Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have about 8-9000 km's on my 04. I put a stud thru the heat exchanger last year, figured it was a fluke and am now noticing that a few more have decided they liked life better in the bush someplace. The studs are gone, 5 total, no flap or tears, just a nice big hole where the studs used to be.
600 SDI X with 96 down the middle.

Weird part, I ride pretty hard but take it easy when the trail has rock or snirt sections......unlike my pals who are WFO no matter........they never seem to loose studs.

Question
1/ Should I be worried about how safe this is....??

2/ What should someone (me) expect for track life......we ride hard and its not alway in ideal lconditions, on the odd days we get caught or something on a crappy trail or area at beg and end of season.

3/ Where do I go from here.........repairs...?? replace....?? pull studs and ride on...??

Suggestions are....?? What would you do....?? I have had people tell me that its nothing to worry about and others tell me its a death wish....??

I may or may not be keepig this sled but I'm not sure that should be part of the equation.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What brand of studs were they? Were they Nyloc nuts? Did you use Loctite?

The holes are no problem, Camoplast sells tracks pre-drilled for studs and you don't have to stud them if you don't want to. Also, look at all the mountain riders drilling their tracks with 1-1/4" holes with no problems.

You may have gotten a batch of those bad studs floating around out there, there was a big to-do about them a while back. I can't remember who made them, but people were complaining that they were braking off.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

Studs are gold in color, have no ID on them, dealer installed with nylock nuts and looks like no locktite. Round aluminum backing plates.

The holes in the track are 1.5" dia.

Are you saying that the stud broke off and caused the track to rip out.....???

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm certainly no expert on studding.....I generaly sell sleds before they have problems or need track flip.

I was thinking the same thing, I removed a few studs this fall and checked. I would say they might have came a little loose over time if anything. The track had no cuts or idents in the runner on any of the studs I removed.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Equipment or installation. I had a problem once with plastic backers that kept cracking and then I would lose the stud. Turned out they had a bad batch of plastic. I removed them all and installed stainless backers. I would keep an eye on the rest, the heads should be even/flush with the inside of track. If they are tightened to much, the head will start to pull through the rubber of the track and depart. My 03 here has 5000 miles, four studs per paddle. Haven't lost one. (Yet)
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, how many studs is that total....??

I guess I'm just a bit worried about the safety and having to weld the exchanger again.

I wish there was more feed back on the new icr ripper from camoplast, looks interesting.

·
ammunta katselija
1,698 Posts
gormleyflyer2002 said:
Thanks, how many studs is that total....??

I guess I'm just a bit worried about the safety and having to weld the exchanger again.

I wish there was more feed back on the new icr ripper from camoplast, looks interesting.
[snapback]692755[/snapback]​
If you had some tear out right next to each other, or in a row on the edge. I would replace it. I had a mach z throw a track at a little over 100 mph with my brother riding it. My track had two studs tear out on the outer edge, not the same lug but two lugs in a row. I saw it before hand and thought it would be fine. It wasn't. One thing that I have noticed is if you use studs that are guaranteed not to bend or break they don't, but do tear out of the track. I only use Woody's gold diggers now they will bend sometimes, but I would rather replace a stud every once in a while rather than replace a track or an exchanger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.