Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the portage lake trail is open? Or has anyone been on the RR between the two? I've read online that sleds can hit the RR but may be wet.

I tried calling the Greenlight like the map says but rang and rang and rang.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
We were there this past weekend canal looked soft still. Last year we ran the canal from Houghton to chassel.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I always turn left on the road out of the Green Light parking lot, and ride the edge of roads until you hit the Bill Nichols road near Painesdale. It sucks, but it's about 7.5 miles on the road then you're on a dynamite trail heading toward Houghton.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Ok so there is a way/road to go west out of Chassell and hit trail 3 then up to Houghton?

Anyone else know if Portage Lake and the canal are frozen up well in the past few days?
There is no way I would go on that this year.

·
doughnut boy
12,644 Posts
We were there this past weekend canal looked soft still. Last year we ran the canal from Houghton to chassel.
We ran that last year from Chassel to Houghton was nice. Seen a HWY patrol at the gas station in Chassel ask if it was froze. He warned us to still on Chassel / Houghton side. Ice tends to thinner over on the northeast / east side in areas.

I did see some tracks going across the canal by the bridge in Houghton this last Saturday 16th

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Screw that noise, I wouldn't be on that ice this time of year. It just froze over last week finally.

That dotted trail runs along the roads as noted above. That's the only way to get across without going down by twin lakes.

Steve

Reactions: Mach189

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Screw that noise, I wouldn't be on that ice this time of year. It just froze over last week finally.

That dotted trail runs along the roads as noted above. That's the only way to get across without going down by twin lakes.

Steve
Thank you

I think we're gonna take our chances with the dotted Rd line.

Gonna hit they hay, but any more Intel is much appreciated, I'll be sure to report trail from Ish/BigBay/to Houghton tmw

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
good luck, theres tons of snow up there in some places right now! im not sure that they groom any of it along the roads but it would be fun anyway for a while.

be safe and keep the rubber side down.

steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts