Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
And...here.....we.....go.......
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had the Silverado for a few months now, and I must say I am unimpressed and would not be likely to buy another bowtie.
It is a 1500 (I know, I should've bought a 2500). I don't think the longevity of the truck is good. So far I've had to put quite a bit of $$ into it.

The latest event was a real downer.

On top of replacing the gauge cluster ($400.00), replacing the window regulator ($400.00), replacing the tie rod ends (about $150.00), now the truck has a new fuel pump (total cost........$872.00!!!!!). This turd died on me 2 weekends ago, and I had to have it towed.

I was scoping out a sand pit so junior and I could ride our quads (not much snow here, BIG SURPRISE), and the truck died.....it wouldn't restart, it would turn over, kinda sputter, but....no go. It seemed like a fuel problem, I really couldn't check the spark b/c it has coil packs, not a distributor. It seemed like the fuel pump wasn't working, so I checked the fuses, they were okay, and swapped the fuel pump relay with the horn relay (same part#), again.....no luck.
After fooling around with this mechanical beast, I figured the repair was beyond my capability, so a tow truck was in order. Bear in mind, I was not on the road, but dead in a sand pit. I lined up a tow truck locally from a guy who does auto repair, and had him fix it. I didn't go to my usual mechanic b/c the tow job, on a Saturday, would've required a second mortgage. They towed it in and fixed it.

Three times.

They originally found no power going to the fuel pump and there was a wire that had chafed thru on a cab mount. This was fixed, they drove the truck, but when I went to start it.......no go.
The mechanic banged on the gas tank, and the truck started. He told me the fuel pump was no good, so he then changed it. The pump alone was almost $400.00. He used a GM pump, not aftermarket.
Again they drove it, and it seemed good to go. I went to pick it up, and low and behold.....no go.
He banged on the tank again and the truck started. They decided to rip into it again. I called a friend who is a Chev mechanic (out of state) and he told me that those typically have connector plug problems on the fuel pump. I wondered if this was the cause from the start, but he told me the plugs often melt because the pump gets too hot, in which case the pump is junk anyway.
The mechanic changed the plug and cleaned all of the grounds. So far, so good. But, this whole debaucle cost $872.00, including the tow job.

Chevrolet.....like a rock.....too bad I can't throw it into a lake.........

Did I mention I used to own a Dodge that looks like this now????

Jerry

Attachments

·
5,656 Posts
Marc said:
What year is it and how many miles were on it when you got it? Do you know the history of the truck before you got it?

[snapback]688326[/snapback]​
It is a 1999, had just a hair over 100K, but it was unusually well cared for. I did a check (carfax) before I bought it and it came up clean. I can't say I bought a "lemon", because I had no problems for a couple of months, then it started to go downhill. Luckily it runs good, doesn't burn oil, sounds nice (Flowmaster exhaust), and looks great (no rust, rot, dents, or blemishes). But...I think I'll have trouble with it down the road.

You can see some of it in this pic:

Jerry

Attachments

·
Good at wrecking stuff.
5,634 Posts
I'd love to be the guy who charged you THAT much to change all those things! I changed the window regulator in my friend's Chevy for $75.00 and his fuel pump for about $250.00 if I remember correctly. The window problem is common but his fuel pump burned up because he went 160k on 2 fuel filters and he likes to run the truck on empty most of the time. That truck has 180-some-thousand on it now and he's replaced: window regulator, fuel pump, brakes, 2 u-joints, plugs and wires. I'll tell you what I've replaced on other friends' Dodges at 180k IF they ever make it that far.

·
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bengelp said:
I'd love to be the guy who charged you THAT much to change all those things! I changed the window regulator in my friend's Chevy for $75.00 and his fuel pump for about $250.00 if I remember correctly. The window problem is common but his fuel pump burned up because he went 160k on 2 fuel filters and he likes to run the truck on empty most of the time. That truck has 180-some-thousand on it now and he's replaced: window regulator, fuel pump, brakes, 2 u-joints, plugs and wires. I'll tell you what I've replaced on other friends' Dodges IF they ever make it that far.
[snapback]688343[/snapback]​
Unfortunately, the dealer did most of the work (other than the fuel pump). I figured with those type of things, the dealer would have the parts and know how to do the work correctly.

As far as Dodges go, my 1997 Ram was a gem. No real problems, other than universal joints.

I'd still be driving it if that knucklehead who hit me was thinking straight that day.....

Jerry

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
My chevys (gmc) had continual electrical problems with the 4 cruse controls, 3 wiper motors, 2 headlight switches, 1 distributor, headlights, relays, and fuses.

finally sold it for bigf150 and never looked back. now I have bought 5 fords and never been stranded again!

·
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FrozenGade said:
WWWAAAAAA!!!!

Buy a FORD.

Buy a Chevy and then come on here look'in for sympathy...that's like ViperER looking for sympathy when his Yammi doesn't run.
[snapback]688421[/snapback]​

Good one.....

G

·
CustomRev said:
Marc said:
What year is it and how many miles were on it when you got it? Do you know the history of the truck before you got it?

It is a 1999, had just a hair over 100K, but it was unusually well cared for. I did a check (carfax) before I bought it and it came up clean. I can't say I bought a "lemon", because I had no problems for a couple of months, then it started to go downhill. Luckily it runs good, doesn't burn oil, sounds nice (Flowmaster exhaust), and looks great (no rust, rot, dents, or blemishes). But...I think I'll have trouble with it down the road.

Jerry
[snapback]688341[/snapback]​
I`ll buy it off you for $1000.00 firm. I`d love to have a truck like that!

