Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Just got back from my visit with the bone cracker and he said the back of my neck was a mess.

He told me with the amount of riding I do and the amount of moguls we have on our trails I must invest in a lighter helmet to save myself permanent neck damage.

(Of course moving bodies around doesn't help any either.)

I always wear a heated visor so goggles are out!!

I have been complaining to Papa for awhile now that my helmet is too heavy and I think I need a new one. (I am only on my third one this season)

Now after the chiropractic visit I think Papa is going to take me seriously!

Does anyone have any suggestions on the lightest weight helmet with heated visor??
Cost is not an issue.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
keep the helmet and get yourself a neck brace.. They look silly and are big and foamy but they will save your neck and back!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Go with the neck brace. Since my neck surgery I wear one. They are about 1.5inches square with and adjustable velcro strap. Puts the weight of the helmet on your sholders and not on your neck. The one I have is at this site:
http://www.randys-racemart.com/sfiapnecbrac.html

I also carry an extra one in my sled in case we come across any accidents. First thing people want to do is help someone up...WRONG! You can wrap this around a persons neck to stabilize the neck without removing the helmet.

The big plus also is it keeps any cold air from coming in from the back of your neck.

Hope this helps.

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,674 Posts
I switch from a heated visor type of helmit to a snowcross type w/goggles and don't have fogging or other related issues. Benifit of different tints(helps my old eyes see better!), better visibility, lighter weight helmit and have rode, with proper setup, below -30*f on high speed runs. I was concerned of switch but won't go back at this time. Too many +'s for me.
I bought my kids the neck brace to help support their melons. -Grover

·
Good at wrecking stuff.
5,634 Posts
The more money you spend on a helmet, the lighter they get. Or like Grover said, motocross style helmets are lighter and have better visibility as long as you can keep your face sealed off from the elements.

I'd say do some neck excercises also.

·
found elsewhere
11,916 Posts
Snowcross helmet all the way. Just find the lightest one you can. You shouldnt have a problem with your face getting cold if you get a good full face balaclava.
Sorry to hear about your neck.

·
Registered
639 Posts
the neckbrace is a great idea. I don't have a problem w/ my neck but it sounds like it could help if you fell off your sled. I use a bath towel wrapped around my sons neck/shoulder area to keep the weight of his helmet on his shoulders and to minimize head movement. He's 2 and loves to ride.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
MTM said:
Snowcross helmet all the way. Just find the lightest one you can. You shouldnt have a problem with your face getting cold if you get a good full face balaclava.
Sorry to hear about your neck.
[snapback]733244[/snapback]​
Agreed.

You'll love it Mama, get a no-fog mask and a light balaclava. It's amazing how much lighter they are.

A little exercise you can do is to link your fingers of both hands together behind your head. Put light pressure on the back of your head with the insides of your palms and use your neck muscles to push your hands back. Don't overdue it, but it will get your muscles working and gradually make them stronger. Do this once in a while and your neck condition should improve.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your help.....

As my head was used for many years as a punching bag I have lots of damage done to my neck.......whiplash dozens of times....so neck exercises don't really do any good anymore.

Snowcross helmet with goggles is not really good for me with the extreme conditions, my face gets cold now with a full balaclava and visor. I have had many blood vessels in my burst from the cold. Had to have some lazer surgery to get them fixed.

I think I am going to go with the neck brace as it sounds exactly like what I need!

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
I just ordered a Pro-X helmet support from Royal Distributing for Joanne.
She's right about the Sno X helmets, I've seen a few people wearing them up here but it's too cold for me, I'll keep my modular helmet, thanks ...

Thanks for the tips guys !

We're going to look at various kinds of helmets when we go south this summer to see if there's something light weight that has a heated shield available...our selection up here is not too good.

·
Registered
188 Posts
papasled said:
She's right about the Sno X helmets, I've seen a few people wearing them up here but it's too cold for me, I'll keep my modular helmet, thanks ...

We're going to look at various kinds of helmets when we go south this summer to see if there's something light weight that has a heated shield available...our selection up here is not too good.

[snapback]733367[/snapback]​
i have a hjc cs-12 snow w/heated shield. very light weight. not a modular,but, it works perfectly. i wore a modular, i think they are heavy too, for a girl/women. din't know for sure if they're DOT approved or not though. just a suggestion. sorry, ishould have read farther. i see she already has an hjc.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
stormyhiller said:
papasled said:

i have a hjc cs-12 snow w/heated shield. very light weight. not a modular,but, it works perfectly. i wore a modular, i think they are heavy too, for a girl/women. din't know for sure if they're DOT approved or not though. just a suggestion.
[snapback]733385[/snapback]​
pssst... that's exactly what she has now, I don't think it's a heavy helmet at all, but we'll try the helmet support thing and see how that goes.

Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
papasled said:
stormyhiller said:
papasled said:

i have a hjc cs-12 snow w/heated shield. very light weight. not a modular,but, it works perfectly. i wore a modular, i think they are heavy too, for a girl/women. din't know for sure if they're DOT approved or not though. just a suggestion.
pssst... that's exactly what she has now, I don't think it's a heavy helmet at all, but we'll try the helmet support thing and see how that goes.

Thanks

[snapback]733388[/snapback]​
sorry, i should have read farther. i see she already has an hjc.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
papasled said:
stormyhiller said:
papasled said:

Thanks

[snapback]733388[/snapback]​
PSSSSTTTT......I think I will be looking for a new husband soon, one that isn't such a smart a$$!!!

The darn helmet is heavy on my neck Papa....trust me!!!

Watch it or else you will loose your riding buddy then who would you pick on?? YK??

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry to hear about your neck problems.I hope im not jumping to conclusions but from reading your message I sure hope who ever it was that caused this recived the maximum allowed by law plus some. Hope you find something that will work. Best to you two.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DODOO MAN said:
Sorry to hear about your neck problems.I hope im not jumping to conclusions but from reading your message I sure hope who ever it was that caused this recived the maximum allowed by law plus some. Hope you find something that will work. Best to you two.
[snapback]733537[/snapback]​
He died two years ago from ALS. Thanks for your concern but I am great and long past this bad time!!

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts