a while i was running it would bog out and if i let it sit for a couple min it would run fine and it was a pretty warm day +4 celcius.would overheating cause it to bog
thanks
Corey Pratt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
sleddyeddy said:
my citation was running well and after a while i was running it would bog out and if i let it sit for a couple min it would run fine and it was a pretty warm day +4 celcius.would overheating cause it to bog
thanks
Corey Pratt
[snapback]257946[/snapback]​
mine did that to me once i was going up a hill with me (140 or so punds and my cuzin 150 more) and it lost all power there was this small hill and it wouldnt make it up it and im talking like a 10 degree hill here but i let it cool downa and went back n it and it was fine...but for yours its could be the carbs and maybe overheating and did the citations '81 4500 come with any cooling system or just free air?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yah the citations had fan cooled....thanks for the help i don't think it's the carbs
i thought it was juss overheating
thanks
Corey pratt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
sleddyeddy said:
yah the citations had fan cooled....thanks for the help i don't think it's the carbs
i thought it was juss overheating
thanks
Corey pratt
[snapback]258418[/snapback]​
wheres the fan mine must be broken i cant hear it?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
the fan on the right side of the motor and u can't here the fan but if u look on the side wen it's running u should see it spinning if it's not spinning ur fan belt is probaly broke....u can also feel alot of air commin out the top of the cowling wen its runnin
thanks
Corey Pratt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
sleddyeddy said:
the fan on the right side of the motor and u can't here the fan but if u look on the side wen it's running u should see it spinning if it's not spinning ur fan belt is probaly broke....u can also feel alot of air commin out the top of the cowling wen its runnin
thanks
Corey Pratt
[snapback]258768[/snapback]​
thanx alot i will check that when i get it running
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
hi my name is ken and i have an 81 citation with the same prob .
on a warm day it over heats but i found that my oil injector was not working all the time.
you might want to check that i run mine at +10 and is fine now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
I have a 1980 4500 and It would idle fine. Ride it around the yard a few times and it would start to bogg. Well the engine ceased and when I took it apart, the skirt had broken off the piston and damaged my cylinders and heads. Come to find there was .012" piston to cylinder clearance when it should be only .002" -.004" This caused sever piston slap which busted the piston. As the engine warmed up it must have been losing compression and giving the boggy condition. Engine rebuild under way! snow is on the ground. lots of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it was the fuel pump....and then i had a problem with all the exhaust bolts comming out had to take the motor out and put new bolts in...now it was running fine then i shut it off and it would bog when u hit the gas and not idle good then it would run fine again...it's also been backfiring a couple of times,,,any suggestions would be apprecited
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
sleddyeddy said:
it was the fuel pump....and then i had a problem with all the exhaust bolts comming out had to take the motor out and put new bolts in...now it was running fine then i shut it off and it would bog when u hit the gas and not idle good then it would run fine again...it's also been backfiring a couple of times,,,any suggestions would be apprecited
[snapback]289514[/snapback]​
The same was happening to me after I rebuilt the engine. The fix was replacing the plugs. Some things to check.

Foalt level in carb.
Correct pilot jet .035"
Airscrew 1 1/2 turns out
Water in your Gas
Compresion Check of cylinders.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i had the carb looked at so it's fine....i'll make sure my air screw is set right...i put a new set of plugs in it...i will have to check compression..what should the compression be at...i'll by some water remover tommorrow...thanks for the help
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
i got 120 on both sides....it runs full throttle really good but won't idle and bogs till u get it up to speed.....if i let it idle it will run rough for about 10 seconds and slowly die....i take the plugs out there wet...could it be getting to much gas???
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wat i don't understand is that i just went out and fired it up 1 hour ago and wouldn't go....went out 10 min ago fired first pull and i hit the gas full on and she went really good for like 15 min it would idle the it started doin it again then it was good again ands so on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
could be the needle sticking a little and then dropping back down after a bump or something like that when it acts up tap on top of carb and see if it makes a difference
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
brought my sled to the shop and hes gonna fix it...thanks for the help
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top