·
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
500ss man said:
CustomRev said:
Marc said:

Jerry
[snapback]688341[/snapback]​
I`ll buy it off you for $1000.00 firm. I`d love to have a truck like that!

[snapback]688493[/snapback]​
SOLD......TO THE MAN IN CANADA!!!!

I'll send it today, but unfortunately the shipping which I must arrange will be $11,000.00. I will accept cash or money order only. Actually, I'll only accept cash.

500SSman.......USD only......none of that Canadian monopoly money.......

Just kidding.

It's not for sale......YET.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
CustomRev said:
It is a 1500 (I know, I should've bought a 2500).
[snapback]688235[/snapback]​
Some things you have to learn the hard way. I think 1500s these days are designed for people who want to pick up a couple of bags of mulch at home depot once in a while, not for people who actually need a truck and use it like a truck..

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I think the biggest thing is its 7yrs old and has 100k on it, stuff is gonna go wrong. I'm a chevy hater, but even I won't blame the truck when its thats old with that many miles.

·
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BellevilleMXZ said:
I think the biggest thing is its 7yrs old and has 100k on it, stuff is gonna go wrong. I'm a chevy hater, but even I won't blame the truck when its thats old with that many miles.

[snapback]688545[/snapback]​
Heard and understood. I was in a little "financial" problem b/c what the insurance paid me when my Ram was totalled wasn't enough to replace it with a comparable truck, so I bought the Silverado for what I got paid off. (BTW-the accident wasn't my fault)

You live and learn.

Jerry

·
The 2nd most interesting man in the world
2,936 Posts
I have two Chevy vans !72,000 and 164,000 employee/ city driven miles . Each has had a fuel pump and water pump replaced. I'm trying to get 200,000 out of them . They are holding up rather well except for the side door hinges which corrode and freeze, a torch and WD-40 w/ an oil chaser frees em' up , just looks like hell. The bang on the tank saves a tow and worked for one of them. Good Luck with yours .

·
Registered
167 Posts
CustomRev said:
Well, I've had the Silverado for a few months now, and I must say I am unimpressed and would not be likely to buy another bowtie.
It is a 1500 (I know, I should've bought a 2500). I don't think the longevity of the truck is good. So far I've had to put quite a bit of $$ into it.

On top of replacing the gauge cluster ($400.00), replacing the window regulator ($400.00), replacing the tie rod ends (about $150.00), now the truck has a new fuel pump (total cost........$872.00!!!!!). This turd died on me 2 weekends ago, and I had to have it towed.

I was scoping out a sand pit so junior and I could ride our quads (not much snow here, BIG SURPRISE), and the truck died.....it wouldn't restart, it would turn over, kinda sputter, but....no go. It seemed like a fuel problem, I really couldn't check the spark b/c it has coil packs, not a distributor. It seemed like the fuel pump wasn't working, so I checked the fuses, they were okay, and swapped the fuel pump relay with the horn relay (same part#), again.....no luck.
After fooling around with this mechanical beast, I figured the repair was beyond my capability, so a tow truck was in order. Bear in mind, I was not on the road, but dead in a sand pit. I lined up a tow truck locally from a guy who does auto repair, and had him fix it. I didn't go to my usual mechanic b/c the tow job, on a Saturday, would've required a second mortgage. They towed it in and fixed it.

Three times.

They originally found no power going to the fuel pump and there was a wire that had chafed thru on a cab mount. This was fixed, they drove the truck, but when I went to start it.......no go.
The mechanic banged on the gas tank, and the truck started. He told me the fuel pump was no good, so he then changed it. The pump alone was almost $400.00. He used a GM pump, not aftermarket.
Again they drove it, and it seemed good to go. I went to pick it up, and low and behold.....no go.
He banged on the tank again and the truck started. They decided to rip into it again. I called a friend who is a Chev mechanic (out of state) and he told me that those typically have connector plug problems on the fuel pump. I wondered if this was the cause from the start, but he told me the plugs often melt because the pump gets too hot, in which case the pump is junk anyway.
The mechanic changed the plug and cleaned all of the grounds. So far, so good. But, this whole debaucle cost $872.00, including the tow job.

Jerry
If it makes you feel better...I had a 99' Silverado, new design and all. I put 5 miles on it ...yes 5 miles and the rear main seal went out. Dealer couldn't find one, to new of a model. GM sent a new motor and transmission-fixed, third door window fell out!-replaced. Steering went bad- GM buys back truck and replaced with a 2000. Since got rid of that truck- went to a crew cab 1500HD. I had the 6.0 engine in it, did every mod known to man to get better fuel economy never saw past 12mpg. This truck I have now is a 04' Crew cab with the Duramax diesel- great truck so far- if this one is junk I will own a Ford next for sure. Just my .02
Steve

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram with the Hemi and 50.000 miles. Zero problems, I only open the hood when I do oil changes. I have the Laramie Package and I can say it's the most comfortable trouble free miles I have ever had. Never went back to the dealer since new.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
CustomRev said:

Three times.

Jerry
I also have a '99 Silverado and I to think it is junk. I've always bought chevy but this latest style truck is crap. I was thinking of getting rid of it and going back to a mid 90s chevy... way better truck. Shop around for parts... don't go to the dealer if you can help it. I picked up a window regulator with motor for $145 cdn. I to have to replace a tie rod and have to change the water pump pronto. The other thing other than everything breaking on this truck is the rust underneath. Everything is rusting away before my eyes... and yes it's been undercoated even though GM doesn't recommend it. Chevy really goofed when they designed this truck. Has you ABS computer gone yet? When it goes, I can get you one for $675 cdn... cheaper than the dealer can get it... let me know.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.