Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So factory metal skis are junk, bottoms are worn out by previous owner not changing wear bars. I have a friend that will sell me a good set of MXZ plastic skis. (50 for the pair, I figured cant go wrong).

so......

what parts am i going to need to finish this install and do it correctly.

rubber mounts?

carbides, wear bars?

or will they simply bolt on?

or are they not worth the effort and just get new ones..

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
What year is the donor MXZ? I suspect they will be the standard 2000 era ski doo flex skis. A good upgrade.

Lots of write ups on this mod and yes, it is easy. Do a search and read up on it.

You'll need...

The rubber ski stops for the flex skis.

4, 1/2 locking collars from the HW store or, stack up some washers to make up for the more narrow spindle you likely have.

snorander has a good thread on this mod and he'll be along shortly I'm sure but you can check out his content and see some pics of how it should go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well tried to search, came up with a few hits but no pics and some of the parts are obsolete it seems...

maybee I am doing something wrong

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Google, ebay, the spacers are not discontinued (part # 506133300) I just had the dealer order me a pair this fall. You should have no problem finding what you need. 2 spacers, the mounting bolts and nuts, locking collars (at you local hardware store) and the ski rubbers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Google, ebay, the spacers are not discontinued (part # 506133300) I just had the dealer order me a pair this fall. You should have no problem finding what you need. 2 spacers, the mounting bolts and nuts, locking collars (at you local hardware store) and the ski rubbers.
so the locking collars take up the space between the bracket and the spindle?

the spacers take up the difference in bolt size through the spindle?

am i correct.

and just get 10mm bolts and nuts and thats it.

along with new spring rubber?

i think I can handle this.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
so the locking collars take up the space between the bracket and the spindle?

the spacers take up the difference in bolt size through the spindle?

am i correct.

and just get 10mm bolts and nuts and that's it.

along with new spring rubber?

i think I can handle this.
Yup you got this! You have to remove the old spacers from your spindles. It's a piece of cake. The hardest part was cutting down the rubbers to fit :)

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
21,032 Posts
Yup you got this! You have to remove the old spacers from your spindles. It's a piece of cake. The hardest part was cutting down the rubbers to fit :)
X2. Awesome upgrade on these sleds.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
On those collars...most hardware stores will carry them. If you can't find them, simply stack up washers to fill the gap. This works just as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On those collars...most hardware stores will carry them. If you can't find them, simply stack up washers to fill the gap. This works just as well.
ok, I might have to drive to the city to find some of those, my hardware store looked at me like I was talking russian to them when I asked last night.....

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
13852_400x400.jpg

Just in case you're unclear what it looks like. If I remember correctly the correct ones are 1/2" thick.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
13852_400x400.jpg

Just in case you're unclear what it looks like. If I remember correctly the correct ones are 1/2" thick.
so I picked up my skis yesterday.

got a set of ski doo plastic skis from a 1999 mxz. in great shape, but the holes through the mounts have a spacer in them.. is this all I need? along with the bushings through the spindle.

Also picked up a set of simmons flexi for the wifes polaris for 100 for the two sets..

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
ok, I might have to drive to the city to find some of those, my hardware store looked at me like I was talking russian to them when I asked last night.....
I've found these at farm supply stores in our area. Fleet Farm in Fargo will have them...yeah I know the distance :smile_old: Tractor Supply or many implement dealers would have them too I expect.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
And those red loops are always good for an extra hp or 6.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so tried to install the skis this weekend and ran into a problem

The spacer #506133300 does not fit the spindle on my 1995 Formula STX. I looked at this two ways. If I remove the factory installed bushing from spindle the hole through the metal is way way to large for the spacer to fit correctly. And there is no way to drive the spacer in the factory installed spacer. So I must have the wrong spacer (checked packaging and found #506133300). So I will need to drill the factory bushing out enough for the new bushings to fit snugly into or what?

what gives? do I need a bushing that holds the bushing into the spindle?

was frustrated because I had a warm day and tore sled apart and didnt get to ride. arrrggghh..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So..... Seems that my skis were a bit different than what everyone runs when they swap the skis. My plastic skis were from a 1998 MXZ. Changed the front grab handles to red no problem. the aluminum saddle part has very large holes in it. there were bushings that kinda press into this hole and also take up space between the spindle and saddle. they are 12mm hole after I realized I didnt need the bushings in the spindle. everything is 12mm i guess so all I needed was some longer 12mm bolts, nuts and washers.

Installed and wow big difference. Had to ride on some hard crusty snow and the turning and handling was way above the factory metal skis.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
so tried to install the skis this weekend and ran into a problem

The spacer #506133300 does not fit the spindle on my 1995 Formula STX. I looked at this two ways. If I remove the factory installed bushing from spindle the hole through the metal is way way to large for the spacer to fit correctly. And there is no way to drive the spacer in the factory installed spacer. So I must have the wrong spacer (checked packaging and found #506133300). So I will need to drill the factory bushing out enough for the new bushings to fit snugly into or what?

what gives? do I need a bushing that holds the bushing into the spindle?

was frustrated because I had a warm day and tore sled apart and didnt get to ride. arrrggghh..
Strange, all I had to do was take the original bushing off the spindle (2 bushings per spindle) and put the new one in. Fit perfectly on the 2 sleds I did. But glad to see you got it squared away. Yes, they make a huge difference!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts