Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of doing a wrap on one of my sleds. The color of the side panel however would not match the wrap. I would like to change the little bit seen between wrap pieces from yellow to black. Any thoughts. Spray paint? Tape? Extra wrap material? Also what is a good way to remove a wrap? Thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
Heat to remove the old stickers.

If you are not interested in new panels, and do not want to destroy your old ones by painting them for the gaps in the stickers, I would suggest plasti-dip. It is a removable rubber paint that should work for what you want. I am fairly sure stickers will adhere to it.

look it up, you would only need a few coats for black between the sticker gaps.

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
Depends how picky you are. You could paint the panels with Krylon Fusion and it would look decent. Trying to tape in the edges with Vinyl wouldn't work well imo. But I'm a picky person and would only consider swapping out the panels for black ones to start with. A heat gun or hair dryer will make short work of removing a wrap. Clean up with adhesive remover, try on a small inside area first to make sure it doesn't harm the panel. WD 40 is good at removing adhesive and won't harm the plastic, but it will have to be clened off if you're reapplying decals. Rubbing alcohol works well for that. What sled are you doing this to? If you have nice panels with good decals, you may be able to swap for little money.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about changing the running board color? I don't feel like removing the entire tunnel to convert but not sure what options might be? Auto paint with a clear with good hardener?

·
Registered
811 Posts
What about changing the running board color? I don't feel like removing the entire tunnel to convert but not sure what options might be? Auto paint with a clear with good hardener?
I would say your best bet is a tunnel wrap and after market running boards. While a couple people have had decent luck painting tunnels most dont and they end up chipping and looking pretty bad.

Whats your end goal? Most of the time wraps cover any neutral colored sled (black, white, etc) pretty well. Unless yours is yellow and you're going to red to something I'm sure it won't be as noticeable as you think..

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at plasti dip and it looks like this will be a good option. My question is... Would you spray right over existing wrap and panels or remove wrap? If it would not damage the wrap it might be nice to go back if desired later. Thoughts?

·
Registered
811 Posts
It won't damage the wrap plasti dip is super user friendly

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
860 Posts
I wouldn't do plastidip under a wrap. Just a band aid on a bigger problem. The plastidip will rub of gas soon as a tree or anything rubs it hard enough. I would think the wrap will peel off the dip quicker than off a bare body panel. Most quality wraps now have great coverage that it really doesn't matter what colour is under, when it's installed correctly you'll never see it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm hearing the plasti dip is not that durable can you spay something over it to protect it like a clear?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone ever paint skis? I saw some custom yellow painted ones last week and was wondering what product they used but did not have time to ask.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The plasti-dip would be durable enough to just go where the cracks would be. Thats what your looking for, right? to cover the gaps in black underneath the stickers? Its true, it dose not do well with gas, so just dont to the center console. I plasti-dipped most of my sled this year and it was held up ok. A few nicks from trees but i have done some off trail riding. Did the back of the windshield for the gloss look, and stenciled on the registration numbers.

They sell a gloss coating for it, but if you were to use real clear coat it would not be as easy to remove.

From this

_27_zps3w30k8ml.jpg

To this - Right over existing stickers.

_27%201_zps0h4jf407.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts