Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of or recommend a good chrome plating company.. Southern Ontario area? I'd like to chrome the aluminum heat shields, belt guard and some other pieces on my Millenium Mach Z.

Thanks!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hey I really get your collection of sleds and cars !! Same taste LOL Camaro's and Mach Z's :))

I just bought Millenium # 293 from my Brother !! It has a 235hp 925 in it !!

I will also need chroming at some point . Trailing arms have started to peel a little .

Nice stuff Man !!! :))

Steve

Reactions: 2K3MachZ800

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totally agree bro!! and my trailing arms are just startin to peel a little bit too around the welds :(

I need the Mike Houle and our collections would be almost the same!

Anytime you are in the area, my garage is open to ya..Always cold beer in the fridge here!

cheers
cheers.gif.pagespeed.ce._mZoBJozyo.gif

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
There used to be a couple places in Cambridge. Steel parts can be done real well w/out copper, a double nickel plate instead, but alloys can't. It's really pricey when the 2 coppers are involved.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Totally agree bro!! and my trailing arms are just startin to peel a little bit too around the welds :(

I need the Mike Houle and our collections would be almost the same!

Anytime you are in the area, my garage is open to ya..Always cold beer in the fridge here!

cheers
cheers.gif.pagespeed.ce._mZoBJozyo.gif
Same here Man , I'm in the Ottawa area !! If you are ever down here !

I'll try and get to North Bay one of the radar weekends !! Maybe see you there

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good!! I wish i could figure out how to get my pictures to upload easier.. Ive got a lot more pictures, but the upload never works cause the file size is too large!?!

As far as the chroming is concerned.. im sure it will not be cheap!! One of the other members here has pictures of his "houle" with the chromed exhaust heat shields and it looks amazing! Pretty sure its chrome, either that or an incredible polish job!? Anyway, I want to chrome the skid rails too. My friend bought a millenium last year and one of the previous owners chromed the skid and it looks awesome, as well as being much easier to keep looking clean. Doesnt take long for the hand polished aluminum to look like shi#.

I guess i'll have to hunt around a little for the chrome platers in this area... didnt get many responses!
TgC_emoticon142.gif.pagespeed.ce.5xOqKkq

Reactions: 406z28

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I've restored and service classic cars, muscle cars and built hot rods ofr a bit over 40yrs. The $$$$ in chrome plating is the prep and polish. You may find a shop that will work with you and strip the old chrome and give them back. If you have the stuff and the patience you can doo most of the polishing yourself and save hundreds of $$$. I have local platers for different levels/materials. One doesn't do alloys like aluminum and diecast, one does it all. The shop that doesn't uses a 'grey nickel' for the base/fill portion of the job, a bright nickel for the shine before the chrome. The cost difference is substantial. I don't have a ph# handy, but the nickel shop is Micro Plating in Romulus, MI. Your freight might be a bit high and make it unaffordable but you won't know until you get different quotes. While I know a Milleneum sled should have the "real thing", there's been HUGE advances is powder coating that so closely resembles chrome it might be an option. Powder should hold up way better. Just a thought...

·
Registered
790 Posts
My buddy sent his car bumpers to a place in Quebec called gg buffing they did a real nice job and pricing was fair

·
Registered
832 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive heard Cambridge Chrome Plating is good aswell.. Also happens to only be 45 minutes from my house so i think i'll give them a try. Turns out after closer inspection of my exhaust heat shields that they are not worth chroming. There are several small spots where the corrosion is right through the piece. I dont think you can buy replacement pieces from ski-doo either??

·
Registered
790 Posts
Let us know what u end dooing and how it turns out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts