Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020.5 850 Turbo
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Order the tool kit from C-T to do my clutches on my wife’s 600R and my factory turbo. Her clutches were extremely dirty, but in pretty good shape. My turbo on the other hand, I was shocked to find broken roller bearings! I have maybe 600 miles on the sled and was amazed to find them. I was hoping that all I was going to have to do was install my iBackshift clutch kit and lube these bearings, but now I gotta order parts. Also, my spring was wearing into itself and is that normal for the ramps to kick up at the end?
Check your clutches people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020.5 850 Turbo
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spring is normal design that is in P-drive now from BRP. Rollers can and will need grease at some point, some came from factory with very little. Chris from C&T has a grease tool w/grease available for them ;)

-Grover
I got that grease tool adapter the other day, I was just shocked to see the bearings were already junk. I hit up the rest of the guys in my group and told them they need to get their sleds over to me so I can make sure they have enough grease on their bearings.

The Springs both look like they Are broke. I checked mine and the wife’s sled and the spring both have that jagged edge. Just gotta wait for Joe to get my clutch kits out and I will reassemble both clutches with new kits and parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
646 Posts
Anyone else remembering the durability and longevity promises from BRP when the P-drive was introduced?

I've seen nothing yet suggesting the P-drive will last longer than a TRA between rebuilds....... and the P-drive is an expensive beast to repair!

On my new Summit I will lube the rollers immediately when I get it!

·
Registered
2020.5 850 Turbo
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone else remembering the durability and longevity promises from BRP when the P-drive was introduced?

I've seen nothing yet suggesting the P-drive will last longer than a TRA between rebuilds....... and the P-drive is an expensive beast to repair!

On my new Summit I will lube the rollers immediately when I get it!
From my experience with the TRA clutches, they were a pain to maintain due to the buttons and the o-rings. It seemed like every time I cleaned my clutches, I was replacing parts on it. This is the first time that I have really messed with my P-Drive clutch and the parts were about the same as what I would pay for the buttons/o-rings for the TRA. If this is the only time that I have to replace the rollers (now that I have grease attachment), I will be happy as it will be cheaper to run this clutch than the TRA. I personally like taking this clutch apart more than the TRA

·
Metalhead
9,101 Posts
Ive seen the rollers grind up like 1x in my whole pdrive career. Not saying they don’t. I think my own were on the verge of becoming ground up mush if I did not lube them up because they were stiff to turn. Ive pulled them out, brake kleen, put that white grease back in and hammer down....

Needle bearings fail from these causes
Foreign material [dirt, dust, salt, etc]
Misassembly – missing rolling element or damaged rolling element.
Insufficient lube.

·
Registered
2020.5 850 Turbo
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive seen the rollers grind up like 1x in my whole pdrive career. Not saying they don’t. I think my own were on the verge of becoming ground up mush if I did not lube them up because they were stiff to turn. Ive pulled them out, brake kleen, put that white grease back in and hammer down....

Insufficient lube.
I will make sure to keep the new ones always lubed now. Joe, what is your take on the lip towards the outer portion of the ramps? Does it have anything to do with the primary clutch being fully engaged along with overdrive?

·
I Just Wanna Ride Man
2,429 Posts

Insufficient lube.
Does it have to be that isoflex grease? Or any grease will do?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
646 Posts
Any grease is better than no grease.
Have been using whatever happens to be in my grease gun for the last few years and no disasters has befallen my primary from that.
I Grease at least once a season.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been working a lot with pDrive clutches since 2018. I have done maintenance and adjusting to about +30 different sleds and also opened my own clutches about 8-15 times per season.

Only issues I have seen is these rollers getting stuck and some harder race springs snapping. If you dont fix this, you will get problems sooner or later for sure. Rollers should be checked in the beginning and middle of season. If they are sticky or not moving properly: open, clean and grease them and see if the bearings are ok.

In my experience, pdrive is excellent clutch, but I recommend to have proper tools when working on it. Personally I don´t miss TRA a bit!

·
I Just Wanna Ride Man
2,429 Posts
I have been working a lot with pDrive clutches since 2018. I have done maintenance and adjusting to about +30 different sleds and also opened my own clutches about 8-15 times per season.

Only issues I have seen is these rollers getting stuck and some harder race springs snapping. If you dont fix this, you will get problems sooner or later for sure. Rollers should be checked in the beginning and middle of season. If they are sticky or not moving properly: open, clean and grease them and see if the bearings are ok.

In my experience, pdrive is excellent clutch, but I recommend to have proper tools when working on it. Personally I don´t miss TRA a bit!
Any good videos or a read up so a guy can learn more about the p drive. I have experience opening up the TRA and maintenance on them. But the p drive is brand new to me and would like to be able to maintain it myself.

·
Registered
2020.5 850 Turbo
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any good videos or a read up so a guy can learn more about the p drive. I have experience opening up the TRA and maintenance on them. But the p drive is brand new to me and would like to be able to maintain it myself.

Dynamoe Joe has a Youtube channel and he shows how to disassemble a P-Drive in order to install a clutch kit, but it is also very informative on how to remove and disassemble the clutch. I watched that just to get a heads up on what needs to be done to take it apart for servicing.

·
I Just Wanna Ride Man
2,429 Posts
Dynamoe Joe has a Youtube channel and he shows how to disassemble a P-Drive in order to install a clutch kit, but it is also very informative on how to remove and disassemble the clutch. I watched that just to get a heads up on what needs to be done to take it apart for servicing.
Thanks man

·
Metalhead
9,101 Posts

BUDDY.... there is the first vid on talking pDrive ramp theory. Im kinda dry but as the vidyas go on, i get loosened up and less stiff.
Ive new videos i have to finish editing and upload. Ugh...1.5 years since i done an upload.
and

·
I Just Wanna Ride Man
2,429 Posts
BUDDY.... there is the first vid on talking pDrive ramp theory. Im kinda dry but as the vidyas go on, i get loosened up and less stiff.
Ive new videos i have to finish editing and upload. Ugh...1.5 years since i done an upload.
and
Thanks Joe appreciate it. Want to do some maintenance on my clutch and if stuff needs replacing just do a clutch kit at the same time. These videos will help.

·
Banshee Builder
2022 backcountryXRS // 2019 BC 850- 16,238miles traded
8,564 Posts
i had 2 rollers seize more than once in my last 850 but had way more than 600 miles put on them. ive since bough some iso grease and planned to grease them at 2000 miles, i think i will be doing them at 1000 now

·
Registered
178 Posts
Besides the ramp rollers going dry, another problem i have found is the channels in the spider wear quickly. this in turn causes the torque rollers to develop flat spots. I went through 3 sets of torque rollers in 1500 miles before i figured out the problem and had to buy a new spider. $330 later and it seems to have fixed the problem. Time will tell. IMO these P Drive clutches work well but require more maintenance than the old TRAs.
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Bicycle part Tire

1 - 20 of 23 Posts