Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and gentleman, just wanted to pass along my issue. I purchased a Bearing Buddy last fall and to start off to be very clear it was NOT from Chris at C&T. I like many people search for the best price (which is almost never best quality, shame on me). I found one somewhere in Western Canada with syringe and Iso for something like $120. I bought it and installed it as specified and filled with I believe 10 mg Iso per instructions. The model I have has "BUILT4SPEED" stamped in it. I went for a weekend ride a month ago, (was first ride of season and haven't ridden since) and put on about 200 miles. Mind you this was with fresh Iso. After the first day I noticed some grease "sprayed" from behind the primary. I chalked it up to too much Iso in there coming out the 5psi relief valve in the Bearing Buddy. After the weekend there was more grease sprayed around. So cut to today, I'm sitting at home and decide to check things out. I pull the primary and remove the BB to find almost no grease left in the bearings, just some barely coating the bearings. I inspect the BB to see the large o-ring on the outer diameter that seals the BB to the crank housing and it has flatspots and looks crushed in some areas. It's almost as if that o-ring was too fragile, too small in diameter to make a good seal. I can see where grease was getting out there. Now the o-ring/spring that seals around the crank also seems to be too thin of material to do as it is supposed to. A good amount of grease had seeped from here. Now I'm not saying for sure my BB was defective, there is the possibility I have excessive crank runout, but I didn't have this issue with the factory seal and at idle there is very little if any wobble on my primary. There could be other possibilities, maybe someone can chime in, but I just wanted to bring this to other people's attention as there seem to be a couple different models of the BB. I for one will be going back to the factory seal, at least for the rest of the season till I can figure things out some more.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Sounds like you caught it in time. I don't have the BB but I'm sure others will thank you when they check theirs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, definately in time, like I said there is still a coating on the bearings. I'm going up north again thus weekend and no question id be hurting at the end of that trip...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts