Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the easiest way to charge the battery? Do I have to remove the airbox and all of the stuff to get the battery out? It looks like a PAIN to do.

Anyone have any thoughts???

·
Registered
586 Posts
imdski, Hook your charger to the big positive cable on the starter, the negitive to where the battery is grounded on the sled, or any place you get a good ground.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure that I will not damage any of the components, solenoid, switch, etc. ?

Does anyone have a better or different way?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Its a pain in the "edit for bad language" to doo but you have to take the air box off and pull the battery, i have to do it every year with the formula plus. most of the time i have to add acid to it to.

·
Registered
586 Posts
imdski, if you think you have to add acid or water to the battery you have to get it out of the sled, it's no big job, should only take about 10 minutes. If your only going to charge the battery do it like I said, you won't damage anything.

Another question is why isn't the battery charging when you run the sled?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, I have not tried to charge it yet or pull the battery, but what would cause it not to charge? When I turn the key, I get a "click" but no movement on the starter.

What can I check? How do I know if I need a new battery?

·
Registered
148 Posts
lmdski said:
Hi, I have not tried to charge it yet or pull the battery, but what would cause it not to charge? When I turn the key, I get a "click" but no movement on the starter.

What can I check? How do I know if I need a new battery?
[snapback]750179[/snapback]​
It looks scary to get the airbox out, but it's realy no big deal. Disconnect all of the connectors coming from the MPEM, which is the square computer attached to the top of the air box. There are 4, each has a different connector, so you can't get them mixed up. Actualy, there are 5, but one goes to the air temperature sensor that is in the airbox. You don't need to disconnect that one, as it will obviously come out with the air box. You don't need to remove the MPEM from the airbox either. On the sides of the airbox, are two rubber straps, which keep the airbox in place. Remove them from the engine side, right beside the carburetors. Next, remove the DPM manifold from the front clips on the airbox. Rotate the top of the airbox forward, and up at the same time, and it will come right out.

DON'T TRY to charge the battery by connecting to the positive terminal on the starter motor, there is a solenoid between that, and the battery, so the current won't get back to the battery anyway, but the starter motor will start to turn over.
There are two positive terminals on the solenoid, one from the battery, and the other goes to the starter motor. You would need to clip onto the one coming from the battery, but when you look, you will see that it is a very cramped space, and fiddling around down there is dangerous for certain. After you charge the battery, if you still have the clicking sound, it could be your solenoid that is fried, but it could also be the key switch. Mine is acting up at this time.

I don't think that changing the solenoid would be a difficult job, but be sure that you disconnect the battery leads first.

Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.